Senior Newsletter Class of 2023
All graduation and end-of-the-year information
The big day is coming soon! Here's what you need to know...
WHAT'S IN THE NEWSLETTER?
Congratulations, Class of 2023! In this newsletter, you will find helpful information that will make your senior year go as smoothly as possible. We have included important dates, websites, and other information that will help you plan for upcoming expenses, deadlines, and so much more! In addition to important information, here are some people and sources that may be useful to check and/or contact, should you need additional information, or have any questions:
DAVID JONES, AP IN CHARGE OF ACTIVITIES: DAVID.JONES@SIMIVALLEYUSD.ORG
JEN HORN, LEADERSHIP ADVISOR: JENNIFER.HORN@SIMIVALLEYUSD.ORG
SANDRA FITZGERALD, ASB SECRETARY: SANDRA.FITZGERALD@SIMIVALLEYUSD.ORG
JOSTENS.COM (GRADUATION ITEM ORDERING)
THE PIONEER-GRAM (EMAIL) & SVHS.SIMIVALLEYUSD.ORG (WEBSITE)
FOLLOW simivalleyhs ON INSTAGRAM
CHECK YOUR SCHOOL EMAIL!!!!!!!!!
COUNSELING & WELLNESS
Feeling stressed about your final semester of High School? Not sure what to do after you graduate? Worried about college admissions decisions? Wondering about Financial Aid and Scholarship opportunities? Want to join the field trip to Moorpark College? Have questions about your Grad Status letter? Go see your School Counselor!! We're here for you!!
There are many opportunities to get involved throughout your senior year here
at SVHS. We encourage you to make your best effort to attend as many events
as you can. The community of SVHS is very important to us, and we want to make
your final chapter as a Pioneer as memorable as possible. Please keep track
of ticket sale dates, discounts, and event dates. We suggest you follow
@svhs.2023 on instagram for helpful reminders and updates!
LET'S BE IN THIS TOGETHER!
This is a very special time for both senior students and their families. We ask that students and parents partner with us to make this year as stress-free and enjoyable as possible.
Enclosed, you will find a list of important dates, in addition to some important notes about rules, requirements, consequences, special services, and many other details.
Please be sure to read through this newsletter so that all parties are well-informed as we enter this special season in the students' career. It is our hope that we can work together in communication and planning so that this can be an experience for all to enjoy!
Help US help YOU!
Important Dates for Seniors
Feb. 14: Senior Hug Day
Mar. 3: Senior Meetings in your Gov/Econ classes
Mar. 13 - 24: Grad Nite tickets on sale - IN ASB ONLY! WHILE CAPACITY LASTS!
Mar.17: Honor Guard appreciation letters due to Mrs. Horn (if you participated)
Mar. 19: Deadline to order Cap & Gown - see links below
April 3 - 21: Prom tickets on sale online (pricing below)
May 1 - June 1 (or as capacity allows): Extra graduation tickets on sale in ASB (see details below)
May 3: "I Committed" Day - wear your college gear and come to the main quad to celebrate all the amazing places the Class of 2023 is headed!
May 6: Prom (The Majestic Downtown)
May 16, 17, 18: Graduation Speech Auditions (during FLEX)
May 24: Senior Awards Night (by invitation)
May 24 & 25: Senior Finals
May 25: Grad Nite @ Disneyland, California Adventure
May 30: Grad Shop, 10 AM
May 31: Graduation Rehearsal (MANDATORY), 10 AM/Senior BBQ immediately following
June 1: Graduation, 6 PM (students arrive @ 4:30)
June 2: Diploma pick up in counseling beginning @ 8 AM???
Senior Hug Day - Feb. 14
Honor Guard Form Deadline - Feb. 3
If you would like to participate in this special graduation tradition, complete the information below by Friday, February 3rd. Once you fill out the form LINKED HERE, WE will take care of contacting your nominee and getting them all the necessary information. After nominations are complete, we will be contacting you the next few months to write a brief reflection about your teacher and their influence on your life. Thank you for making a difference!
NOMINATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED. IF YOU RECEIVED AN EMAIL FROM MRS. HORN, YOUR NOMINATION IS CONFIRMED. PLEASE WRITE YOUR LETTER OF APPRECIATION AND GET IT TO MRS. HORN BY MARCH 17.
CAP & GOWN INFORMATION
DEADLINE FOR ORDERS IS MARCH 19TH!!
If you have questions about an order, order status, would like to check what you ordered, etc., please contact our Jostens representative, John Zavala, at email@example.com.
Direct link for Pioneer Package on Jostens: https://www.jostens.com/apps/store/productDetail/1007572/SIMI-VALLEY-HIGH-SCHOOL/Cap-and-Gown/1911166021/CATALOG_REPOSITORY/Cap-Gown-Tassel-and-SVHS-Stole-(Unit)/1911166049
If you ONLY need the Class of 2023 tassel & stole (you already have or are borrowing the correct maroon cap and gown)*:
*You need to buy the souvenir tassel (it will arrive in maroon and gold) and the SVHS stole (it will arrive customized).
If, for some reason, you cannot order a cap and gown, please email Mr. Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit him in the ASB office, for assistance.
Senior Meetings - MARCH 3
A school administrator will visit you during your government or economics class. If you do not have a government or economics class, please arrange a time between periods 1 and 5 that you can get the information (peer tutor, elective, free period - must be pre arranged with your teacher).
DO NOT FORGET TO SUBMIT YOUR SENIOR CONTRACT TO YOUR GOV/ECON TEACHER. NO EVENT CAN BE ATTENDED OR TICKET CAN BE PURCHASED IF YOU HAVE NOT YET SUBMITTED A SIGNED COPY! (You can obtain a copy from your gov/econ teacher and submit it back to them, or directly to Mr. Cox in the front office.)
GRAD NITE TICKETS - ON SALE MARCH 13 - 24, OR UNTIL SOLD OUT!
IF YOU ARE ON THE WAITING LIST - PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL! We are constantly sending you messages regarding your spot on the waiting list. If you don't check your email, you may miss your chance at a ticket!
THE ASB OFFICE ACCEPTS CASH AND CARD. NO CHECKS ACCEPTED!
SENIOR HOLD LIST - POSTED SOON!
- A D or F in a required class for graduation (need to have your teacher email Beth Hankins in the counseling office to confirm, in writing, that you will pass their class).
- An outstanding credit needed (need to contact your counselor to be sure all summer school or online class transcripts have been submitted and cleared).
- An outstanding fee due to the ASB office (pay all outstanding balances to the ASB office).
- An outstanding fee due to the library or textbook not yet turned in (turn in the book, pay the fine, fill out a waiver-see a librarian).
- You have not yet filled out the senior exit survey (this is through Naviance, you will get notified when it is open for you to complete).
*PLEASE NOTE: Failing to turn in your senior contract will prevent you from being able to attend senior activities. Your grades will only prevent you from graduation and/or the ceremony.
The sooner you can take care of these items, the sooner we can ensure your participation in the graduation ceremony and/or the receipt of your high school diplomas.
Prom Tickets On Sale - April 3 - 21
EACH SVHS STUDENT IS ALLOWED 1 (ONE) GUEST PER PERSON.
****NEW****: OUR ADMINISTRATION IS NOW REQUIRING PAPER CONTRACTS!!! The contract will be available in ASB beginning April 3. Please pick one up for you AND YOUR GUEST, sign it, and return it to the ASB office. You can purchase your ticket any time online, but if we do not have a signed contract by April 21, we will void your ticket(s).
ALL COVID POLICIES FOR THIS EVENT HAVE BEEN LIFTED! LA county has changed to recommending masks, but that is the only guidance for this event.
"I COMMITTED" Day - May 3
Senior Prom - May 6, 7:00 - 11:00 PM
You will enjoy a first-class 1920's style event event with dancing and dining, private venue service, incredible decorations, and much more. This is the comeback of all proms! Don't miss out!
Entree - Chicken Picatta
Pasta - Alfredo Penne
Salad - Traditional Caesar
2 Sides - Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Grilled Vegetables
ALL COVID POLICIES FOR THIS EVENT HAVE BEEN LIFTED! LA county has changed to recommending masks, but that is the only guidance for this event.
Graduation Speech Auditions - May 16, 17, and 18 - DURING FLEX
PLEASE COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW BY APRIL 28!
Senior Awards Night - May 24, 6:00 PM????
Senior Finals - May 24 & 25
Grad Nite - May 25, MEET IN THE GYM AT 6 PM
OTHER IMPORTANT GRAD NITE DETAILS:
Grad Nite is a traditional Senior Activity during which students from many high schools have Disney, California Adventure “to themselves” for the night. This is a very popular activity and this year there will be 300 tickets available. These tickets are sold on a first-come, first-served basis. No tickets can be purchased when these have been sold out, no matter the circumstances. Remember, as with all senior events, Grad Nite is not a right, it’s a privilege! Grad Nite will be at Disney, California Adventure on May 25th, the Thursday night prior to graduation. We will leave Simi High at approximately 7:00 pm from the WEST parking lot. We will meet in the GYM at 6:00 pm. Graduates will leave the park by 2:00 am, the following morning. We should be back to SVHS by about 3:00 am. Cars may be parked in the WEST SVHS parking lot overnight. Please note that Disney, California Adventure has rules by which we must abide. These will be explained at the Senior Meetings. Briefly:
1. All students attending Grad Nite MUST ride the same bus provided TO and FROM Disneyland. NO private vehicles are allowed to enter the Disneyland parking lot on Grad Nite. Unfortunately, Disneyland does not honor season passes for this event. You must purchase a ticket, even if you are a season pass holder.
2. Disneyland imposes a dress code. SVHS is required by contract to ensure that the dress code is adhered to prior to allowing students on the buses. The dress code and other rules are LINKED HERE.
3. Any students who do not report to their bus on time could be forfeiting their privilege of participating in Grad Nite and at the following week’s graduation ceremonies.
NOTE: We have a limited number of tickets this year (as always), so please BUY EARLY! Cost per person will be given out at senior meetings. This includes park entrance, dancing, and bus transportation to and from Disneyland.
Senior Grad Shop - May 30, 10:00 AM
OTHER IMPORTANT PRE-GRADUATION INFORMATION:
GRADUATION TICKETS: Each student is guaranteed SIX (6) tickets for free. If you need more tickets, you can purchase them in ASB for $10 each starting May 1. We will sell tickets as capacity allows. We suggest that you ask other seniors if they are using all of their 6 tickets before purchasing extra, just to ensure we are maximizing our attendance. Tickets will be picked up at Grad Shop. No lost tickets will be replaced, and each person needing a seat at the ceremony will need a ticket to enter.
THE ASB OFFICE ACCEPTS CASH OR CARD. NO CHECKS ACCEPTED.
LINE ASSIGNMENTS: Students can choose who they would like to walk in and be seated with for the ceremony. They will need to select the EAST or WEST side, stand in line with their friends, and then request their seat in groups of TWO (2) at a time. We will do our best to accommodate all requests.
HONOR MEDALLION GRADS: Students with a 4.0+ cumulative weighted GPA are honored in our graduation ceremony and program. They MUST be seated in the first 2 rows of either the east or west side so that they can easily access the stage for their honor. Honor grads will pick up an honor medallion at Grad Shop to be worn on the day of graduation. Click this LINK to see the honor grads of the Class of 2023.
CAP DECORATION, ETC. : Seniors MAY NOT alter/decorate caps & gowns. No one is permitted to decorate their caps for graduation. Only stoles, cords, and other items issued by the school can be worn during the ceremony.
Graduation Rehearsal - May 31, 10:00 AM
Immediately after the rehearsal, you will be treated to a FREE LUNCH in the senior BBQ by the snack bar/grass area by the stadium. We will have Chick-Fil-A, chips, drinks, and soft serve ic cream. You are welcome to stay and hang out for one last meal together as Pioneers!
Graduation - June 1, 6:00 PM (Stadium)
ATTIRE SUGGESTIONS: We suggest dressing similar to a banquet or their 8th grade promotion. Girls shouldn't wear spike heels. We do not recommend jeans or flip flops. Since students have a cap and gown on, there is usually not a very strict dress code enforced, in terms of just how "dressed up" students are. Boys usually wear nice pants and a nice shirt (polo or button up), and girls usually wear a nicer summer-type dress with wedges, flats, or a chunkier heel.
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR GRADUATION:
- Spectators must have a ticket to enter. Children under 3 do not need a ticket, as they can sit on the lap of a family member.
- Gates will open at 5:00 pm. Seating is first-come, first-served.
- A large LED screen will be placed above the stage with a live video feed for even better viewing of the ceremony.
- Spectators cannot bring coolers, large balloons, air-horns, or other items that could prevent others from enjoying the ceremony. These items will be confiscated at the entrance. Please refer to our stadium guidelines for a more detailed list of prohibited items: https://svhs-simi-ca.schoolloop.com/facility-rules
- Open parking lots will be from the east & west lots only. No entrance from the back of the school will be permitted.
- Snacks, cold waters, and other items will be available for sale.
- If a member of your family should need handicapped seating/parking, please FILL OUT THE FORM IN THE LINK HERE, including your name and the number of people attending in your party. These handicapped reservations must be received by May 13th, there will be no exceptions made for any reservations made after this date. Handicapped parking is first come, first served in the east and west lots. You must have a valid handicapped placard to be eligible for this accommodation.
- Each student will be given 6 tickets free of charge. Tickets will be picked up at Grad Shop. Additional tickets will be available for $10 each. These tickets will be on sale beginning May 1st through June 1st (during designated hours in ASB). ALL SPECTATORS will need a ticket unless they can sit on a lap for the entire ceremony. We suggest ages 3 and up need a ticket. All tickets sold before Senior GRAD SHOP day will be put in each student's envelope for pick up at the GRAD SHOP. The availability of these additional tickets cannot be assured.
This year's graduation will NOT be live-streamed. We will be creating a video of the ceremony and posting it to our youtube page after school gets out for you to enjoy for years to come.