Boone Meadow Community Update
Monday - April 27, 2020
Boone Meadow Families
A few items to note for the week ahead:
- Our Family Input Survey is available for families to provide feedback regarding the school year. Please see additional information below.
- Once again, our related arts team has provided a commercial to provide an overview of this week's ongoing opportunities. Be sure to click on the Related Arts preview to view dynamic and engaging learning opportunities available this week. More info is located below!
- The online book fair continues until May 3rd. Our primary objective is to provide families with access to new books in a way that is easy. (more info below)
- We've received a few inquires regarding supply kits for next year. We have ordering information below. You can also access our supply lists for next year on our school website. Supply kits are available for order until June 15th.
- Lastly, please note the 2020-2021 registration information for ALL students returning to ZCS. I have included details in the update below.
Lastly, know that we continue to be here for you and to assist as best we are able. Please do not hesitate to reach out with your questions or concerns.
Be kind to others, be kind to yourself, and stay well.
We miss you,
Family Input Survey
Dear Boone Meadow Families,
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback regarding your child's learning experience. Your input provides us the opportunity to reflect on our strengths and areas to strengthen. We readily admit that we, as a staff, must always strive to grow in our work and practices.
- Our staff is committed to continuity in relationship with students and families whenever possible. In doing so, we believe we can serve students and families better. Therefore, it is our goal for students to remain with their classroom teacher for more than one year when possible.
- For the upcoming 2020-21 school year, we plan to continue a looping model with 1st grade to 2nd grade. Likewise, we desire to do the same with 3rd grade to 4th grade. Please note: As enrollment changes or other placement needs must be considered, continued placements are not guaranteed.
- Please, do not include requests for specific teachers.
Should you desire to share input and feedback, please complete the survey by Monday, May 18th. This will allow us the opportunity to adequately review your input before the end of the school year.
To access, click here: Family Input Survey
This Week in Related Arts - More Opportunities Galore!
Next Year's School Supplies
Our school has once again partnered with 1st Day School Supplies in order to assist families with next year's classroom supplies. You can get the exact supplies your teachers requested without the hassle of back to school shopping!
- All kits will be delivered to your student's classroom prior to the first day of school.
- PTO and the school receive no proceeds from the service. The desire is to simply provide a convenient service at a reasonable price.
Note: Deadline to order is June 15.
Any questions can be directed to Andrea Wickard at firstname.lastname@example.org
BME Supply Link: https://www.1stdayschoolsupplies.com/kits.php?sid=1177525)
Online Book Fair
- Boone Meadow PTO is hosting a Virtual Scholastic Book Fair from APRIL 20 - MAY 3.
- Our motive behind hosting a virtual book fair is to provide families with a service to access new books. Fundraising is not our primary goal through this opportunity. However, note that all purchases do indeed benefit our school and earn rewards.
- Orders ship directly to your home & book-only orders over $25* receive FREE shipping
- Over 6,000 items to choose from through the Scholastic Store Online.
- Visit our Book Fair Homepage and click “Shop Now” to get started:
Action Required - Registration for the 2020-2021 School Year
With May right around the corner, it will soon be time to start our registration process for next school year.
This year ZCS will leverage PowerSchool Parent accounts for our registration process for all students rather than sending snap codes as we have done in the past. If your child wasn’t tied to a Parent Portal account, you should have received an email on April 13th from email@example.com with the subject line of “ZCS PowerSchool Parent Portal Account - Action Required” with instructions on how to set up a PowerSchool Parent Portal account.
If you haven’t done so already, please be sure your child is tied to your PowerSchool Parent Portal account to facilitate this process. You will not be able to register your student for 20-21 until that has been completed. If you have any problems with this process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your child will not be returning to Zionsville Schools next year, please notify our Boone Meadow registrar, Beth Kiel, at email@example.com at your earliest convenience.
Strong In Every Way (SIEW) Daily Challenge - optional
Over the next 6 weeks, our elementary wellness team will be highlighting SIEW (Strong in Every Way) DAILY CHALLENGE on your child's Canvas course from Mr. Stephens.
Each weekday will focus on a dimension of wellness and give a quick explanation of an active challenge for you and your family. The goal is to get you thinking, moving, laughing, and inspired to come up with additional family challenges while at home together. If the specific challenge presented does not work for all members of your family, modify the challenge and be creative. Mr. Stephens is always available via email for additional support. Then, you can direct your kids to the optional enrichment activities posted each week to keep your kids moving at home.
On the home page of the wellness course, click the SIEW Daily Challenge button, and you and your family will be ready for the challenge of the day. Have fun, and you always have the option to share out your videos and pictures to Mr. Stephens!
Once the challenge is complete, you can also share via social media using the tags @MyZvilleSchools @ZCSBoone_Meadow #SIEWDAILYCHALLENGE #ZCSSTRONG
Kindergarten Pre-Registration for the 20-21 school year -
- If you already pre-registered for Kindergarten Round Up, you need to do nothing at this time.
- We are currently accepting kindergarten registrations for families/students that have not yet registered. Please click on the link below to begin the registration process.
- When we are able to return to school, our team will schedule a special time for you and your child to come to our school and learn about kindergarten. This Kindy experience will most likely occur this summer.
- If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
ZCS Kindergarten pre-registration link: http://secure.infosnap.com/family/gosnap.aspx?action=22262&culture=en
Not returning to Boone Meadow or Zionsville Community Schools next year?
If your family plans are moving you away from BME or ZCS for the 2020-2021 school year, please email our amazing Administrative Assistant/Registrar, Beth Kiel, at email@example.com.
Thank you for your assistance as we begin preparation for the upcoming school year!
Hussey Mayfield Public Library
Hussey Mayfield Memorial Public Library (the Zionsville Public Library) is still closed, but they have set up a way for people who don't have a library card to register online and get a "card" (an email with card number and pin) within 24 hours.
This is GREAT news for our staff/students/community, because the public library has an absolute treasure trove of digital resources that can be accessed during this time of e-learning.
Here are the instructions to get signed up for a card while the library is closed:
Get a Library Card within 24-Hours
Visit our Get a Card page , fill out the application, and all eligible applicants will receive an email within 24-hours with their new, personal Library Card information.
Please fill out an application for each person in your family who wants their own card. ALL ages are welcome to receive a card.
Cards issued while we are closed will expire within 6 months from the date of issue. When the Library reopens, please bring your valid ID to the Library to extend your expiration date.
Counselor's Corner: Resources
Help your family to grow closer and increase your resilience. This link will take you to a parent resource about family resilience.
Also, don’t forget about our counselor as a resource for your family. If you would like to contact Kristi Sloan, our School Counselor, please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sesame Street Little Children, Big Challenges
Young children face new challenges at every age and stage. That’s why it’s so important to help them build the skills they need to become resilient. With self-confidence and the ability to express themselves, little ones will be able to handle whatever may come their way and will just keep getting stronger.
How to Talk to your Kids About Coronavirus
This is an article written by PBS Kids about how to talk to children about coronavirus. You will find tips for handwashing, covering coughs, and practicing healthy habits.
Support for Helpers during Coronavirus
Resources from the Fred Rogers Center in addition to partner organizations for those of you looking for ways to create learning opportunities and structure for children.
Confidential Food Assistance from ZCS
Please use this link to set up a pick-up time for a food package from ZCS Food Service.
Assistance from the Boys and Girls Club
The Boys and Girls Club will also be offering a take out evening meal at the Lebanon Unit, 403 West Main Street. The offering is available to Club members and any community member in need during these difficult times.
Meals will be available Monday through Friday beginning March 16 - March 27 from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. with a limit of eight carry-out meals per family. We are initially preparing meals for at least 100 people each day and will make adjustments as needed.
Zionsville Food Pantry
4775 W. 116th St, Zionsville
Phone 317-873-8137, ext. 1087
Hours of Operation on Thursdays from 5-6 pm and Fridays from 12-2 pm
The Caring Center
1230 Ransdell Ct.
Hours of Operation on Mondays & Wednesdays from 8 am - 2 pm
Hours of Operation on Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays from 11 am - 5 pm
(Closed on 3rd Tuesday and 4th Thursday of each month.)