About S.T.Is, Contraception, Laws and more
Are All Young Prople Having Sex?
- By the end of year 10, 26% of students have had sex.
- By the end of year 12, just over 52% have had sex.
Effects of Unsafe Sex
Sexually Transmitted Infections
Concerned about S.T.Is?
If you or someone you know is concerned about S.T.Is, heres some things you can do:
- If you are worried about your own sexual health, go to your local GP or sexual health clinic.
- If someone you know is concerned about S.T.Is, be supportive and assist where possible.
Age of Consent
The age of consent in Victoria is 16. This means:
- If you're under 12 you can't give free agreement to sex or sexual touching. If this happens he/she can be jailed for up to 25 years.
- If you're between 12 and 15 you can't give free consent to someone more then 2 years older than you. If this happens he/she can be jailed for up to 10 years.
- If you're between 16 and 17 you can't have sex with someone who's involved in your supervision or care.
You cannot give free consent whilst under the influence of drugs/alcohol.
Types of Contraception
There are lots of different types of contraception. It can be confusing trying to decide which method is right for you. Make sure you see your doctor or health care worker to help you make this decision.
Most effective forms of contraception for young people
- Non-penetrative sex
- contraceptive pills
- Implanon® (implant)
- Emergency contraception
What you can do if you are pregnant
There are 3 main things you can do if you fall pregnant
- You can have an abortion. Though later in life it can make it difficult to conceive, it can also leave you emotionally scarred.
- You can of course keep your child. To do this it will be easier if you have your friends and familys support, so they can help and guide you to be the best parent possible and to raise your child the best way possible.
- You can give your child up for adoption. This is a extremely hard desisions for many people expecting to be a parent. you have to think of all the factors like if you can afford to support your child in everyway needed and support yourself as well as.