How to make a Glowstick
1.) Acquire Supplies
- 2 large ceramic mixing bowls
- Plastic containers like test tubes or shampoo bottles
- 2 liters (67 fl oz) of distilled water
- 50 milliliters (1.7 fl oz) of hydrogen peroxide
- 0.2 grams of luminol (do not touch it; use the container to pour from and wear gloves)
- 4 grams of sodium carbonate
- 0.5 gram of ammonium carbonate
- 0.4 gram of copper sulfate pentahydrate
- Protective glasses
2.) Safety First (Unless you believe highly in yourself)
Put on Protective Goggles as well as Gloves
3.) Combining Sciency Stuff
Combine 50 milliliters of hydrogen peroxide and a liter of water in the first mixing bowl.
4.) Combining more Sciency Stuff in a other bowl
Mix the 2 grams of luminol, 4 grams of sodium carbonate, .4 grams of copper sulfate, .5 grams of ammonium carbonate and the 1 liter of water in the second bowl.
Set the correct lid next to each container. This enables you to seal the containers quickly after filling.
6.) Almost Done
Pour equal amounts of the first solution with equal amounts of the second solution in each container and close the bottles.
Watch as the compounds start to glow. If you don't see it glow then you didn't believe enough.