SHS Weekly Update
SHS Wins 1st Place in STEM Day Challenge
The SHS Engineering III/II National STEM Day team won top prize ($1,000) in the ODU/VA Modeling and Simulation Center’s National STEM Day (Nov 8, 2022) Challenge. The students across the Region 2/Tidewater area were challenged to build an arcade game for National STEM Day.
The arcade game had to be:
- made from household items and/or repurposed parts
- must have two features that can move or have motion
- must have a token or ticket dispenser that works
The Packer Team created a pinball machine made from Amazon cardboard boxes, household items (rubber bands, marble, etc) and old robotics parts (sensors, motors, etc).
Click here to read the full press release from VMASC.
ISLE Award Winners
Holiday Spirit Week Begins Monday
Softball conditioning for ALL players will begin when we return from Winter Break, on Wednesday, Jan 4th. We will have conditioning from 3:00-4:30 on Mondays and Wednesdays for all players, and Fridays from 3:00 to 4:00 for Pitchers and Catchers. See Coach Jackson for info if you are interested and have not yet signed up.
- Please go to Jostens.com to order your cap and gown. The price of your cap and gown will increase January 1, 2023, per Jostens.
- December Senior Social will be on Wednesday, December 14. Please pay senior dues by December 9 to participate.
Mark Your Calendars
- Home Boys Basketball Game against New Kent - 12/9 at 5:30 and 7 p.m.
- Holiday Chorus Concert - 12/9 at 7 p.m.
- Boys Basketball Showcase event - 12/10. Three games for $10. Start time is 1 p.m.
- Wrestling team will compete in the Billy Martin Duals at Granby High - 12/10 at 9 a.m.
- Smithfield Christmas Parade - 12/10
- Jazz Band Performance - 12/12 at 7 p.m.
- SHS Craft Fair - 12/13 from 5-9 p.m.
- Wrestling team will compete at home in a quad match - 12/13 at 6 p.m. Cost is $6.
- Concert Band Performance - 12/16 at 7 p.m.
Recognize Your Graduating Senior!
Click the link below for more information about purchasing a yearbook ad recognizing a member of the Class of 2023. The deadline is January 13.