~FROM THE PRINCIPAL~
On November 28th, you should have gotten an email asking for your input on our school schedule through Thoughtexchange. Once you have a chance to share your thoughts, you can see others' thoughts too and rank them with stars. In the end, we will have Monroe and district wide data to see how parents and staff feel about the school calendar. Thanks in advance for your input. If you didn't get it before, here is the link: https://my.thoughtexchange.com/#931965040/hub
Thank you for sending your children to Monroe! It is an honor for us to work with them.
- The Health Assistant would like to say thank you for the great donations of pants and shirts that have been sent in. We are always in need of more items, so if you are cleaning house for the holidays you can still bring in gently used clothes! Thanks again!
- Remember to dress for the weather. Students go outside everyday unless it is -5 degrees or colder.
- If your child is participating in the Timberwolves' Read to Achieve reading program, the deadline to turn in the form is Wednesday, December 13.
No December PTO Meeting
5 - Science Museum Presentation for 3rd & 4th Graders12- 2 Hour Late Start/Teacher PLC
19- "Lights of the Season" Winter Concert- 9:30 & 1:15 (Grades 1, 3, & 5)
22- All School Assembly- 1:30
25- Jan. 2- NO SCHOOL/NO EXCEL
Jan. 3- School Resumes
Jan. 8- EXCEL Resumes
Jan. 9- 2 Hour Late Start/Teacher PLC
Jan. 15- NO SCHOOL
Jan. 16- PTO Meeting 6:30 pm
Jan. 18- MSU Children's Play- Lunchroom
Jan. 26- NO SCHOOL
Way to Go Monroe!!
Winter Weather Information
- Students go outdoors every day unless it is colder than -5 degrees.
- Dress appropriately: This includes a warm coat, hat, snow pants, boots, and mittens. Have their name clearly marked on these items.
- Call the District Helpline at 507-386-4777 after 6:00 am for weather related news. You can also call this line to see if there is an early release.
- Please call the helpline, not the office.
- If school is dismissed early, Monroe is dismissed 15 minutes earlier than the announced time. Ex. Elementary dismissal time is 1:00 pm, Monroe will dismiss at 12:45.
- You may pick up your child earlier than the dismissal time. DO NOT park in the bus-loading zone. On a snow dismissal day, parents must come into the school to get students, unless your emergency plan states to walk home or ride the bus.
- Students will be held in school until a parent or other approved caregiver picks them up inside the building.
- If your family plans have changed from when you filled out your early release form at the beginning of the year, please contact the teacher to let them know of this change immediately.
PLC- 2 Hour Late Start- December 12, 2017
On the second Tuesday of every month the teachers meet for a Professional Learning Community Meeting. Buses will run 2 hours late on late start days. Monroe School will begin at 10:00 AM, rather than 8:00 AM on these days. To accommodate parents that need childcare on late start days, we will provide supervision beginning at 7:40 AM for students needing this service. However, parents MUST complete the online form to sign your child up. There will be no charge but it is very important that we have an accurate count of students arriving early to plan for adequate adult supervision. You will be asked to complete a registration form for each month. To sign up for the December 12th PLC please, click here. Activities for students during this time may include such things as homework help, quiet reading time, and story time. Breakfast will be available serving from 7:40-7:50 AM.
**If you sign your child up and they DO NOT come, we ask that you CALL THE SCHOOL by 8:00 AM that morning as we WILL be taking attendance.
Children not needing childcare on the late start days should arrive at school between 9:40 and 9:50, with the tardy bell going at 10:00 AM.
Late Start Dates: The second Tuesday of Every Month
- January 9
- February 13
- March 13
- April 10
- May 8
Students Starting Kindergarten in 2018
If you have a preschooler that will be entering kindergarten in the 2018-2019 school year and has not had an Early Childhood Screening, or if you are not planning on sending your child to kindergarten, please call Central Registration at 507-207-4037.
In Minnesota, children are eligible to attend kindergarten when they are five years old on or before September 1st of the calendar year that schools starts. Early Childhood Screening is required before Kindergarten registration.
Kindergarten registration packets will be sent out in January 2018 prior to Kindergarten Round-Up.
What does the R in Monroe PRIDE "Respect" look like in all areas of the school?
From the Media Room- Mrs. Hagen
From the Music Room- Mrs. Hopf
You are invited to attend the Winter Music Program-
"Lights of the Season"
Tuesday, December 19
The 1st, 3rd, and 5th grade classes will perform at
9:30 am and 1:15 pm.
From the Gym.- Mr. Carlson
Physical Education has been moving along smoothly and we have been proud of the effort we have observed. Students have been willing to try their best. This is very important because we don't expect students to be the best at everything, but we expect them to try their best. A quick reminder, it is going to get cold out and that makes it harder to get outside and get the physical activity that we all need. We have talked about this in class and have made some suggestions of activities for the students to do inside. Also, encourage your children to bundle up and get outside to play. The activity we are currently working on in PE is the skill of jumping rope. The students have been working on jump bands, Chinese jump ropes, single, partner, and long rope jumping. This activity is great for cardiovascular endurance, coordination and of course, working together with their classmates. During January we will be having our annual Jump Rope for Heart Fundraiser. The other activities we will be working on this time of year are basketball, climbing wall skills and the 4th and 5th graders will cross country ski (if the weather cooperates). If it does snow, and we are able to ski, make sure to send snow pants, gloves, hats and warm jackets. So as always, remember to stay active, live healthy, and have fun doing it!
From the Art Room- Mrs. Wingen
Our students have been busy creating Holiday cards for local nursing homes. Art projects for grades 1st, 3rd and 5th grade will be placed on the walls in the gym for the Winter Music Program. When I return in December, I hope to find that the Original Works fundraiser projects have been returned for me to hand back. Happy holidays to all our students and families from the Creative Art Corner.
~News From the PTO~
There will be NOT be a PTO meeting in December.
Please support the PTO, Teachers, and Students by saving Milk Moola, Box Tops for Education and HyVee Receipts.
Attendance Line 207-5657
Mankato Public Schools Hotline 386-4777
School Hours 8:00-2:30
Building Hours 7:30-3:30
Principal Steve Johanson
Secretary Mara Dehning
Clerical Asst. Mary Krueger
Health Asst. Madeline Veroeven