Trail Blazer News
Conducted by Kathryn and Clara
What is your favorite specialist?
What is your favorite planet?
What is your flower?
What is your favorite state?
What is your favorite T.V. show?
Elise: Teen Titans Go.
What is your favorite movie?
Elise: Tomorrow Land.
9/25/15: Student-Led Conferences (No School)
9/28/15: No School (Teacher Workday)
9/29/15: International Potluck 5:30-7:00 p.m.
10/6/15: PTO Meeting 6:00 p.m. at Hillcrest
10/7/15: Walk to School Day
10/15/15: Fun Run
Wish List: We would greatly appreciate your support!
- Peanut Free Snack
- Gallon Zip-Lock Bags
- Amazon Gift Cards so that we can purchase the remaining four stability disks (as seen through the provided link) so that each student can have one. :)
What We are Learning
Reading: We are focusing on nonfiction text features as we explore books about weather and maps.
- RI.2.5 Know and use various text features (e.g., captions, bold print, subheadings, glossaries, indexes, electronic menus, icons) to locate key facts or information in a text efficiently.
Writing: We will continue our Personal Narrative unit this week, and students will continue to use the writing process (brainstorming, drafting, revising, editing, conferencing, and publishing). We are focusing primarily on organization, adding details, and temporal words.
- W.2.3 Write narratives in which they recount a well-elaborated event or short sequence of events, include details to describe actions, thoughts, and feelings, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide a sense of closure.
Fundations: We will conclude Unit 3 with our test on Friday. We are focusing on closed syllable exceptions, closed syllables, glued sounds, vowel teams, and r-controlled sounds.
- RF.2.3 Know and apply grade -level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding.
- RF.2.3.D Decode words with common prefixes and suffixes.
- RF.2.3.A Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one syllable words.
Math: We will begin our Money Unit on Monday by focusing on coin identification and counting groups of coins.
- 2.MD.C.8 Solve word problems involving dollar bills or quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies; using symbols appropriately
Science: We will continue our study of weather through creating weather journals, exploring live weather through Google Earth, and creating interactive science journal entries.
- 2.E.1 Understand patterns of weather and factors that affect weather.
Social Studies: We will use continue our map unit by exploring maps our our school and community using GoogleEarth in addition to traditional maps. Students will design their own maps which include symbols, legends, and cardinal directions.
● 2.G.1.1 Interpret maps of the school and community that contain symbols, legends and cardinal directions.