Clemens Crossing Elementary School
Clemens Crossing Elementary School
Elizabeth Yankle, Assistant Principal
Welcome to the 2017-18 School Year!
Events Coming Up
- 28 - Postcards mailed for class assignments
- 31 - Open House - Kindergarten, 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- 31 - Open House - Grades 1-5, 2:30 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
- 4 - Labor Day - Schools and Offices Closed
- 5 - First Day of School
- 8 - PTA Back-to-School Family Picnic, 5:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- 13 - PTA Kick-Off Meeting, 6:30 p.m.
- 18 - Back-to-School Night for Grades K, 1 & 2 at 6:30 p.m.
- 19 - Gifted & Talented Information Session, 6:00 p.m.
- 19 - Back-to-School Night for Grades 3, 4, & 5 at 6:30 p.m.
- 21 - Schools and Offices Closed
- 22 - School Closed for Students - Professional Learning Day
To subscribe to the CCES calendar on your smartphone, electronic device, or email system use the calendar ID email@example.com.
We thank the following staff members for their service to our Clemens Crossing learning community and wish them well as they begin a new chapter in their lives.
Anjan Nath - Mr. Nath transferred to Lisbon Elementary and Waverly Elementary where he will continue to be a Gifted & Talented Resource Teacher. He wanted to have the opportunity to become full-time, and he wanted to work closer to his home.
Semanti Gangopadhyay - Mrs. Gangopadhyay transferred to Mt. Hebron High School where she will continue to teach ESOL.
Please join us in welcoming the following individuals to the Clemens Crossing Elementary family. These new staff members bring a variety of experiences that will only enhance what we offer our students:
Hakim Jones - Mr. Jones is joining Clemens Crossing Elementary as a third grade teacher after spending 19 years working at Murray Hill Middle School. He is excited to work with younger students in elementary school and start a new chapter in his career.
Drew DiMaggio - Mr. DiMaggio is joining Clemens Crossing Elementary as a .5 Gifted and Talented Resource Teacher. He is joining us after spending the past eight years as a third and fifth grade classroom teacher and instructional team leader at Jeffers Hill Elementary.
Josie Schipske - Mrs. Schipske is joining Clemens Crossing Elementary as our .5 ESOL Teacher. She taught ESOL for the past five years at Hollifield Station Elementary.
Claire Mize - Mrs. Mize is joining Clemens Crossing Elementary from Swansfield Elementary where she served as the third grade paraeducator instructional assistant. She will be the third grade paraeducator instructional assistant here at CCES.
Shaunte Nelson - Ms. Nelson is joining Clemens Crossing Elementary from Glenwood Middle where she was a special education paraeducator. She will work with our special education team as a paraeducator instructional assistant.
Marisa Kavka - Mrs. Kavka is joining Clemens Crossing Elementary from Centennial Lane Elementary where she was a paraeducator on the kindergarten team. She will be on the kindergarten team here at CCES.
Lorna Walls - Mrs. Walls is joining Clemens Crossing Elementary from Hammond Elementary where she was a paraeducator student assistant on the special education team. She will be the fifth grade paraeducator instructional assistant here at CCES.
Cristina Garcia - Mrs. Garcia is joining Clemens Crossing Elementary from Hammond Elementary where she was a paraeducator student assistant. She will continue in that same role here at CCES.
School Floor Plan Changes
Due to the continued growth of our school, we added another first grade class. As of today we have 25 homeroom classes. We have five classes each in both kindergarten and first grade. Due to the growth in first grade, the fourth and first grades are trading spaces in the building. Fourth grade will be in the former first-grade pod, and first grade will be in the former fourth-grade pod. First grade will also use the classroom next to the media center before the fifth-grade pod. These moves were made so we do not have to have homeroom classes in portable classrooms. Both Gifted and Talented Resource Teachers and both Educational Technology Teachers will use the three portables in the back of the building.
Classroom Placement Postcard
Please be on the lookout for your Classroom Placement Postcard. Postcards will be mailed no later than August 28.
NEW THIS YEAR!
If, for some reason, you do not get your classroom placement post card, you will be able to access your child's homeroom class in HCPSS Connect on August 31 at 9:00 a.m.
Please note: You will only be able to get this information if your Family File is completed (see information below).
Family File Emergency Form is Open in HCPSS Connect
You will be asked to update or provide the following information:
- Parent/guardian contact information. Please provide the most current contact information.
- Emergency contacts. Who do you want to pick up your child in case you cannot?
- Medical information
- Arrival and dismissal procedures. How will your child arrive to school and be dismissed on a daily basis? Additionally, provide what procedure your child should follow in case of an unscheduled early closing of schools.
- Media coverage. This includes students being photographed for ACE awards.
- Data confidentiality.
- PTA directory. What information do you want included in our CCES PTA Directory?
You can access HCPSS Connect here http://www.hcpss.org/connect/
Supply List for 2017-18
We encourage you to drop off your school supplies during Open House on August 31. Please be sure to clearly label your child's supplies.
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
As adults, we must follow predictable patterns and routines, because children can be unpredictable. Parking in a wrong or illegal place creates unpredictable situations, and those types of situations can put students at risk during arrival and dismissal.
Arrival and dismissal safety is everyone's responsibility. Please review the map below and listen to our staff members who are outside to assist your children when they enter and leave school daily.
Please note: Do not park along Quarterstaff Road where signs state "No Parking or Standing". Howard County Police will ticket drivers who park or drop-off/pick-up students where no parking signs are posted.
2017 PARCC Reports
Overall, Clemens Crossing Elementary School made growth in 2017 compared to the previous administration of PARCC in 2016. In ELA, the number of student who scored a 4 (met expectations) or 5 (exceeded expectations) increased by 6%. In math, the number of students who scored 4 or 5 increased by 2%.
We are very proud of all our students for their hard work. The data and information from this year's administration of PARCC will help teachers and administrators plan for the upcoming school year.
Message from the PTA
Hello Clemens Crossing Families!
I hope you are having a wonderful summer vacation! When we go back to school, the PTA helps the school feel like home by having many community-building events planned.
The PTA has several open positions for the upcoming year. New Families, Younger Families, even Older and Wiser families – don’t be shy – please volunteer! Some of the positions needing a leader are: Awards, Communications/Social Media, School Directory, Website, STEM Activities, and Talent Show. We could also use volunteers in the next few weeks to help with the Back to School Staff Appreciation Breakfast and stuffing First Day Folders.
If you are interested in helping out in any way, on any level, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. We understand that people are able to be involved at different levels and appreciate any support you can provide – big or small. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me with questions or suggestions throughout the year. I would love to hear from you!
Karen Pang, CCES PTA President
Here are a few things to know about:
Back to School Picnic
Friday, September 8 from 5:00 to 8:00 pm on the school grounds. We will have playground games for the kids. You can pack a picnic dinner or buy food from Bullhead Pit Beef and Go Melvo Snoballs. This fun event is for both families and staff.
PTA Kickoff Meeting and Dinner
Wednesday, Sep. 13th, 6:30pm
10320 Quarterstaff Road
Clemens Crossing Elementary School Media Center.
Please come and share your knowledge and ideas!
PTA Directory Information
Are Kids Staying Sharp During the Summer?
- All current CCES students will have access to their iXL account through the end of the summer. This includes fifth graders and students in kindergarten through fourth grade who are moving to new schools next year. Students returning to CCES for the 2017-18 school year will have continuous access to their iXL account without interruption. We encourage students to practice iXL Language Arts and Math throughout the summer! If you forget your iXL login information, please email
Mr. Cosentino and/or Mrs. Rausch.
- Nothing is more important than reading, and a visit to the public library is the best way to help your child find books that (s)he will like. The library has books at all reading levels, including leveled books for beginning readers. The Howard County Public Library offers a wide variety of activities during the summer too. Visit the HCPL website to learn about what they have to offer.
- When students write, they are practicing so many skills. Encourage your child to keep a summer journal and document some of the things that happen this summer.
Adding CCES's Google Calendar to Your Personal Online/Email Calendar
Did you know you can subscribe to CCES's Calendar and see events on your computer and/or smartphone? Why subscribe to the calendar? You will have all of CCES's events embedded in your calendar. If events change, the calendar will be updated immediately.
The calendar ID is: email@example.com. There are many "how to" tutorials online you can view to learn how to properly sync your calendar. It depends on your email provider, computer platform, and brand of smartphone.