The Pine Bough
Pine River School Newsletter, January 2022
Happy New Year!
Happy New Year! It is exciting to welcome all of the students back to learning on January 3rd!
As we begin 2022 and near the halfway point of the school year, I thought it might be helpful to share my thoughts on how we can continue to forge a positive relationship, focused on the success of your student. In that spirit, I offer the following statements:
Count on me...
- To exhibit a caring attitude and positive regard for all of our students.
- To visibly demonstrate my belief that every student can learn and grow.
- To maintain high expectations for academics, behavior, and citizenship.
- To listen carefully and investigate any concerns fully.
- To ensure that discipline is a teaching and learning experience.
- To return your phone call or email within 12 hours.
- To be available for any appointment scheduled through Mrs. Williamson.
- To constantly research and develop strategies to improve educational practices and remove barriers to opportunities for our students.
I'll Count on you...
- To realize my focus as the building leader is to make decisions that are in the best interest of all my students.
- To support my daily priority of observing and supporting teaching and learning in classrooms, understanding that means I may not be immediately available in the office when you stop in.
- To be an integral member of our team in supporting our students and collaborating with our staff.
- To understand I will be unable to disclose information about other students to you.
- To contact the adult closest to your concern first--a teacher or bus driver before coming immediately to the administrator.
- To continue to support and give our staff grace during these challenging times as we all work together to navigate through unprecedented situations.
In highly effective teams, members have expectations and roles that are clear for them and readily understood. This helps the team function at the highest level. As you and I work as a team to support your student's experience for the rest of this school year, I invite your questions or comments about the above guiding principles.
I look forward to continuing a successful year together!
Current Mask Mandate Guidelines
Specifically, beginning Monday, January 3, 2022:
● All K-12 students, District staff, and visitors to school facilities are required to “properly and consistently” wear a facial covering throughout the school day (other than while eating and actively participating in band/choir classes) and on school buses. Disposable face masks will be provided and must be worn by those students who do not wear a mask to school.
● Those individuals who cannot medically tolerate a mask may be able to receive a mask exemption from their medical provider. All such exemptions should be forwarded to Dawn Demick, Assistant Superintendent, at email@example.com. When possible a face shield should be worn if a facial covering cannot be tolerated. If your child has a mask exemption on file from last year, you do not need to submit a new form and are all set.
● While preschool aged students are not required to wear a face mask, they are welcome to do so.
● Per the Health Order, although highly encouraged, masks are not required during extracurricular activities held after regular school hours including athletic events and fine arts performances where attendance is voluntary.
Parents interested in enrolling their students in the East China Virtual Academy (ECVA) should contact the ECVA at (810) 676-1300 for further information. Please note enrollment in ECVA is limited to a semester long commitment beginning January 24, 2022 through the end of the school year
THE MOBILE DENTIST IS COMING!!
The Mobile Dentist is coming to Pine River! Our orignal scheduled date was Friday, December 10, 2021, but due to our mental health day we have rescheduled to Thursday, January 6, 2022. This in-school dentist is a state licensed dentist that will regularly check your child's mouth & teeth, as well as provide a cleaning, x-rays as necessary, fluoride treatment and apply sealants, as needed. Additional care, such as fillings, may also be provided. A dental report card will be sent home with your child. By completing this link below, or completing and returning the flyer sent home with your student, the dentist will be able to see your child for their initial visit as well as all follow-up visits. All forms are ow due by December 13, 2021. Please call the office if you have questions
PTO Reverse Raffle
Hello Pioneer Families,
Our PTO is hosting a Reverse Raffle Fundraiser on January 21st and would love for you to attend. This is a new style of fundraiser for us geared towards the adults and we guarantee you will have a good time.
- Dress up and enjoy the evening if you want, but it’s not required.
- Not inclusive to only parents of Pine River - feel free to invite your family, friends, neighbors. etc.
- Alexander’s will be providing a fantastic buffet dinner & dessert along with an open bar.
A Reverse Raffle is a raffle where you DON’T want your number to be called. Each attendee will be assigned a number (1-200) at check-in and numbers will be drawn throughout the evening. There will be smaller prizes for the first number out, 50th number out, 100th number out and so on. The prize amounts become substantially larger when we get to the final five remaining numbers, with the last one taking home $2500. There will also be a Silent Auction, Side Raffle Games and a 50/50.
Ticket order forms were sent home with students. We anticipate this event to sell out so don’t hesitate to place your order. Our goal is to make this an annual FUNdraising event to help provide the best equipment and opportunities for our students and school.
Pine River Elementary PTO
Thank you to Jen and Joe Real Estate One for sponsoring our Golden Dustpan Award!
December Golden Dustpan Award Winner
Mr. Scillian's fourth grade class won The Golden Dustpan Award for December! Each month, our custodians choose the class that keeps their room the cleanest. The winning class receives a pizza party, class and individual certificates, and the honor of displaying the Golden Dustpan on their hallway cubbie.
Positivity Project Resources for Families
The mission of The Positivity Project is to empower students to build positive relationships with others and be their best selves as individuals. Each week at Pine River, we focus on one of the 24 character strengths that everyone possesses. Through lessons presented daily by their teachers, our students learn to be more self aware and self confident in the content of their own character. In addition, they learn to understand and appreciate these character traits in others. Together, we are building meaningful relationships and connections with one another that are essential for learning and growing.
Below are some resources to help our families support The Positivity Project at home.
Pioneers of the Month
All of our students strive to be motivated learners, as well as model citizens. Each month we will honor students from each class who exemplify the following qualities:
- Student prepares for classroom activities.
- Student approaches learning with enthusiasm.
- Student has made steady progress in the classroom.
- Student has been working to his/her potential.
- Student completes all assignments and homework.
- Student has a good work ethic and is diligent.
Leadership/ Citizenship/ Character
- Student demonstrates respect of self and others.
- Student assists others in need.
- Student shows acts of kindness.
- Student demonstrates a positive attitude.
- Student displays good conduct.
- Student is a positive role model by example.
- Student participates and puts forth full effort in all areas.
- Student follows school rules.
Mrs. Guzowski's Class: Maylani Wojcik
Ms. Brosky's Class: Barrett Deraedt and Mila Emerich
Mrs. Malburg's Class: Kennedy Prisby and Jerron Maurer
Mrs. Schneider's Class: Charles Smith and Elliot Middel
Mrs. Bean's Class: Sonny Malburg and Sophia Groce
Mrs. Jensen's Class: Kaycee Stanko and Calvin Blake
Mrs. Trudeau's Class: Phoenix Watson and Hayden McIntyre-Keller
Mrs. Dingman's Class: Emilia Gander and Graham Fryer
Mrs. Kenyon's Class: Skylar Coomer and Brayden Schroeder
Mrs. McNeill's Class: Brynn Schweihofer and Roland Potthoff
Ms. Dewey's Class: Kaia Schindler and Maxwell Chamberlin
Mrs. Dodge's/Mr. Spencer's Class: Bradley Shaw and Holly Shubnell
Mrs. Wahl's Class: Aaliyah Grosso and Emma Vernier
Mrs. Huston's Class: Ally Roberts and Caleb Gilroy
Mr. Scillian's Class: Liam Brozik and Clara Schneider
Mrs. Ursitti's Class: Jack Galliker and Ella Gardner
Mrs. Cieslak's Class: Logan Davis
Mission: The mission of the Pine River school community is to work collaboratively, providing an enriched curriculum that allows for intellectual, social, emotional, physical, and creative growth in a positive and safe environment, empowering all children to become productive lifelong learners.
Pine River Elementary is dedicated to the belief that all students can learn and achieve through the combined efforts of the staff, parents, students, and community.