5 Non Traditional Career Myths
By: Dean Benfield
Women in clerical jobs make more than trade workers
- There is money to be made in both.
- Being happy in you job will increase your chances of making more money
Men are not nurturing enough to work with small children
- This myth is leftover from days when women stayed home to raise children and men went to work.
- Nurturing is more of a matter of personality, not gender.
Women are not strong enough for trade or construction
- Veteran women construction workers say the job is hard, not so much physical.
- Lack of strength is NOT a factor in job performance.
Men who work in nontraditional careers are not masculine
- Women who work in nontraditional careers are not feminine.
- Pursue careers based on interests, skills, and satisfaction.
Females do not have strong aptitude for math and science
- Men still outnumber women in STEM careers.
- Women still face challenges in this area.