We Are Together Tamanend!
September 13, 2019
Leave Your Mark
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Deadline to Update Student Emergency & Information Form on Parent Portal--Saturday, September 14
Picture Day--Tuesday, September 17
Parent Council--Wednesday, September 18 at 9:00 AM
7th Grade Back to School Night--Thursday, September 19 at 7:00 PM
Magazine Drive Assembly--Friday, September 20 (during school day)
8th & 9th Grade Back to School Night--Thursday, September 26 at 7:00 PM
School Holiday--Monday, September 30
7th Grade Field Trip to PA Renaissance Fair--Thursday, October 3
9th Grade Chorus Pops Concert--Thursday, October 3 at 7:00 PM
Tamanend Pink Out--Friday, October 4
Fall Dance--Friday, October 4 7:30 PM--9:30 PM
Back to School Nights
7th Grade BTSN will be held Thursday, September 19 at 7:00 pm.
The program will begin in the Auditorium with a welcome from Dr. Caughie and Mr. Dudley. This will be followed by a Specials Open House, during which parents choose which Specials teachers they would like to visit. Parents will then meet with their student's team. Parents will then have the opportunity to tour classrooms.
8th and 9th Grade BTSN will be held Thursday, September 26 at 7:00 pm
The 8th Grade program will begin with a Specials Open House, during which parents choose which Specials teachers they would like to visit. Parents will then meet with their student's team. Parents will then have the opportunity to tour classrooms.
The 9th Grade program will begin in the student's First Period class. Parents will follow their student's schedule. A Specials Open House, during which parents choose which Specials teachers they would like to visit, will be held in the middle of the evening.
Tamanend Homework Club
If your child is looking for a quiet place to complete their homework or a place to receive extra support with a challenging assignment and/or prepping for a test, the Homework Club is the place for him or her. The Homework Club at Tamanend Middle School will be held in the Cafeteria on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30 until 4:00. Peer tutoring will also be offered for students that are interested. The goal of the Tamanend Homework Club is to assist our students in tapping into their full potential by giving them a quiet, supportive place to complete their homework.
September's Featured Teacher
This month’s featured teacher is....Mr. Werner! For those of you who are unfamiliar, he is Tamanend’s enthusiastic and energetic band director. Mr. Werner has worked as a middle school teacher at Tamanend for 20 years! He started working at Tamanend right out of Penn State! Mr. Werner’s favorite part of working with band students, is that all of the kids he teaches have a determined look in their eyes to learn, and of course they have a huge passion for music! Besides being a band teacher, Mr. Werner’s hobbies outside of school include running, skiing, reading (when he has time), and of course mowing his lawn while jamming out to Zack Brown. After mowing his lawn, Mr. Werner loves to sit down and enjoy his favorite Mexican food, tacos! Mr. Werner loves to jam out to country music BUT his favorite band is The Dave Mathews Band! He enjoys watching The Big Band Theory, and his favorite book series is Game of Thrones. His favorite vacations spot is Napa Valley, California and also he enjoys visiting Cape May New Jersey. If Mr. Werner is wearing blue, it is because it happens to be his favorite color! When Mr. Werner retires, he sees himself retiring with his family and remaining close to his good friends! Thank you for reading September's Featured Teacher!
Submitted By: Paige Smithkors
Photography Credits: Shannon Adams
Reminder--Help Us Celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Kelly Ann Dolan Basketball Tournament
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Reminder--Picture Day--Tuesday, September 17
Southside STEM Club to Hold Interest Meeting September 20
We will hold an interest meeting for the Southside STEM Club Friday, September 20 during Advisory/Consult in the Cafeteria. Join us to learn about all of the exciting Science, Technology, and Engineering activities and experiments we do in this after school club.
Reminder--7th Grade Field Trip to PA Renaissance Fair
STUDENT COUNCIL CORNER
Hey Tamanend Tigers!! Student Council hopes that you had a great first full week of school! There are many upcoming events to look forward to, such as our fall dance, which will be held on Friday, October 4th from 7:30pm to 9:30pm. (Stay tuned: Special dance theme to be announced very soon!) We encourage all grades to attend the dance! Also, at the end of September we are going to have our Student Council Resource Representative elections. The Resource Representative meetings will be held on the first Wednesday of every month. Our first meeting is on October 2nd after school in the Library. We hope to see you there! Be sure to read next week’s Student Council addition in the newsletter for more updates!
Your Student Council Officers
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Reminder--Please Update Your Student Emergency & Information Form on Parent Portal by September 14
The online form will ask you to confirm and/or update the following:
- Demographic Information
- Emergency Contacts
- Health Information, including permission for emergency care and analgesic administration
- Media Release Preferences
If you do not have a Parent Portal account, please follow this link to request one. If you need help with your Parent Portal account, please contact your child’s school for assistance. Beginning August 5th, you may click here to be directed to your Parent Portal account to complete the Student Emergency & Information Form.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to update this important information!
Reminder--One School, One Book
Starting this summer, we will be engaging the Tamanend community in a One School, One Book program. A committee of teachers, librarians, and administrators worked for a year to choose a book that would appeal to our entire school community. We are pleased to announce that we will be reading Posted by John David Anderson. We encourage all of next year’s Tamanend students to read this book over the summer. We are planning a variety of activities throughout the 19-20 school year to engage all members of the Tamanend community in discussions related to this book.
Click here to hear Posted author John David Anderson talk about this book.
Click here for audio files of the book. Steps for downloading audio files to phones:
- Go to Tamanend’s website and scroll down to "School Links."
- Click the link "One Book, One School- Posted (Audiobook)."
- Log-In using your CBSD email account and password.
- Click the Play button and enjoy!
Reminder--Renovations and Improvements to Tamanend
The 2019-2020 school year will bring many positive and exciting changes to our building. On June 17, 2019 we began a renovation project that will provide air conditioning, upgraded lighting, and cosmetic improvements throughout the entire building. The project is scheduled to conclude in August, 2020. During this renovation project, banks of approximately six classrooms will be vacated for periods of approximately six weeks. As a result, many teachers will be moving classrooms at some point during the school year. To accommodate these moves, we set up three temporary classrooms in the Library and two temporary classrooms in the LGI areas of the Auditorium. Although we will face minor inconveniences during this renovation project, the upgrades will make our building more comfortable, more efficient, and more visually appealing.
Reminder--Technology Fee for Student Laptops Due
Central Bucks is in the second year of implementation of the 1:1 technology initiative. The purpose of the initiative is to allow for creation, mobility, and innovation at home and school. Every Tamanend 7th, 8th, and 9th Grader will have a laptop this year.
Families will be asked to pay a $50 usage fee for the device per student per year. This fee will cover breaks, repairs and other services. MyPaymentsPlus opens for payment Monday, August 5th. Please note:
- Families who qualify for the Free/Reduced Lunch Program will automatically receive a $0 fee in MyPayments Plus. Even though the fee is waived, families must still "checkout" to complete this step and be marked as paid on our technology report.
If you are a family dealing with financial hardships, please contact your building principal to discuss payment options.
Please contact your child's Guidance counselor if you do not have Internet access at home so that we may assist you in obtaining this service.
You may also click HERE to learn more about this initiative.
Tips for Troubleshooting Computer Issues
- If your child is interested in participating in a Tamanend Fall sport, there are several specific items (PIAA physical, Family ID, and concussion testing) that need to be completed prior to the start of the Fall sports season. Those items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page which can be found HERE.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- Open gyms for CB South boys basketball will be held on Mondays from 6:30-8:00 and Thursdays from 3:00-4:30, beginning on Monday, September 16th and running until Thursday, November 14th.
- Attention all girls interested in trying out for CB South Softball - there will be a meeting for student-athletes and their parents on Monday, September 16, at 7:00 pm in the Forum Room at CB South. The fall workout schedule will be one of the topics discussed. Anyone with questions should contact Coach Rosini (email@example.com).
- Boys Volleyball: There will be a new player/parent informational meeting on September 19th beginning at 6:30pm in room D204 at CB South. Any student in grades 9-12 interested in playing volleyball this season should attend along with a parent. If you are unable to attend or have any questions please contact Coach Ehlers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There will be a CB South Swimming and Diving Athlete/Parent Informational Meeting from 6:00-6:45pm on Wednesday, September 25th in Classroom C128 at CB South.
- A meeting will be held for all 9th through 12th graders interested in CB South Wrestling on 9/26/19 at 7 PM in the CB South Forum.
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Breakfast is Served!
Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
Reminder--Bucks County Book Fest
Reminder--Free YMCA Memberships for 7th Graders
Empower U Program at YMCA
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in box tops to the attention of NJHS.
TMS Parent Council
Wednesday, Sep. 18th, 9am
Tamanend Middle School
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. Please note that this first meeting will take place on a Wednesday. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900