~ Hawley Elementary School Newsletter: September 26, 2021 ~
At the beginning of every year, we hold Open House. It is an opportunity for parents to come to school, see their child's classroom and meet the teacher. It is a night to learn about curriculum and expectations for the year, as well as learn ways for you to support your child.
Last year, unfortunately, we were Virtual as visitors were not permitted into the building. We are so happy that this is NOT the case this year. We value our Partnership and are excited for your attendance in person.
The nights are:
- Wednesday, 9/29, Grades K-2, 6:30-7:15ish PM
- Thursday, 9/30, Grades 3-4, 6:30-7:15ish PM
We do ask the following:
- It is an adult night only, please do not bring children so you and others can be focused on the presentation
- In light of distancing protocols, we encourage only 1 parent per household to attend. If you have questions regarding this request, please feel free to reach out to me.
- Masks MUST be worn in the building at all times.
- It is an informational night, not conferences. If you have something personal that you wish to discuss with the teacher, please ask them for an opportunity to meet at a later time.
- Your leaving the building after the presentation ends is appreciated as it limits exposure to all and allows our custodians to begin cleaning rooms.
These are baby steps, but again, we are just thrilled to have people back in the building again while balancing what is mandated and/or asked of us.
I look forwarded to greeting and seeing you all during these evenings.
~ Be the "I" in KIND ~
Join us in Honoring these students!!
Hawley Centennial (100 Years Strong)
As you may or may not know, this is the Centennial Year for Hawley. Our Main Building opened the 1921-1922 school year.
We are going to be forming a big committee to plan many activities throughout the year. The big committee will break up into smaller committees with specific tasks. We foresee the culmination being some type of Spring Celebration.
We are looking for as much representation on committees as possible: teachers, paras, parents (past & current), PTA, graduates, community members, BoE members, etc.
Thank you to all of you have all ready reached out. Please send me your name if this is something of interest to you. Also, feel free to reach out to anyone you feel might have an interest and they can send me their name.
Our first meeting will most likely be the 1st or 2nd week of October.
Thank you for your consideration and stay tuned.
Ice Cream Social(s)
Come enjoy ice cream served by Hawley Staff and playing with friends.
Grades K-2 is THIS Monday, 9/27
Grades 3-4 is NEXT Monday, 10/4
Both nights are 6:00-7:00 PM
Masks must be worn when in the gym getting ice cream but parent discretion when outside on the blacktop, field and playscape. If you have children in both groups/grades, you can decide which night you would like to attend.
Click HERE to Register & for more information.
- Masks would need to be worn at all times when in the building
- A Volunteer Waiver Form needs to be filled out and on file (Yearly)
The Form is located on our school website under the Parent Resource tab along the top of the page and then Volunteering in Our Schools, or Click HERE for the Form.
If it helps and is more convenient to attend Virtually, here is how to do so:
- Topic: Hawley PTA General Meeting
- Time: Sep 29, 2021 05:30 PM Eastern
- Join Zoom Meeting
- Meeting ID: 881 0044 4085
- Passcode: 180802
Main agenda items include setting the budget and determining fundraising targets. It is also an opportunity for you to find ways you can contribute to the school community, ask questions and share your ideas. We hope to see you there.
Important Reminders / General Info
- The PTA is planning a Trunk or Treat Evening on 10/25. Information will be coming home shortly. Everyone will be welcome but we will be asking for Candy Donations to be handed out at the event. If you wish to contribute, a box will be set up in our lobby- just send in a bag of candy in with your child (and pray it makes it to the box ;0)
- Thank you for your continued support and for all the kind words and messages. They truly keeps us going!
Dates to Remember
- Mon, 9/27: Ice Cream Social, Grades K-2, 6:00-7:00 PM
- Wed, 9/29: General PTA Meeting, 5:30-6:30 PM (new time)
- Wed, 9/29: Open House- Grades K-2, 6:30-7:15 PM
- Thurs, 9/30: Open House- Grades 3-4, 6:30-7:15 PM
- Fri, 10/1: 2-Hr Delayed Opening- Professional Development
- Mon, 10/4: Ice Cream Social, Grades 3-4, 6:00-7:00 PM
Out of the Mouths of Babes...
Mr. M was visiting classrooms. In one class, students were on Chromebooks writing stories. Mr. M began reading the middle of a student's story and noticed that the Lesson Topic was Interesting Beginnings using Dialogue. Wanting to read the beginning, the following transpired...
"Do you mind if I read the beginning of your story? " Mr. M asked as he began scrolling the screen.
"Um, Mr. M " the child mumbled
"No need to worry, I'm just going to read it." Mr. M replied continuing to scroll the screen
"But Mr. M" the student continued
To which Mr. M responded, "I know it is only a first draft, don't be nervous." as he continued to scroll the screen in frustration.
The student then firmly stated, "This is not a touch screen. Would you like me to use the mouse so you can see the beginning? "
"Uh, yes please, thank you "