Math Stuff #11
Highlighting some Math Ideas and Strategies
This is a link to a NCTM site about problem solving and ways to prepare students for problem solving.
PUT THE TEKS IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND WITH THIS APP
2nd - 9 WEEKS (WEEK 6) - 3RD GRADE SKILLS BLOCK
* Continue addition /subtraction fact fluency- each student is working on activities to support their individual goal
* Decomposing Facts-Choose facts that many students are struggling to master and discuss/create arrays and anchor charts about ways to decompose that fact into facts they already know. By decomposing facts, you are finding relationships between facts. See Investigations TE unit 5 pg 157 & 174 and SAB Unit 5 pg 18.
* Continue Multiplying by 10-
* Begin discussing which types of actions are used in multiplication and division problems. Create an anchor chart for students to refer back to. For example: Multiplication Actions: equal groups of, repeated addition, rows/columns, arrays, opposite of division, area, all possible combinations, etc… Division Actions: dividing into equal groups, splitting into equal groups, sharing in equal groups, making equal groups, putting into equal groups, dividing in half, missing factor, opposite of multiplication, etc…
2nd - 9 WEEKS (WEEK 6) - 4TH GRADE SKILLS BLOCK
* Multiplication Fact Fluency-each student is working on activities to support their individual goal
* Addition and Subtraction Word Problems: See Eduphoria Lesson “AddSub4th.pdf”
* Multiplication Practice – Are students decomposing factors correctly? Are they multiplying my multiples of ten correctly?
2nd - 9 WEEKS (WEEK 6)- 5TH GRADE SKILLS BLOCK
* Multiplication/Division Fact Fluency-each student is working on activities to support their individual goal
* Support Activity #27: Fraction Race - See Eduphoria-Fact Fluency Tab – 5th Grade Fluency pg 259 – use student created fraction kit instead of pre-made copies
* Adding and Subtracting Fractions with Like Denominators - Use AddSub Fractions 1, 2, or 3 documents in eduphoria - 2nd 9 weeks - Skills Block tab - Students need to model each fraction and be able to describe what is happening. Teachers must look for more than just the correct answer. This is a concept that students can get correct answers in, but not understand why. They only way to find out if they understand why the denominator does not change, is to have them model and explain verbally and in writing. Use student created fraction kit to prove answers (as needed)
* Last Equation Wins – See Eduphoria – 2nd Nine Weeks - Skills Block Tab