Mrs. Trout's weekly news
We are working hard this holiday season, just like busy elves!
The students truly enjoyed listening to a variety of stories about the various Gingerbread characters! We even made our own characters up and performed a puppet show! Please read below to find out what else we did and look below for important reminders:
Language Arts: We completed a unit study comparing and contrasting the gingerbread man, boy, girl and baby stories. Students completed numerous creative writing assignments about the characters, setting and plot of the stories. Students helped chart the similarities and differences within each story. Students completed a listening glyph for designing a gingerbread person based on the given directions. Students also created and read a Gingerbread man story. We concluded our unit by making a play about the Gingerbread man. Students also enjoyed taste testing yummy delicious Gingerbread cookies!!!
Letters of the week: Students reviewed the letters of the alphabet and focused on the beginning and ending sounds of words. Students completed a variety of phonemic activities using these letters. Students tried to write words that begin/ end with these letters and challenge themselves to write these words in sentences.
Math: Students continued to learn how to join numbers together to form and make larger numbers. Students will use two tone counters to represent numbers and show how to join them together. We will focus on numbers 4-9. Students will use math manipulatives to help them complete numerous critical thinking activities.
Social Studies: We learned all about the different holidays celebrated during this time of year. The students wrote about various traditions of each holiday. The students made special secret holiday gifts for their families.
Pictures of the week:
Important reminders and upcoming events:
- Books are due Monday!! Don't forget!
- Students will need to come to school dressed on Tuesday in their holiday concert attire ( shorts, t shirts, Hawaiian gear) . Please bring a change of dress down clothes to change into.
- Tuesday night is our HOLIDAY CONCERT!!!! All students will need to be here by 6:10 dressed in their concert attire!
- Wednesday is our Cookie decorating party. All are welcome to attend and help with the fun! The fun begins at 10:00. Don't forget to wear your favorite holiday pajamas!!!
- There will be no aftercare on Wednesday!!!