Kennedy Parent Newsletter
January 15th, 2021
New Schedule - The new 5 day schedule will start on Monday, January 25th. I have included the schedule below. (See Fargo Public Schools District Calendar 2020-21.)
Changes- Students eat in the lunch room (starting on 1/25). During lunch, students will be podded (sitting in a small group while unmasked) in groups of 4 or 5 students with others from their class. The lunch pods will be consistent with pods that are currently in the classroom. (For contact tracing purposes, seats will be assigned in lunch and in the class.) Two classes in a grade will be going outside at the same time and can use the same play area (i.e., equipment, green space or fitness equipment). A minimum of one teacher will supervise recess each day and may assign students to specific areas or zones. No more distance learning on Friday. Take home meals will be suspended. If you have concerns with meals, please contact Mrs. Mitzel, our counselor, at 446-4268.
Staying the same- No visitors. No food can be brought in to share (can bring their own snack); drop off time is no earlier than 7:55 am; masks must be worn. We will continue to encourage sanitizing and social distancing when and where possible. We are not able to ensure 6 feet of social distancing at all times. Students will be considered as close contacts to a student who is positive if they are unmasked. If your child is in close contact (unmasked) with a positive student, parents will be called to quarantine their child (i.e., keep them home). If two (or more students) are unmasked for more than 15 minutes per day, they are considered a "close contact".
Attendance - FYI - Attendance is calculated on 6 periods in a school day. This means that 6 absences = 1 day.
Kindergarten Registration opens on February 1st. See below.
Parent Teacher Conferences will be held via Zoom on Thursday, February 18th & Monday, February 22nd - you will be able to sign up for a time slot the beginning of February.
Extra Mask - Please send an extra mask in your students backpack. Wearing a mask outside during recess causes the mask to become wet. Thank you.
COVID Testing - In order to keep everyone safe and return to 5-day a week school, REMEMBER: if any member of your family is tested- please make sure you keep your students home until the test results have been received. Please share the results with the school. Thank you for continuing to keep us up-to-date.
Tracking COVID related absences in PowerSchool
- For tracking purposes, the district has asked quarantined and positive students are marked ILV (ill-COVID) for 1st period. This is to assist with tracking and determining patterns of absences for the district and state. The COVID related (ILV) absence DO NOT count "against" the student, providing the student completes the work and/or participates in class Zoom or activities.
- Second period, if students do not participate on Zoom or do not complete learning activities' while at home for COVID related absences (on Zoom or turn in required work), they will be marked truant (TRU) or unverified (UNV) for the rest of the day.
School Start and End Times
All students will continue attending school Monday through Thursday. School start time is 8:10 am and dismissal time is 2:32 pm. Doors will open at 7:55 am.
DROP OFF REMINDERS:
If you drop off your child or children at school, we ask that you be kind and patient to others in the drop off loop. If the loop gets congested, you can pull to the tennis court for extra parking and drop off space.
Reminders for the drop off loop:
- Have your child ready to get out of the car once you are stopped. Have their backpack and device beside them, so they can exit the car as quickly as possible..
- All children being dropped off in the loop should get out on the passenger side door.
- Adults are to ALWAYS remain in the vehicle.
- If your child needs assistance in dressing or gathering their belongings, please park in the parking lot to assist them. Fast drop offs keeps the drop off line flowing.
- The north loop is for busses and daycares only, not for parent drop off or parent pick up.
- Parents picking up Kindergarten & 1st grade students please park on the south side of 44th Ave ONLY for the safety of your children. We do not want them crossing the street to get into your cars.
- Pull up as far as you are able.
- Be courteous to staff and others while dropping off - they are they are they to assist with the safety of dropping off and picking up of of your child/ren.
Thank you for your cooperation and showing other's empathy and kindness. We look forward to having everyone back in the building together!
No School & No Distance Learning
- Monday, January 18th - Martin Luther King Day
- Monday, February 15th
- Tuesday, February 16th
Storm Day Make-Up on APRIL 30th
Due to the storm day on December 23rd, there WILL BE SCHOOL on Friday, April 30th.
Mid-Morning Beverage Break 2020.2021
Second Semester --
Students in grades K-5 will have a choice of 1 % white milk, fat free chocolate milk or orange juice. Second semester milk will begin on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 through Friday, May 28, 2021. The cost will be $0.35 per day @ 84 days = $29.40 for the second semester.
Log into PowerSchool to pay for MidMorning Beverage Break - keep in mind it takes a couple days to process orders.
Please note there will be NO REFUNDS this year unless the student moves from the district.