By Annelise Hardman
Born: 13th September 1916 in Llandaff, Wales In the United Kingdom
Occupation: Novelist,poet and a screenwriter
Started writing books: 1942 aged 26
Genre of books he used to write: Children's,adults' literature.horror,mystery, fantasy and humour
Spouse: Patricia Neal from 1953-1983 then they had 5 kids and then got divorced then he remarried to Felicity Ann d'Abreu had no kids they married in 1983-1990.
Death: 23 November 1990 in Oxford, England in the United kingdom.
Cause of death: Myelodysplastic Syndrome which is the name of a group of conditions that occur when the blood-forming cells in the bone marrow and are damaged.
List of Books by this Author
- 1943 The Gremlins.
- 1946 Over to You.
- 1961 James and the Giant Peach.
- 1964 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
- 1966 The Magic Finger.
- 1968 Selected Stories of Roald Dahl.
- 1969 Twenty Nine Kisses.
- 1970 Fantastic Mr. Fox.
- 1972 Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.
- 1974 Switch B***h.
- 1975 Danny the Champion of the World.
- 1977 The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More.
- 1978 The Enormous Crocodile and The Best of Roald Dahl.
- 1979 My Uncle Oswald, Tales of the Unexpected, and Taste and Other Tales.
- 1980 The Twits, More Tales of the Unexpected, and A Roald Dahl Selection: Nine Short Stories.
- 1981 George's Marvelous Medicine and Further Tales of the Unexpected.
- 1982 The BFG and Revolting Rhymes.
- 1983 The Witches, Dirty Beasts, and Roald Dahl's Book of Ghost Stories.
- 1984 Boy – Tales of Childhood.
- 1985 The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me.
- 1986 Going Solo, Completely Unexpected Tales, Two Fables, and The Roald Dahl Omnibus.
- 1987 A Second Roald Dahl Selection: Eight Short Stories.
- 1988 Matilda and Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life.
Most Popular Books
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- James and the Giant Peach
- The B.F.G.
- Danny, the Champion of the World
- Fantastic Mr Fox
- The Twits
- Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator
- Going Solo
- Esio Trot
Why should people be interested in this campaign? What is so great about the author and their novels?
I definitely recommend people read as many books as you can by Roald Dahl. Roald’s books take you on an adventure that no other author can because he makes up worlds and his books are very entertaining and quit humorous. I especially like the way that Roald that’s makes his books so good and he makes so you can’t stop and you have to keep going. Roald Dahl’s made his books in a series but you don’t have to read them in any order who can whichever one you want to and it won’t ruin any other books. Give Roald Dahl’s books 8½ /10 I recommend read these books if you like reading funny and humorous and also if you like going on adventures. For ages 7-16.
Interesting facts about Roald Dahl
- Roald's parents were Norwegian
- He did not start to write children's books till he had his own children
- He wrote all of his children's stories in a small hut at the bottom of his garden
- He was a hurricane fighter pilot in WWII
- He had 2 steel hips
- He had 6 Operations on his spine
- He wrote the screenplays for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
- He also wrote the screen play one of the bond movies you only live twice
- He originally wrote stories short stories for adults
- He loved to eat chocolate but not chocolate cake or chocolate ice-cream
- He also wrote his drafts with pencil on yellow paper
- Is buried in the church yard of St. Peter and St. Paul's church
- Roald Went to a school which was next door to a chocolate factory
- He could speak 3 languages in total (English,Norwegian and Swahili
- The grandmother in his book the witches is based on his mum
- If he wasn't an author he would have been a doctor
- His favourite food was caviar
- Roald Dahl was buried with pencils
Have Roald Dahl won any awards
- The edgar award-(is a writers award)
- The American Mystery Writers award 3 times
What does Roald Dahl like to do when he isn't writing?
Roald Dahl's Accomplishments
- He his very famous
- He is known all around the world for his books
- he has 20+ plus novels and short stories.
- A lot of his books have become movies
- One of his books Tales of the Unexpected became a TV Show
- Some of his books are the most loved children's book in 20th century
- He is one of the flim favourites by kids of all different ages.
Problems that Roald Dahl may have faced in his life
- Getting Divorced from his wife when they had been married for 30 years
- His father and older sister died when he was only 3
What genre does Roald Dahl's book fall under?
- Adult Literature
What are some of the themes in books by Roald Dahl?
What did I like about the novel?
If you could change any scene in the novel, which one would you change? How would you change it?
What were the medium/s you used to promote your author and their books?
How effectively do you think you were able to use them to promote your author and their books?
Did you find some mediums easier to communicate through than others?
Which medium was your favorite to use? Why?
Synopsis of 2 books- Synopsis 1 Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
10 years ago a guy named Willy Wonka first opened his Chocolate factory and they were doing tours and everybody in the town loved, then it shut for a while and it was dusty and it was a spiders home. Then a little boy named Charlie was sitting with all of his family watching TV when an ad popped up that caught their attention it was to get golden tickets to win a chance to do tours so Charlie and his family spent every last cent on buying chocolate bars to win a chance to get to tours the extraordinary once in a life time opportunity. Finally they got one and had a blast of a time they learnt so much and met some interesting people a long the way and they got to learn about some ‘people’ who were there they were called omperloompers who dance and sing for the visitors entertainment, they also travelled down a chocolate river. With people getting lost, eating things they weren’t suppose to, or even turning into a blueberry this book has it all, this book is funny, crazy and Roald Dahl has definitely used his imagination really well. I recommend this book.
Synopsis 2 Matilda
Matilda is a little girl who lives at home with her mum, dad and her older brother. Her parents are quite mean to Matilda, her dad fixing cars business and her mother likes to down to the local club and play bingo for hours and her brother is usually hanging with his friends so Matilda is usually home by herself.
So she decided to take herself up to the local library and sit there and read, she went up there everyday after school and read until she had nothing left to read because she had read everything in the library. One day both parents were home and so was her brother and matildas was really mad at her parents so she decided to play pranks on them, and they got even angrier at her so they decided to send her to school early. At school she met some nice friends and a really nice teacher who she becomes quite close with, all is fine except when she met her mean principal named miss Trunchball and that is when Matilda’s life gets much worse. This book is surely to make you say oooh and ahhh I definitely recommend this book.
"4C @ RPPS." 4C RPPS RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2013.
"A Biography of Roald Dahl: Common Themes in His Writings And How They Are Reflective of Childhood Experiences." WriteWork. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2013.
"I Have a Crush on Roald Dahl." I Have a Crush on Roald Dahl. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2013.
"Matilda." Booktopia. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2013.
"Meet Roald Dahl -Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." Meet Roald Dahl -Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2013.
"Roald Dahl - The Official Web Site." Roald Dahl - The Official Web Site. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2013.
"Roald Dahl: 5 Things You Didn't Know." AskMen. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2013.
"Roald Dahl Children's Gallery ." Roald Dahl Children's Gallery. Buckinghamshire County Council, n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2013.
"Roald Dahl Fans." RoaldDahlFans.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2013.
"Roald Dahl." Penguin.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2013.
"Roald Dahl." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 04 Nov. 2012. Web. 12 Apr. 2013.
Sreedhar, Shria. "Thorndonschoolroomfive." Thorndonschoolroomfive. Wordpress.com, n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2013.
"What Are Roald Dahls Best Achievements as a Writer 10 Pts for a Quick and Legit Answer?" Yahoo Answers. N.p., 12 Apr. 2011. Web. 12 Apr. 2013.
"What Are Roald Dahl's Most Famous Books?" WikiAnswers. Answers, n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2013.
"What Are Some Interesting Facts on Roald Dahl?" WikiAnswers. Answers, n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2013.
"What Awards Has Roald Dahl Won?" WikiAnswers. Answers, n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2013.