WASC Mid-Cycle Visit Feedback
- Students on Academic Rise High School has a very clear and shared focus on their vision and goals for their students to be immersed in the high school experience while acquiring college credits. The focus and vision are developed from common beliefs and high values, creating a consistent direction for all involved.
- SOAR has high standards and expectations for all students.
- Students are offered an ambitious and rigorous course of study.
- There is effective administrative leadership that can implement change successfully.
- Students were proud of their academic accomplishments as well as the school culture conducive to learning and personal growth.
- There is strong teamwork among all staff across all grades and subject areas. Everybody is involved and connected to each other, including parents, to work on a
highly effective educational program for students.
- Students feel respected and connected with the staff and are engaged in learning.
- The staff understands what the assessments measure. Going forward there will be more data analysis including how student work is evaluated.
As for growth, the visiting committee suggested that SOAR stay the course with the following recommendations for school growth:
- Systematically implement formative assessments through work within professional learning communities
- Continue to analyze and use data and student work to meet school growth goals
Again, thank you to our WASC Coordinator (Ms. Nelsen), the CSI Committee, and everyone else who contributed and supported all of our efforts with our accreditation process. We could not continue to SOAR without this amazing community!
AVC Registration/4th Quarter Reminders
As a reminder, 4th quarter is the time students should have a heighten sense of awareness to engaging in classes and coursework. STARs -- Lean In! You've got this...we're almost there!
Welcome to our New Pupil Services Technician, Mrs. Maria Galindo!
Again, welcome Mrs. Galindo -- we're excited to have you aboard!
New Document Delivery Option in PowerSchool
The Antelope Valley Union High School District has added a document delivery feature to PowerSchool. This will enable SOAR High School to send report cards via email. In order for this feature to work, parents will need to log into their PowerSchool account and "Opt-In" for document delivery.
Please review the instructions to opt-in below:
English Instructions: http://bit.ly/DocOpt-InEng
Instrucciones en español: http://bit.ly/DocOpt-InSPAN
Senior Activities and Graduation 2021
As soon as we have details available for high school graduation ceremonies, we will share that information with our students and families. Remember, we will be following the guidelines from the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health. SOAR's graduation ceremony is tentatively set for Friday, May 28th.
For more information on AVC's virtual commencement ceremony, visit https://www.avc.edu/commencement. Please note that Mrs. Andrews will be in touch in the coming weeks regarding cap and gowns pick ups. If you have any questions, please email Mrs. Andrews (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Attendance has a direct correlation to student success! If students miss a high school class for an excusable reason, parents/guardians must email Mrs. Andrews to clear the absence: email@example.com and students must follow up with teachers for assignments. Students should follow up directly with college instructors in the case of an absence. Although we are not on campus, we are still responsible for record keeping. Please make attending both your high school and college classes a priority!
In addition to providing meals at all eight of the comprehensive high schools Mondays - Thursdays from 11am to 1pm for all persons 18 or under, Food Services is also distributing meals to all of those 18 and under at the following locations and times:
City of Palmdale
Dominic Massari Park - 37716 55th Street East (12pm - 1pm)
40th Street East and Avenue S - Dry Town (12pm - 12:20pm)
5th Street East and Avenue R (12:30pm - 1pm)
R. Rex Parris High School (12:30pm - 1pm)
City of Lancaster
Rawley Duntley Park - 3334 W. Avenue K (12pm - 12:15pm)
44125 Sierra Highway (Townhouse Motel) (12pm - 12:15pm)
Jane Reynolds Park - 716 W. Oldfield Street (12:30pm - 12:45pm)
Sgt. Steve Owens Park - 43063 10th Street West (12:30pm - 12:45pm)
American Heroes Park - 701 W. Kettering Street (12:45pm - 1pm)
- Daily meal kits include lunch and "next day" breakfast
- Friday and Saturday meal kits are provided every Thursday
- Go to avfood.org for more information
Mental Health Awareness Video
Support College-Going Wednesdays and Spirit Fridays!
Remember, the 1st Wednesdays of the month will be dedicated to supporting Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) -- please show college spirit by wearing an HBCU t-shirt!
Check Out Our New Virtual Calming Room!
The AVUHSD's Virtual Calming Room was recently designed to assist students in identifying strategies for managing their feelings and emotions. Consisting of mental health supports, mindfulness activities, guided meditations, live Zoo cameras, and much more, this website comes at the perfect time! Please check it out at the following link: https://bit.ly/AVcalm
Remember, SOAR students have access to all AVC resources as well. For information on how to get connected with AVC's Learning Center for additional support, visit AVC's website.
Fridays at SOAR
Don't forget to be a STAR!
SOAR Stars are also life-long learners and self-advocates who solve the most pressing challenges through an unwavering pursuit of knowledge, innovation, and collaboration, becoming engaged and productive leaders in their communities.