Theres nothing special about HB
History on Napier
Napier is the largest city in the Hawke's Bay region. In 1851 the Crown purchased the Ahuriri block from the Maori.
In 1854 Mr Alfred Domett was appointed Commissioner of Crown Lands and Resident Magistrate at Ahuriri. The town was named Napier in honour of Sir Charles Napier, the hero of the Battle of Meeanee in the Indian province of Scinde.
Early Napier consisted of an oblong mass of hills almost entirely surrounded by water. The town flourished and became a well established commercial centre with a growing port, servicing a wide area.