Raider Nation News
Week of April 13, 2020
Dear Atholton Families,
As we all continue to live under these unique circumstances, I hope you are safe and practicing the necessary precautions to ensure that we remain well and return to a sense of normalcy in the near future. Spring Break comes to an end this week and we begin implementing our Continuity of Learning plan across high schools in Howard County. To those of you who observe Passover, Easter or Ramadan, I wish you peace, love and the closeness of family, no matter the distance created by the current situation.
It was brought to my attention that there is an Instagram page --Atholton2020 for seniors. Please take a look. It is a wonderful tribute to our seniors! We are exploring creating an "official" page.
Below you will find important information regarding our implementation plan. I have also included a Word document to help your student(s) manage their virtual schedule (assignments, google meet links, etc.). I hope this helps! I apologize for the inundation of messages our students (and you!) have received regarding their check-ins. Unfortunately, it is the only way to notify you.
Tomorrow will mark the start of our next phase of the distance learning model with high school students. By 10:00 a.m. Tuesday, teachers will have posted assignments in Canvas. Students should check each of their teacher’s homepages to ensure that they are able to access these activities. During this orientation week, the learning activities and assignments should take one hour or less to complete per class. Students will be able to work independently to complete the tasks throughout the week and will submit work through Canvas by 10:00 a.m. on Friday, April 17, 2020.
Tuesday, April 14
● Log into Canvas to check for assignments for this week.
Orientation Check-Ins (April 15-17)
This week is a student orientation week for using Google Meet. With the holiday, it is a short week, and we will follow a modified schedule. There will be one check-in per class. Teachers will select one of the two designated times below for the Orientation Check-ins:
Wednesday, April 15
● Period 1 Orientation Check-in: 8:00-8:30 a.m. OR 8:30-9:00 a.m.
● Period 2 Orientation Check-in: 9:30-10:00 a.m. OR 10:00-10:30 a.m
Thursday, April 16
● Period 3 Orientation Check-in: 8:00-8:30 a.m. OR 8:30-9:00 a.m.
● Period 4A Orientation Check-in: 9:30-10:00 a.m. OR 10:00-10:30 a.m.
● Period 4B Orientation Check-in: 1:30-2:00 p.m. OR 2:00-2:30 p.m.
Friday, April 17
● Period 5 Orientation Check-in: 8:00-8:30 a.m. OR 8:30-9:00 a.m.
● Period 6 Orientation Check-in: 9:30-10:00 a.m. OR 10:00-10:30 a.m.
Teachers have posted their selected orientation check-in time and Google Meet link in Canvas. Students are expected to access Google Meet during the posted time using the link provided. Students will not be required to use the device camera or microphone for Google Meet virtual meetings.
Check-In Schedule (beginning week of April 20)
Regular class check-ins will follow the schedule below. Each class will have one meeting time. Each teacher will determine which of the two times will be the check-in time for the class period and will communicate the schedule with families and students via Canvas. The time teachers select is intended to remain constant throughout the school closure.
Monday (April 20)
● Period 4A Google Meet Check-In: 1:00-1:45 p.m. OR 2:00-2:45 p.m.
Tuesday (April 21)
● Period 1 Google Meet Check-in: 8:00-8:45 a.m. OR 9:00-9:45 a.m.
● Period 4B Google Meet Check-in: 1:00-1:45 p.m. OR 2:00-2:45 p.m.
Wednesday (April 22)
● Period 2 Google Meet Check-in: 8:00-8:45 a.m. OR 9:00-9:45 a.m.
● Period 5 Google Meet Check-in: 1:00-1:45 p.m. OR 2:00-2:45 p.m.
Thursday (April 23)
● Period 3 Google Meet Check-in: 8:00-8:45 a.m. OR 9:00-9:45 a.m.
● Period 6 Google Meet Check-in: 1:00-1:45 p.m. OR 2:00-2:45 p.m.
Friday (April 24)
● Work submission by 10:00 a.m.
Lastly, I would like to say a big THANK YOU to all the first responders, medical professionals, and essential workers in our community. This thank you extends to the families that support our first responders, medical professionals, and essential workers. The stress that comes from watching your loved one leave the house everyday is unimaginable. Please know that your Raider Nation family is here for you!
Dr. Martirano has formed a Class of 2020 advisory committee composed of a senior from every high school. They are discussing how to best provide a meaningful end of the year for the Class of 2020. The Waterfront Marriott canceled our contract for Prom on May 2 but we were able to rebook it for Saturday, June 6.
The Atholton staff is excited to reconnect with students and families. Please do not hesitate to email me with any questions.
I wish you all a fantastic week and I look forward to virtually visiting classes this week to see students!
Robert A. Motley
AP Exam Important Information
College Board has provided some additional information about the upcoming Advanced Placement (AP) spring exams. Below are a few critical points for parents and students:
● Exam Format
○ Each AP exam will generally be a 45-minute, open book/open note, online assessment that will cover the first 75% of the course. Students will be able to access the exam using a variety of devices. The schedule and specifics on each exam are on the College Board’s COVID website. More details about accessing the assessments will be released later in the month.
○ Students do not need to officially cancel exams. Students can decide the day of the exam not to sit for the exam. Before deciding not to sit, we recommend that students work with their teachers and the optional College Board online resources to determine their preparedness.
○ Any student who does not take the exam will be provided a full refund by HCPSS. In late June, College Board will confirm who has taken exams and at that point our school will begin processing refunds for any student who did not participate.
Additional information will be shared as we approach the May testing window. Please check the College Board’s COVID-19 update page for the latest information.
Mark Your Calendar
Distance Learning Schedule
- Tuesday, 4/14 -- Log on to check for assignments
- Wednesday - Friday, 4/15 - 4/17 -- Period by Period Check Ins (see schedule)
- Friday, 4/17 -- First assignments DUE by 10:00 a.m.