Corrupt Law Enforcement
Has our law enforcement system become corrupt?
Law Enforcers Tear Down a Poppy Field
Causes of police corruption
- Police lose integrity or honesty
- stories of police doing something wrong become prominent and draw a lot of attention
- they are given the power to stop, arrest and detain ordinary people and these powers can get out of hand
- some starts with relationships and relations to "bad" people
Effects of police corruption
- sometimes this results in criminals thinking they have a lesser chance of getting caught
- many times people question the police in their area
- makes people think that all police are bad
- can limit the amount of things people will do that the police say to do
- can differ other police's viewing of any law
- changes the public viewing of police
Police in Los Angeles
Police training in South Africa
Board, The Editorial. "The Chicago Police Scandal ." New York Times 2 Dec. 2015: A30(L). Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 8 Dec. 2015.
"Change Your Ways, Corrupt Officers Told." Africa News Service 26 Oct. 2010. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 8 Dec. 2015.
"Common Menu Bar Links." Corruption in Policing: Causes and Consequences. Royal Canadian Mounted Police, 10 Aug. 2010. Web. 15 Dec. 2015.
Golden, Tim. "Elite Mexican Drug Officers Said to Be Tied to Traffickers." New York Times 16 Sept. 1998. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 9 Dec. 2015.
Martin, Rich. "Police Corruption: An Analytical Look into Police Ethics." FBI. The FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation, May 2011. Web. 10 Dec. 2015.
MLAAPAHarvardChicago Manual of Style South Africa, Kwazulu Natal, 14 April, 1994: Kwazulu Police Training College in Ulundi. Relevant Due to Expected Confrontation between Chief Magosuthu Buthelezi's Men - IFP - Inkatha Freedom Party and ANC - African National Congress or Transitional Execut. Photo. Encyclopædia Britannica ImageQuest. Web. 11 Dec 2015.
Law Enforcers Destroying Poppy Plantation, at Shibganj Upazila, in Chapainawabganj, in a Drive to Prevent Illegal Cultivation of the Plant. Photography. Encyclopædia Britannica ImageQuest. Web. 11 Dec 2015.
Syed, Talha. "Not Victimless: Understanding the Harmful Effects of Police Corruption." CSVR the Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation. CSVR the Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation, 1997. Web. 15 Dec. 2015.
Weil, Jack. "The Death Penalty Does Not Deter Crime." The Death Penalty. Ed. Jenny Cromie and Lynn M. Zott. Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2013. Opposing Viewpoints. Rpt. from "The Death Penalty Isn't the Answer to Crime Woes." Star 4 Nov. 2010. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 8 Dec. 2015.
"What Happened in Ferguson?" The New York Times. The New York Times, 12 Aug. 2014. Web. 15 Dec. 2015.