Fulton Science Academy
ACCREDITED AND STEM CERTIFIED COLLEGE PREP GIFTED SCHOOL
Week of August 20th, 2018
Dear Students, Faculty, and Parents,
I hope that everyone had a wonderful weekend!
As we approach the end of August, I want to remind everyone about some important dates that we have coming up.
This week on Thursday, August 23rd, our wonderful Mustang Support Organization (MSO) will be hosting a New Parent Breakfast in the FSA Cafeteria! This is a wonderful opportunity for all of our new parents to meet each other as well as our wonderful MSO members and the school administration! We will have a brief presentation about FSAConnect, STEAM enrichment and our counseling program. New parents will be able to find out all the different ways that you can get involved at FSA as well! Hope to see you this Thursday.
This coming Friday, August 24th is the Summer Reading Reward Dress Down Day for our Elementary students who completed the optional Summer Reading Charts!
We also have our first picture day coming up on August 29th! There is detailed information below so be sure to pay close attention to that. Please note that this is individual pictures only. This picture day does not include class pictures.
I also want to wish our Varsity Volleyball Team good luck on their game today August 21! This will be a home game in the FSA Gym beginning at 5:00pm! Everyone, please join us to support our team!
We also have a promotion going on on our Sideline Store! For anyone that doesn't know, parents and students are able to buy amazing FSA apparel and accessories that you can customize to your liking! Items from this site are perfect to show off your Mustang Pride and a great option for Spirit Days at FSA!
It is a great place to get awesome FSA Apparel and Accessories!
For a limited time you are able to get 20% off of orders of $100 or more by using code: Back2School at checkout!
Code expires August 25th
The site allows the user to select the item, color, logo, and team whether it be academic or athletic; even different sayings! The possibilities are endless! There is everything from cotton shirts to Dri-Fit Nike or UA workout shirts!
CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR SIDELINE STORE
MORE TO COME:The rest of this Newsletter contains a lot of very helpful information for the coming school year so please be sure to read through the whole thing very carefully. Further down you can see information on:
- Very Important Arrival & Dismissal Information (Please read over carefully)
- Important Attendance Information & How to Report an Absence
- 2018 - 2019 Bell Schedule Reminder
- New Parent Breakfast on August 23rd
- Picture Day on August 29th
- Upcoming Curriculum Nights for all Grades
- Club Change / Request Information (Including Academic Teams and Paid Clubs)
- Professional Speakers Series
- Grandparents Breakfast on Friday, September 7th
With Warmest Regards,
quote of the week
August / September Calendar
Tuesday, August 21: Volleyball Game @ Home against ATL Jewish Academy ( Varsity Team 5:00pm)
Thursday, August 23: New Parent Breakfast (Time TBD)
Friday, August 24: Elementary Summer Reading Dress Down Day
Monday, August 27: High School Reading MAP Testing
Monday, August 27: Volleyball Game Away against ATL Girls Academy (Varsity Team, 5:30pm)
Tuesday, August 28: High School Math MAP Testing
Tuesday, August 28: Pre-K - 2nd Grade Curriculum Night (6:00pm - 7:30pm)
Tuesday, August 28: Volleyball Game AWAY @ Brandon Hall (Varsity Team, 4:30pm)
Wednesday, August 29: Picture Day for Students & Staff (ALL GRADES)
Wednesday, August 29: GA Tech Counselor Visit (2:30pm - 3:15pm)
Wednesday, August 29: 3rd - 5th Grade Curriculum Night (6:00pm - 7:30pm)
Thursday, August 30: Middle and High School Curriculum Night (6:00pm - 7:30pm)
Thursday, August 30: Volleyball Game @ Home against Holy Spirit Prep (5:00pm for Middle School Team, 6:00pm for Varsity Team)
Monday, September 3: Labor Day (NO SCHOOL)
Tuesday, September 4: Welcome Back Picnic, Pre-K - 2nd Grade (Times TBD)
Tuesday, September 4: Volleyball Game Away @ Atlanta Academy (Middle School Team, 4:00pm)
Wednesday, September 5: Welcome Back Picnic, 3rd - 5th Grade (Times TBD)
Thursday, September 6: Welcome Back Picnic, Middle School (Times TBD)
Friday, September 7: Welcome Back Picnic, High School (Times TBD)
Friday, September 7: Volleyball Game @ Home against The Cottage School (Varsity, 5:00pm)
Tuesday, September 11: Volleyball Game @ Home against Mill Springs (Varsity, 5:00pm)
Thursday, September 13: Volleyball Game Away against Cristo Rey, (Varsity, 5:30pm)
Friday, September 14: Good Conduct Dress Down Day
Monday, September 17: Volleyball Game @ Home against Atlanta International (Middle School Team, 5:00pm)
Monday, September 17: Volleyball Game @ Home against ATL Girls Academy (Varsity Team, 6:00pm)
Tuesday, September 18: Volleyball Game @ Home against Brandon Hall (Varsity Team, 5:00pm)
Thursday, September 20: Volleyball Game @ Home against Dominion, (Middle School Team, 5:00pm / Varsity Team, 6:00pm)
Monday, September 24: Volleyball Game Away against Galloway ( Middle School Team, 4:00pm)
Wednesday, September 26: Volleyball Game Away against Holy Spirit Prep (Middle School Team, 5:00pm / Varsity Team, 6:00pm)
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures (**Please read carefully**)
MORNING DROP OFF
- Pre-K through 1st grade families may drop off their children at the dismissal area near the playground between 7:00am and 7:40am. These students will be escorted to the cafeteria until they get used to the procedure. Therefore, families don't have to get out of their cars. This drop off area will be closed right at 7:40am.
- 2nd grade through high school families may drop off their children at the main school entrance as usual beginning at 7:00am.
- Families with siblings in pre-k through 1st grade may drop off their children using the upper dismissal area near the playground as well.
Important Arrival Instructions
- Please ask your child to get ready for drop off before arriving to the drop off area. As soon as the car stops, students should quickly get out of the car. We sometimes notice that students are playing games, eating breakfast, or just sitting in the car even after car stops. This creates delays during arrival time. It is important that students are ready for drop off and quickly exit their car.
- Our teachers will open the doors for students in elementary. Middle and High School students should quickly open their own car doors and come out.
- Please have your child at the right hand side of the card for quick drop off.
- Student backpacks should be kept inside the car to quicken the process. Opening the trunk to take bags causes delays with the arrival process. We kindly ask for your cooperation on this important matter.
- Parents should not get out of their car at all. Please let staff help your children. As soon as we take your children, you should be ready to move on.
- Cell phone use is not permitted during arrival and dismissal time.
- The parking area next to the gym is for staff parking only. Please do not park there to drop off your children. All parents should follow arrival procedures as it is announced.
Please let me know if you have any questions
It is vital that all families follow dismissal instructions as announced.
Please do not deviate from instructions or use short cuts.
Please read following instructions carefully:
We have a barcoded school dismissal system. Please make certain you have your barcode card ready and available when you arrive to pick up your student. In order for dismissal to run quickly and smoothly, it is important you have your barcode card everyday.
Please be reminded that no parents are allowed to park in front of the school at any time during the day including after school care time. Parents should always park designated parking areas but not in front of the school.
STUDENT PICK-UP IS NOT ALLOWED FROM FRONT OFFICE BETWEEN 2:15 and 3:40
- Please be informed that student pick-up is not allowed from front office between 2:15. and 3:40. You may only pick up your child from dismissal area during this time.
- Any families with doctor appointments or other pre-planned commitments should plan to come to the front lobby and pick up their child before 2:15.
- No students will be called from clubs as it disrupts the learning environment.
Pre-K and kindergarten families should follow the dismissal instructions provided by their teachers.
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (1st Grade through 5th Grade)
- The first dismissal for elementary is between 2:30 and 2:35. Any cars that arrive dismissal area after 2:35 will be asked to wait for 2nd dismissal. We have assigned clubs for all elementary students. All remaining students after the first dismissal will be joining their designated clubs for the day.
- The second dismissal is between 3:15 and 3:40. Elementary families that arrive after 3:40 pm may park their car in one of the designated parking areas (NOT in front of the school) to pick up their child from cafeteria using the main door by showing your dismissal card.
- Middle school parents should pick up their children either during 2nd dismissal (3:15 to 3:40) or during 3rd dismissal (4:00 to 4:10) from the dismissal area.
- Any cars that arrive dismissal area after 3:40 will be asked to wait for 3rd dismissal which begins at 4:00.
- We will block the dismissal area at 4:10 pm. Families that arrive after 4:10 pm may park their car in one of the designated parking areas (NOT in front of the school) to pick up their children from cafeteria using the main door by showing your dismissal card at any time,
- High school parents should not use the dismissal lane at all.
- You may pick-up your child at any time once their school day is over by simply parking at one of the school parking areas (not in front of the school) and texting your child's phone to ask him/her come to your car.
Those families and carpools with siblings from different school levels should follow middle school dismissal procedures to pick up their children. For example, if you have children both in middle and elementary or high school and middle school, middle school dismissal procedures will work best for you.
Please remember that Middle and High School Students have College Guidance and Enrichment from 2:40pm - 3:15pm. It is very important that students do not miss this time of their school day.
If your child will be absent please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
on the morning of the absence.
For full attendance policies please see the student handbook.
Bell Schedule Reminder
Please take a moment to look over the 2018 - 2019 Bell Schedule.
- Students in Pre-K - 5th Grade must be in class no later than 7:40am.
- Middle and High School Students should arrive to their first period class no later than 8:00am.
- Elementary After School Clubs begin at 2:40pm and end at 3:15pm.
- Middle and High School College Guidance and Enrichment begins at 2:40. This is a very important time for our older students.
- Middle and High School Clubs begin at 3:20pm and end at 4:00pm.
New Parent Breakfast on Thursday, August 23rd
We have welcomed many new faces this year and we want to get to know everyone even better! Join us for a delicious breakfast and a chance to meet our MSO members and all of our awesome new families on Thursday, August 23 in the FSA Cafeteria!
Doors open at 8:00am
Picture Day is Wednesday August 29!!
Picture Day will be on Wednesday, August 29, 2018
Parents can order pictures online before Picture Day with your Picture Day I.D. at mylifetouch.com
Fulton Science Academy
Picture Day I.D.: AG208025Q0
Parents, keep an eye out for an Informational Packet coming home in your student's backpack this week!
If you order your pictures online, there is no need to fill out the paper form.
Please make any check payable to LifeTouch.
- Pre-K through 8th Grade Students should wear their RED UNIFORM SHIRTS
- High School Students (9th - 12th) should wear their WHITE BUTTON UP UNIFORM SHIRTS
Club Change / Request Information
We have had many students and parents with club selection and change questions.
If your student would like to change their club, they will need to fill out a "Club Request / Change Form (2018 - 2019)." These forms can be found at the front desk. Please keep in mind that you will need 1 form per club that you are wanting to change, i.e. if you want to change 3 clubs, you will need to fill out 3 forms.
Also, please keep in mind that club changes will only be approved if there is room in the club and if your student meets the necessary entrance requirements if there are any.
Steps to Follow on Club Change Form:
- Get approval signatures from BOTH club teachers (the one you are leaving and the one you are joining.)
- Get an approval signature from parent
- Return the Form to the Front Desk
- Only once you have been given your new club schedule, can you begin attending your new club
Please be reminded that if you registered for outside sponsored / paid clubs, your student's club schedule will not reflect these clubs. If you registered for Chess or Private Music Clubs, your child should attend this club on their scheduled day. Academic Teams required an Application that was due on Wednesday, August 8th. If you would like to join an Academic Team, please speak with the team's head coach about getting an application.
- Elementary Clubs start at 2:40pm and end at 3:15pm
- Middle & High School Clubs start at 3:20pm and end at 4:00pm
professional Speaker Series 2018 - 2019 Kick Off!
Our next Speaker will be this Wednesday, August 22nd beginning at 2:40pm in the FSA Media Center.
Fulton Science Academy Curriculum Nights are coming up!
Curriculum Night follows a shortened version of our Bell Schedule. Please make sure to arrive on time so that you will not have to play catch-up.
This is a great night for all of our parents to attend to get a better idea of your child's school day!
(More info to come as we get closer to these dates!)
At Fulton Science Academy, we know the important role grandparents play in our student's lives. As such, we like inviting our grandparents to come and enjoy a special day here at FSA, along with their grandchildren.
The purpose of this special program is three-fold:
- To honor grandparents;
- To give grandparents an opportunity to get more information about their grandchildren’s school; and
- To help children become aware of the strength, information and guidance older people can offer.
We encourage students, parents, and grandparents to come together to celebrate!
School Medicine Policy 2018 - 2019
Aspirin, Tylenol, Neosporin, and other patient over-the-counter drugs are not available through FSAPS. Should you wish for your child to have access to these medications, you must sign an
‘Authorization to Administer Medication Form’ and leave a supply with the front office.
The medication to be administered by designated school personnel must be sent directly from the pharmacy or physician’s office or brought to school by the student’s parent/guardian. The school must receive an ‘Authorization to Administer Medication Form’ signed by the student’s physician and/or parent/guardian.
The following information must be printed clearly on the medication container:
Name of the medication
Time the medication must be taken.
Bring in only the amount of medication that is needed for a school day. In the case of prolonged need, send in the amount for a clearly specified period. Written authorization to dispense medications shall be limited to two weeks unless otherwise prescribed by a physician. Medication shall only be dispensed out of its original container, which must be labeled with the child’s name. Extra medication will not be sent home with a student. All medication will be kept in a secure location in the clinic and/or front office.
steam day 2018
Spring 2018 STEAM Expo
last blast 2018
aftercare hours reminder
Parents, please be reminded that After - School Care is provided every day from 4:30 pm to 6:00 pm for a fee of $15.00 per day or $200.00 for the month. We ask that parents pick up any remaining students by 6:00 pm, and no later, as the school closes at 6:00pm. Sometimes our Academic Teams will stay later, but these students are not considered to be in After-Care. There are also sometimes outside organizations that use our facility for sports events, so it may look like there are still plenty of people here, but these more often than not, do not include aftercare students. Thank you for your understanding.
Home Visits - A Fun Way to meet your teachers!
Home visits are a casual way for your child to spend time with his/her teacher in the comfort of their home. Teachers enjoy having a chance to see children in this comfortable environment, doing whatever makes them most happy and spend time with children and their parents outside of a regular school day.
Simply email email@example.com with some suggested dates/times, as well as your students' name(s) and homeroom assignments. Ms. Unal will be in touch to confirm final details.
FSAConnect mobile App
We are happy to inform you that now you can check fsaconnect by mobile app.
Here is how you can access the app:
ITunes App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/radix-mobile/id1159005166?mt=8
Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.radix.radixmobile
The links can also be found at the bottom of your connect page by the other social media links.
A pop-up banner will appear on top of the screen when users access the school connect on their mobile devices.
Site link: https://fsaconnect.fultonscienceacademy.org
Username: fsaconnect username
Password: fsaconnect password
PLEASE SIGN UP FOR REMIND, OUR SCHOOL NOTIFICATION APPlication
JOIN FSAPS REMIND HERE: https://www.remind.com/join/fsaps
We have created a remind account to keep our community informed and up-to-date with what is happening at our school.
By joining "FSAPS remind," you will receive messages via push notifications, SMS, or e-mail. We recommend SMS option for our families and students.
We will use this tool as an addition to other communication portals we use at our school to keep our families apprised of what's happening at Fulton Science Academy. Thank you.
FSA SOCIAL MEDIA
Please connect with us online and grow our social media following!
FSA is proud to be building a strong social media presence and we encourage you to follow us using one or more of the following links:
4- FSA LINKEDIN
So many of you have LinkedIn accounts. To get news about our school on LinkedIn, simply follow our schools’s LinkedIn page.