GPMS School Counseling Department
Signs Of Suicide Prevention Program (SOS)
Our goals in participating in this program were straightforward:
- to help our students understand that depression is a treatable illness
- to explain that suicide is a preventable tragedy that often occurs as a result of untreated depression
- to provide students training in how to identify serious depression and potential suicidality in themselves or a friend
- to impress upon youth that they can help themselves or a friend by taking the simple step of talking to a responsible adult about their concerns
- to help students know whom in the school they can turn to for help, if they need it.
Below is a link to the SOS Parent Portal. This portal will allow you as a parent to review the materials and topics we will cover in our screening and will also connect you with resources and educational materials related to adolescent mental health issues.
Parent Login Information
This month the School Counseling Department will work with our 6th graders on the following topics:
- Identifying the difference between sadness and depression
- Learning that suicide is a preventable tragedy that often occurs as a result of untreated depression
- Learn positive coping strategies
The Counseling staff will also spend time doing a reminder lesson on the SOS (Signs Of Suicide) as well as how to use ACT (Acknowledge, Care and Tell) with our 7th and 8th graders at the Park.
If you do Not want your child to participate in the SOS Program in school, please contact Mrs. Xantus, Director of School Counseling, via email firstname.lastname@example.org. If we do not hear from you, we will assume your child has permission to participate in this program.