Our Lady of Lourdes School T1, 2022
Nau mai, Haere mai, Welcome to Term1: Week 2
HELLO, KIA ORA, KIA ORĀNA, MALO E LELEI, TALOFA, NAMASTE, KUMUSTA...
Blessings to you all as we journey into Week 2. We had a wonderful start to our school year for 2022. Our children/tamariki enjoyed connecting with one another, beginning to settle into new class routines and of course the new learning spaces are just fabulous. Our swimming pool certainly came in handy with the hot weather of last week.
Thank you to those who have returned the forms we sent home last week - it is vital that we have all your latest information so that we can contact you.
This week we are sending home the NETSAFE forms for you to talk to your child about and return to school. Your child will need to return this prior to using any devices in the school. This is an annual form we send home so that you are aware of the guidelines and expectations we use to keep your child digitally safe at this school/kura.
Blessings to you all for your week ahead - go gently, stay well and thank you for supporting our school with such kindness and Mercy.
The team at Our Lady of Lourdes.
SCHOOL SET UP FOR 2022
CLASSROOM SET UP FOR 2022
This year we have three learning HUBS are working well at these initial stages. A reminder of the classroom names and teachers in these.
We also have new names reflecting our journey into who we are as a school/kura.
JUNIOR HUB (starting at the field end of junior block)
Ōkatia - The mighty Tōtora that forged the gorge. In it lived the spirit Ōkatia.
Room 1: Ōkatia Tahi - Mrs Caroline Gilligan (Year 0&1)
Room 2: Ōkatia Rua - Mrs Corina Cheetham (Year 1&2)
Room 3: Ōkatia Toru - Mrs Colette O'Connor (Year 2&3)
MIDDLE HUB (The two classrooms closest to the courts/carpark of junior block)
Tū Manawa - The heart standing together
Room 4: Tū Manawa Whā - Mrs Julie Moor (Year 3&4)
Room 5: Tū Manawa Rima - Mrs Helena Pedley (Year 3&4)
SENIOR HUB (Upstairs)
Te Āwhina - The heart standing together
Room 6:Te Āwhina Ono - Mrs Davinia O'Callaghan (Year 5&6)
Room 8: Te Āwhina Waru - Mr Michael Anderson (Year 5&6)
TERM ONE HAPPENINGS - (we have had to revise the term ahead due to RED level)
- Setting new school and classroom expectations
- An emphasis on and ENCOUNTER with God and the Gospel teachings of Jesus, strengthened by GROWTH in our knowledge of Catherine McAuley as we LIVE, LEARN and LOVE Mercy values founded by the Mercy sisters
- Our St Bernadette feast day is postponed for now
- Important liturgical events in our church - Ash Wednesday, Lent, and Easter will be carefully planned for - most likely within our HUBS for now.
- STAFF ONLY DAY (SCHOOL CLOSED) - MONDAY FEBRUARY 21st - all Catholic schools in our Palmerston North Catholic Kāhi Ako will be working with Rangitane on this day.
- Life Education bus from February 22nd - with a health lens. This will be supported with further work on Zones of Regulation that began last year.
- We have swimming for the first six weeks - please bring togs to school everyday
- Our senior camp is postponed until the end of Term 3 for now.
- All Catholic schools Combined Tabloids are postponed at this stage.
COVID 19 UPDATE
COVID 19 UPDATE
The return to school is slightly different than what we all hoped for. We are following all Ministry of Education guidelines over these coming weeks. School is open for all at this stage and we ask that we all work together for the good of all. We will re-establish the same health and hygiene practises as last year. Your child will sanitise on their way in to school through the front gate.
Children from Year 4 upwards are required to wear a face mask and we will go through this process gently with your child throughout the day.
Parents/whanau are able to come onto school for educational purposes - ie settling in their child to a new classroom - and we remind you that wearing a face mask and scanning in is a requirement of all. We will keep you updated through all our school apps should anything change.
We have moved our uniform to Academy Apparel on Broadway Avenue. We have heard that there is a supply issue with the new uniform - as we hear from many businesses. We always knew transitioning to a new uniform would take us over a year.
For 2022: we understand that there maybe challenges trying to source the new uniform and will help anyway we can. Please wear our older style uniform for the year if you are able and have access to one.
- If you have the new uniform - that is great.
- If you have to do a mixture for now - no problem. We will all work together on this and we will get there.
- We have a lot of wonderful donated items in the office area so if you are struggling with sourcing a uniform please come in and have a look - they are free to a good home.
We hope that by 2023 we can have all children in our new school uniform with the PE uniform used for sports activities only.
Let's go gently and work together on this.
TERM ONE DATES FOR 2022
We have reviewed our school calendar for the term and working to keep things as simple as we can for now, for the health and safety of all.
- MONDAY FEBRUARY 21st - Kāhui Ako Staff Only day - all Palmerston North Catholic SCHOOLS CLOSED
- Tuesday February 23nd - Life Education is here for the week
- Wednesday March 2nd - Ash Wednesday
- Thursday April 14th - HOLY THURSDAY
- THURSDAY APRIL 14th - END OF TERM ONE
- Friday April 15th - Good Friday - SCHOOL CLOSED FOR THE TERM BREAK
DATES for 2022
Term 2 - Monday 2nd May - Friday 8th July
Term 3 - Monday 25th July - Friday 30th September
Term 4 - Monday 17th October - 14th December (to be confirmed)
St Vincent de Paul
Society of St Vincent de Paul:
Youth Co-ordinator Position
We are currently seeking a person to work across
the Catholic schools in the city.
The position involves 10 hours a week during school
For a job description, rates of pay etc please contact
Rose Semmens 06 3575429
Applications close 18 February
St Vinnie's Shop 252 Rangitikei Street
We need volunteers - for an interview
Phone Toni 357 6779