CIMARRON MIDDLE SCHOOL FEBRUARY 2019
Dear Cimarron Families,
February is a busy month of focusing on academics and attendance, wrapping up winter sports and kicking off spring sports, and preparation for spring orchestra, vocal, and band competitions. During February our young scholars have the opportunity to participate in an art project or essay for Black History Month. Submissions are due by February 28 to our 8th-grade counselor, Leslie Singleton.
Tomorrow, February 12 we have the opportunity to vote on the district’s school bond proposal. Passage of the bond would increase school security, fund the construction of new schools and classroom additions and provide money for technology and school equipment. At Cimarron, the bond would fund a new roof and flooring for our campus.
For more information on the bond election, please visit EdmondSchools.net. Thank you for voting on February 12th.
“We all have dreams. In order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort.”- Jesse Owens, world record-setting Olympic athlete
Members of the Edmond School Board have voted to bring before patrons a $93 million bond issue February 12, 2019, to increase school security, upgrade and improve school buildings and fund the construction of classroom additions and new schools. Nearly $40M of the bond issue would be used to purchase land and fund the construction of two elementary schools.
“Many of our elementary schools are full and we have had to bring in portable buildings in order to have adequate space for the students,” said Superintendent Bret Towne. “The construction of numerous apartment complexes in the Southwest quadrant of our district and large housing additions east of I-35 necessitates building new schools in these areas to accommodate for the growth in our elementary student population.”
The district has already purchased land at Douglas and Coffee Creek for an elementary school. Ideally, the district would like to build another elementary school in the far Southwest quadrant of the district in the Quail Springs Mall area.
Other noteworthy updates and improvements in the 2019 bond proposal include $3.7M for enhanced safety features at schools. Last spring, the district formed a committee comprised of staff, students, parents, community members, law enforcement, and federal officials to review the district’s current security procedures and practices.
All registered voters who live within Edmond Public School district boundaries qualify to vote including those residents who live outside the city limits of Edmond. Individuals should vote at their regular precincts.
IMPORTANT DATES - CLASS OF 2023
Attention 8th Grade students and families. Mark your calendars for these important dates:
Tuesday, February 12
- Counselors will be at Cimarron to help students enter course requests.
Tuesday, February 19 and Monday, February 25
- 8th Grade students interested in trying out for Pom or Cheer at EMHS must come to a REQUIRED informational meeting 6:00 pm in the Lecture Hall. In order to try out, you and a parent MUST attend one of the meetings. Check out the yellow flyer in the office for more information.
Tuesday, February 26
- 4:45 pm - 7:00 pm Enrollment Questions & Answer Night - LAST NAMES A - L at Edmond Memorial. Freshman advisors meet individually with each student and their parents to answer any questions they may have about enrollment, sports, and elective classes. Families served on a first-come, first served basis!
Wednesday, February 27
- 4:45 pm - 7:00 pm Enrollment Questions & Answer Night - LAST NAMES M - Z at Edmond Memorial. Freshman advisors meet individually with each student and their parents to answer any questions they may have about enrollment, sports, and elective classes. Families served on a first-come, first served basis!
Congratulations to our Winter Sports programs - basketball and wrestling. All of our teams had success on the court and the mat. It was exciting to watch them grow and develop as players and as a team. Thank you to all of our fans that cheered them on throughout the season!
Spring Sports Parent Meeting is February 11 at 6:00 pm
Please make plans to attend our informational parent meeting. At this time our coaches will be explaining important information in regards to their specific programs. Coaches will explain their expectations for their student-athletes and information in regards to their perspective sport as we prepare for the spring season.
Track meeting - Cafeteria
Tennis meeting - Media Center
Boys Golf meeting - Practice Gym
Girls Golf meeting - Room 112 8th Grade Hall
Baseball - Baseball had their meeting previously in order to properly prepare for ordering equipment. Please contact Matt Loch with any specific questions.
If your student plans to play a SPRING sport and you have not already signed onto Rank One please do so now. You may access Rank One on the district website under athletics. At Rank One, please complete all required student and parent forms before a student is eligible to practice. In addition, all student-athletes must have a current physical on file. All requirements MUST be completed before a student can practice.
Please check our Panther website or Rank One for dates and further details.
Spring Sports Coaches:
7/8 Boys Golf firstname.lastname@example.org
7/8 Girls Golf email@example.com
7/8 Head Boys/Girls Tennis firstname.lastname@example.org
7/8 Asst. Boys/Girls Tennis email@example.com
7/8 Head Boys Track firstname.lastname@example.org
7/8 Asst. Boys Track email@example.com
7/8 Head Girls Track firstname.lastname@example.org
7/8 Asst. Girls Track email@example.com
8 Head Baseball firstname.lastname@example.org
8 Asst. Baseball email@example.com
Eligibility is run every Wednesday evening and if a student is on probation, they have that week to make it up and will still be able to compete the following week (Monday-Saturday). If they are ineligible they will not be able to compete the following week and must get their grade up before the next eligibility is ran or the student will not be able to compete the following week (Monday-Saturday).
IMPORTANT ATTENDANCE REMINDERS
Absences should be reported on the day a student is out, including how many days absence is anticipated, by contacting the Cimarron office at 405-340-2935. Students may then submit documentation upon return, or ask the provider to fax notes directly to the Cimarron office at 405-330-3398.
Original documentation is required for all medical, judicial, bereavement and religious absences. Per district policy, please make parent notifications to excuse absences within 5 days of the event. Attendance policy information may be found in the Student Handbook @ the following link:
MARK YOUR CALENDARS
February 13 Spring Picture Day!
February 13 Invention Convention
February 15 Fun Food Friday!
February 18 President's Day - NO SCHOOL!!
February 21 Papa Murphy's Pizza Night
February 27 CPTO Pizza Day!
March 4 - 8 National STEM Week!
March 8 & 9 Oklahoma, Jr. Musical!
March 8 Fun Food Friday!
March 18 - 22 Spring Break! NO SCHOOL!!
April 19 April Day - NO SCHOOL!!
Check out the Cimarron calendar at https://cimarron.edmondschools.net/calendar/ for other important dates!
SUPPORT EMHS SWINE WEEK 2019 COMMON THREAD
For 34 years, EMHS students, along with vertical Middle Schools and Elementary Schools have raised over $6.5million for charity. Each year the Middle Schools raise money during Swine Week to support the Common Thread, an organization chosen by all three high schools to receive 5% of each school's final total.
This year's Common Thread is Pivot Inc., an organization whose purpose is to advocate, educate and guide youth and families to make a positive difference in their lives.
Check out www.SwineWeek.Org for fun events supporting this year's Swine Week recipient and Common Thread. Interested in Swine Week merchandise and clothing? Check out https://www.swineweek.org/merchandise/
Watch for details in March on fun events at Cimarron to support the Common Thread!! #PanthersLoveToGive
GOOD TO KNOW
- In the event of a school emergency/situation, Mr. Schmidt will communicate quickly to parents through the SchoolWay app. If you have a smartphone, please download this app: www.myschoolway.com, select Cimarron and set up your device for push notifications.
- If you are having problems with your Parent Portal account, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Panther Pals are parent volunteers helping on a weekly basis in the workroom. Contact the CPTO to sign up!
- Pizza Day is a monthly event during lunch hosted by the CPTO. The money raised benefits Cimarron! The circle of…pizza! $1 per slice / $10 per box, $1 - Drinks
- Fun Food Friday is a twice a month sweet treat fundraiser for students. Everything is $1 and sold during the day by our awesome Panther Parents. Cash/check only!
- Panther Grill is a monthly luncheon for students who are nominated by their teachers for displaying a recognizable positive character trait.
- The Golden Paw/AOK Award Assembly is a monthly grade level assembly to recognize and commend students for exceptional qualities.
- Please continue to collect Box Tops. They all add up to benefit Cimarron Panthers!
- This Panther Prowl newsletter is produced monthly by Cimarron Middle School. If you have submissions, photos or suggestions, please contact Mr. Schmidt’s secretary, Robbi Kinnaird at email@example.com. We would love to hear from you.
CIMARRON MIDDLE SCHOOL
Principal Gabe Schmidt
Assistant Principal Carrie Higdon
Assistant Principal Link Lowe
School Hours - 7:50 AM - 2:40 PM
Office Hours - 7:15 AM - 3:15 PM.