December 2015-Ashford University Newsletter
Military Development and Engagement
The Military Community Newsletter at Ashford University was designed as a way for you to learn and share community events, resources, and key topics relevant to service members, veterans, and their families nationwide. Please contact Ashford's Military Development and Engagement Specialist if you have questions or additional resources you would like to share with your fellow military community.
IN THIS ISSUE
- Join Ashford's Student Veteran Organization
- DMV Veteran Designation
- National Military Family Association
- LinkedIn: Fall Into Networking Series
- A Look Back at Operation Dress Code
- Become a CHAMPS Peer Mentor
- Ashford America's Mighty Warrior 5K Fundraiser Results
- Previous Editions
- Citations and URL Image Retrieval
With nearly 70% of employees finding jobs through a personal connection, start building your network today! Join the Students Veterans Organization and meet other Ashford best and brightest! (Morgan, H. 2014, September 17)
DMV Veteran Designation
The word "VETERAN" will be printed to the left of the smaller photo for applicants 21 years of age or older and below the person's signature for applicants between the ages of 18 and 21.
NOTE: To obtain a veteran designation, the applicant must visit their County Veteran Service Office to obtain an eligibility form then submit the completed form in-person to the DMV.
Click here for more information.
NATIONAL MILITARY FAMILY ASSOCIATION
The National Military Family Association is the “go to” source for Administration Officials, Members of Congress, and key decision makers when they want to understand the issues facing our families. They also offer several programs to military families, including:
•Military Spouse Scholarships – Applications open December 1, 2015 - January 31, 2016
•Operation Purple® Camps
•Operation Purple Family Retreats®
•Operation Purple Healing Adventures®
LinkedIn: Fall Into Networking Series On LinkedIn
- Connect with key human resources professionals and hiring managers from the companies and organizations of Military Spouse Employment Partnership Class of 2015
- Network with other military spouses and share employment experiences
- Ask questions and get feedback
- Discover new employment resources and services
Operation Dress Code
Ashford University found a unique way to honor San Diego’s service members this Veterans Day by hosting the Dress Code event at the University’s headquarters in Kearny Mesa. The event, held on Saturday, Nov. 14, was intended to help women who are veterans enter the civilian workforce with confidence. More than 50 veterans participated in the event.
At the Dress Code event, female veterans were given a chance to select free clothing, shoes, handbags, and accessories to create a professional wardrobe that will help them make a strong first impression during job interviews. Personal shoppers were on hand to assist the veterans with wardrobe selections.
The Dress Code was presented in collaboration with CalVet, VetFund, the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce, 2-1-1 San Diego, One San Diego, and the Veterans Museum and Memorial Center at Balboa Park. This was the first Dress Code event held in San Diego.
Develop your leadership skills while helping a new student build their confidence in an online learning environment. C.H.A.M.P.S. stands for Collaborative, Holistic, Academic Mentoring for Peer Success.
Ashford AMW's Silver Strand 5K Event Update!
The Ashford AMW team had a blast raising money for America's Mighty Warriors on Veterans Day Weekend. We were able to raise $2,096 in donations that will go straight to the Helping Heroes Heal Program; a program that assists veterans with PTSD and TBI locate treatment facilities in their local area, and then covers the cost of treatment.
One of the primary treatments resulting in very positive results is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. This treatment is not available through the VA and consists of 40 consecutive, 1 hour daily sessions. Most facilities charge up to $200 a session.
Take a look at moments captured from the Silver Strand 5K Ashford AMW Team.
* The newsletter may contain now or in the future links to other websites, such as links to military charities, discounts or offers, or other third parties that may provide services or products to you. These links and this information is being provided to you for your convenience and as a resource. We are not responsible for the privacy practices, the content of, or any other actions of such other websites or their owners or operators, information they may collect or information they may share. Further, the inclusion of an organization on this newsletter does not indicate an endorsement of such organization (or of any religious or political point of view promoted by such organization) by Ashford University or its affiliates.
Citations and URL Image Retrieval
- Morgan, H. (2014, September 17). Don't Believe These 8 Job Search Myths. Retrieved December 9, 2015, from http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2014/09/17/dont-believe-these-8-job-search-myths
- Veteran DMV Designation
- Military Family Association
- LinkedIn: Fall into Networking
Stephanie Kinman: Military Development and Engagement Specialist
Please do not hesitate to email me if you wish to unsubscribe