by Brennan Hicken
* India is a peninsula. On the west is the Arabian Sea, the east is the Bay of Bengal, and on the south is the Indian Ocean.
* The Himalayan Mountains are super tall. They are among the tallest mountains in the world. One part of the Himalayan Mountains that is in India is called Kanchenjunga. It is a holy mountain so no one is allowed to climb its peak. It is 28,208 feet tall.
* India's geography is very diverse. It has plains, deserts, plateaus, and mountains. These include the Indo- Gangetic Plain, Thar Desert, Deccan Plateau, and Ghat Mountains.
Holidays and Customs
Diwali is a Hindu festival that marks the New Year on the Hindu Calendar. Diwali lasts five days in October or November. People light candles and lamps. They also sing Musical chants and prayers. My favorite part would be the fireworks.
Holi is the festival of colors held in the spring. People throw colored water and powder at each other. They have bonfires and music and dancing.
People in India take their shoes off to show respect before entering a building. They also use their right hand to eat with as they consider the left hand to be dirty.
The Holi festival
India has a lot of unique and interesting laws. Here are some examples. Mostly because of peoples religion you can not kill a cow. Another law is that a husband can't go to drink without his wife's written permission.
India was ruled for many years by the British government. In 1915 Gandhi launched a non violent resistance against British. In 1947, India gained their independence from Britain. Gandhi is know as the father of the country.
Starting in 2004 and ending in 2005, India had a lot of floods, earthquakes, and tsunamis. Over 18000 people died.
Coins from Guapta Kings age
Devastating earthquakes in 2004-2005
- Many American companies outsource many computer jobs to Indian companies.
- People often eat with their hands.
- The most popular sports in India are cricket, field hockey and soccer.
- India is the world's largest tea producer.
- India has over 1 billion people.
- Most people in India are Hindu