Irons Jr. High Newsletter
We Are Hawks!
Week of September 21
Wow! What a great first two weeks of in-person learning. Our social distancing systems have been working very well. I would like to thank our students, parents, and staff for understanding and implementing all of our systems with fidelity. It will continue to take all of us following our systems to keep everyone safe and as "normal" as possible.
We are still asking that if a student checked out a Chromebook from Irons, or has a device at home that can be safely transported to and from school, to bring that technology fully charged daily. We are not yet equipped to provide every student with a Chromebook. Some activities will still take place on canvas while students are attending in person learning. We have used the Canvas learning platform for the last 5 years to differentiate, engage our instruction, and allow for some self-paced learning to take place within the classroom.
We do have some technology available on campus so you do not need to request a device to use while in-person. If you no longer need technology issued to you, please return it to the library throughout the school day.
Car rider line continues to be a work in progress, but we believe the following will help.
- Pull forward in the line to close up space between cars
- Stay in the right-hand lane until you have picked up your child.
- Move to the left-hand lane to exit the drive.
- Do not park and have your child run across traffic.
- Please exit at a safe speed
As always please let me know if something is not right. We are working to improve every day!
We Are Hawks!
Remote Learner Updates
The 2nd Grading Period begins on October 13, 2020. Parents wishing to change their child’s instructional option Remote/Online to In-Person for the 2nd Grading Period should complete this google form https://forms.gle/8XSm884qjEyYDezw6 no later than Monday, September 28, by 8 AM. This will allow us time to make needed adjustments to our social distancing plans.
If there has been no contact from a parent/guardian, no changes will be made to the student’s instructional method.
You may also contact our Registrar Mrs. Moore at email@example.com for any instructional setting changes.
Here's a quick 2-minute video showing students how to access the 054 District Assessment Canvas course.
The video will be helpful for our remote learners to watch so that you will understand how to access the course. All remote learners will need to access the 054 Irons Jr. High District Assessment Canvas Course throughout the year for district developed assessments.
For the most up to date grade information please access your parent or student access account.
Grades in Canvas are not official.
Irons Jr. High Child Nutrition
All applications must be submitted every school year to continue receiving free or reduced meals.
Conroe Independent School District Gifted and Talented
Referral requests for Conroe Independent School District Gifted and Talented program will be accepted beginning October 1st. Although the testing will not take place until late January for both remote and in-person platforms, referral requests are accepted at this time. Referral requests can be made by the parents and/or teachers. If you are interested in referring your child, you may want to discuss this with your child’s teacher at conferences. Referrals will be accepted through December 18. You can find the referral form and other GT information on the CISD GT homepage.
We are so excited to start the new school year! We have missed being able to engage in person with our students and watch them as learning takes root.
As you know we have made several modifications to how we operate in order mitigate the risk of COVID-19. I want to assure you that the health and safety of your family and our staff is our highest priority.
Please Pay School Fees Online
As part of those modifications, we are asking you to use our online payment system to purchase school items when you can. Cash can play a significant role in virus transmission, and we are working toward following the World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations to use contactless payments to mitigate virus spread.
Paying Online is Fast and Easy
Paying school fees online is fast and easy and can be done from any computer or smartphone. Getting setup up is three simple steps:
1. Create Your Profile: Go to www.conroeisd.schoolcashonline.com and click on “Get Started Today”.
2. Confirm Your Email: Check your inbox for the email confirmation and click on the link inside. Sign in with your new login details.
3. Add a Student: Click “Add Student” and fill in the required fields with your child’s details.
Face Coverings Are Required
Volleyball will play Stockton next week in our first district home game.
Ticket Information will come from Coach Cote next week.
Football will start the season next week with a scrimmage verses Stockton @ ORHS
Ticket information will come from Coach Patterson this week.
Masks Are Required for Spectators at UIL Athletic Competition including outside events.
Please see the Irons Athletic Website for more information.
Parents if you chose remote learning and decide to return to in person learning you must communicate the change with the campus first and then register for transportation again.
It can take 3-5 school days for bus transportation to become available.
For complete information on bus transportation, including bus numbers and stop times, please visit https://www.conroeisd.net/transportation/
As you plan for return to campus next week please discuss with your child the method of transportation they will ride home on the first day of school. Please double check that everyone is on the same page with transportation.
Irons Yearbooks On Sale Now
2020-2021 yearbooks are currently available for $45, which will be the best price of the year!
Please go to www.Balfour.com to pre-order.
Student Covid-19 Screening
Irons family you are valued partners in our Roadmap to Reopening Plan. In addition to wearing cloth face coverings, social distancing, washing hands, and regular cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces, another essential element in helping slow the spread of COVID-19 at school is each parent’s commitment to screening their child daily for symptoms.
Parents are asked to keep any student exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 at home and to notify the campus at firstname.lastname@example.org or 936-709-8500
Please review the information and be sure to keep your child at home if he/she is exhibiting any of the symptoms described.
Tips for Return to In-Person School
- Bring a water bottle with your name on it.
- Get your student ID from your 1st period Teacher if you have not done so. You will need it for lunch.
- Get plenty of rest and plan to be here on time. School Starts at 8:50
- Avoid car-pooling with other students unless necessary - wear face masks if social distancing cannot be achieved.
- Bring one or two masks with you to school. Gaiters are ok to wear but a cloth face mask is preferred.
- No outside deliveries for lunch.
- Wear your mask at all time
- Make this work - we want you to be in school as safely as possible - we can do all the planning in the world but we need you to help us pull it off.
1. Students should log into Canvas via the Single Sign On System. To log onto the SSO follow these directions:
Step 1. Go to conroeisd.net
Step 2. Click on Conroe ISD SSO at the top of the webpage
Step 3. Log into the SSO by using the student's username and password
Step 4. Click on Canvas in the SSO
Step 5. Click on Google Drive in the SSO
Both Canvas and Google Drive should be open to make assessing curriculum easier.
2. Once in Canvas, students will see their courses. They need to engaged with every course daily. The State of Texas has a rule that for students to receive credit for a course they must be in attendance 90% of the time. They have not waived this rule for remote learning - so it is imperative that students engage in their courses when they are scheduled.
3. During Remote Learning our teachers will have synchronous time available. Please see you teachers Canvas page for times.
4. Free and Reduced Meal Application must be updated by September 24th to continue to receive services after that date. The online application only take about 15 minutes to complete, and significantly speeds up the approval process.
5. Curbside Meal Distribution will begin Thursday, August 13, breakfast and lunch meals will be available curbside at Irons for students to purchase or free to students who qualify.
We are no longer allowed by the state to distribute meals free to all students.
Meals will be available on the bus ramp Tuesdays and Thursdays 10 a.m. until noon. Multiple meals will be distributed on pick up days.
Tuesday: 2 breakfast meals/ 2 lunch meals
Thursday: 3 breakfast meals/ 3 lunch meals
A student meal card located in Parent Access must be presented to scan and identify the student when meals are picked up. The card can be printed on paper or presented electronically on a phone. No change will be made for cash transactions and any change will be applied to student's meal account.
Pre-payments can be made at https://www.myschoolbucks.com/
Meal prices and the free and reduced meal application are available on the child nutrition website. https://www.conroeisd.net/department/child-nutrition/