Week of 10/11-10/15
October 11, 2021
OCTOBER: FALL, FESTIVALS, FAIRS, AUTUMN LEAVES, PUMPKIN SPICE, & EVERYTHING NICE!
Greetings, Bigelow families & students! With a new month comes new changes to embrace! October is fully upon us, and hopefully you are excited about the opportunities that this month holds. THANK YOU for your support & commitment to Bigelow and the school year thus far.
The beginning-of-year jitters are now behind us, and we look toward our future with hope. We hope to continue growing, learning, and refining ourselves as an entire school community, as we are still adjusting to health & safety protocols, yet still trying to operate as "normally" as possible. To help with this, we look forward to seeing students & families during our virtual Back-to-School Night on Thursday, 10/14! Details are included within this newsletter.
There is plenty of information included within this week's newsletter for your family to digest. Feel free to contact me, any other member of Bigelow Leadership, or the Executive Admin. Asst., Kersten Raso, with questions, comments, or concerns.
Lastly, we are requesting help with masks! Please ensure your child comes to school wearing a mask, and brings an extra! We hope to see all students bright & early before 8:05am each day. Thank you!
-Chassity Coston, Principal
*NOTE*: Bigelow's 6th grade will be tested on Wednesday this week.
Weekly COVID Cases
This week, Bigelow recorded 1 COVID case. Close contacts and classrooms were informed and provided instructions, per our notification protocols. Information on districtwide COVID cases and vaccination rates can be found on the Newton Health and Human Services website here: NPS COVID Case Count and Vaccination Rates.
Weekly Principal Office Hours
Ms. Coston provides families an opportunity to meet with her virtually every Tuesday from 3-4pm during office hours. This time is to ask any questions you may have, or just to say hello!
What's going on this Week?
- Holiday, no school | Indigenous People's Day
- Day 3 of the cycle
- Principal Office Hours, 3-4pm | sign up above!
- Day 4 of the cycle
- COVID testing for 6th Grade only
- Dismissal at 1:50pm
- Day 5 of the cycle
- Back-to-School Night, 6:30-8:30pm virtually; more details below
- Day 6 of the cycle
- T-shirt Fridays! Students, rock your Bigelow, college, athletic, educational, or favorite t-shirt/gear!
- Beautify Bigelow Day, 9am-3pm; more details & RSVP below
- Franklin Park Picnic! 12:30-3:30pm; more details & RSVP on flyer below
~OCT. 14TH • BACK-TO-SCHOOL NIGHT!~
Zoom Links document will be shared prior to Thursday evening.
~Bigelow Gamers Guild (Game Club)~
Contact: Mr. Burtch (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Contact: May Chen (email@example.com)
~SERVE FOR A CURE • TENNIS FUNDRAISER~
Contact: Ms. Dworetsky (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Serve For A Cure tennis fundraiser will be held on October 16th from 9:00am to 12:30pm at Newton North High School in support of the Jimmy Fund and the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. Come check out the event and participate in our amazing raffle of over 25 prizes! The raffle will take place at 12:30, then tennis will continue to be played at 1:30. Raffle tickets are $10.00; please contact Ms. Dworetsky to purchase tickets in advance.
Upcoming Important Dates:
- Sunday, October 17: Bigelow Picnic in the Park, see flyer below for more details
- Tuesday, October 19: School Picture Day, see below for more details
- Monday, October 25: 6th Grade Field Trip, more details to come
- Thursday, October 28: PTO Meeting, 7-8pm
- Tuesday, November 2: Election Day & Early Release, 11:20am
- Thursday, November 4: Monthly FORJ Meeting, 7-8pm
- Sunday, November 7: Daylight Savings Time ends
- Monday, November 8: Bigelow FORJ Program, more details to come
- Thursday, November 11: No School, Veteran's Day
We understand this meeting takes place during our Back-to-School Night. Feel free follow-up & stay connected via the provided contact information.
~TUESDAY, OCTOBER 19TH~
Picture Day ID: EVTSQBBDG (enter ID in link above; click photo)
Contact Principal Coston!
Please know that I am committed to the continued excellence of Bigelow Middle School and its families, faculty/staff, & surrounding Newton community. I look forward to an amazing, progressive, and world-changing school year as we work together to #GrowBigelow.
Please feel free to contact me as needed. In the meantime, stay safe & well.