We Are Together Tamanend!
March 17, 2014
Thoroughly Modern Millie - Thoroughly Awesome!
C-SPAN Student Documentary Honorable Mention
By Mr. Blair
9th Grader Emily C. was recognized by C-SPAN for her student created documentary about Transportation in America. Competing against thousands of other student submissions from around the nation, Emily earned honorable mention for her film and received a cash prize and national recognition for her work. Emily’s award winning film can be viewed here. Congratulations, Emily, for all your accolades and accomplishments!
Pictured below are Emily and Mr. Blair with the C-SPAN webpage regarding her video in the background.
February's Boomerang Honoree
Eric is always the first student to lend a hand. He is a true gentleman in all senses of the word. He works well with other students and is a great participant in class. One of the best examples of Eric’s caring is through his participation in our Friends group. Eric always is friendly and has a smile on his face for everyone. In class he is attentive, helpful, and is the first to volunteer as someone's partner if they are having trouble finding someone to work with. Eric talks to everyone and makes other people feel comfortable. He is a gifted athlete and excellent student.
Congratulations, Eric, for your recognition as a Caring young person. Thank you for being a friend to all, and for modeling Caring to everyone around you!
Pictured above: Mrs. Leatherbarrow, Eric, and his mom.
This Month's Boomerang Asset from C B Cares
March's Boomerang Asset is #38 Self Esteem: Young person demonstrates a confidence that promotes positive behaviors and relationships. S/he is proud to be the person that they are, and they serve as a role model to others because of their healthy self-confidence.
Please take a moment to complete the online nomination form for a Tamanend student who demonstrates Self Esteem. Nominations are due March 21.
Tamanend Middle School PSSA Testing Dates:
- Math & Reading Tests - March 25-April 1
- Math & Reading Tests - March 25-April 1
- Writing Tests - April 8-10
- Science Tests - April 29-30
The best way to prepare for test days (and all school days) is for students to get a good night's sleep, eat a healthy breakfast, bring a bottle of water and a snack to school. Students should bring two #2 pencils and a calculator for the math tests. Students should not bring their phone or any other personal electronic devices to school on testing days.
Tamanend Middle School Parent Council
Thursday, March 20th, 9am
1492 Stuckert Road
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School.
Freshman Dance Planning Meeting
Thursday, March 20th, 7pm
1492 Stuckert Rd
· Early Dismissal Day moved from 4/3 to Friday, 4/4, K-am attending
· End of Marking Period moved to 4/10; Report Card Distribution shifts to 4/23.
· 4/17 Professional Development Day converted to: K-6 Early Dismissal Day and Conferences with K-am attending, Grades 7-12 Full Day
· Tamanend Freshman Day & Dance moved to 6/13.
· Last Day of School and High School Graduation moved to 6/20
· June 20th is an Early Dismissal Day with K-am attending.
Please CLICK HERE for the updated one-page calendar.
FRESHMAN DAY & DANCE Moved to June 13th
Help Tamanend While You Shop or Recycle
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop and recycle:
- If you shop at Target and have a Target Red Card, you can register your card for Target's Take Charge of Education program so that Tamanend receives a percentage of your spending.
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card. Note, each year you need to reselect Tamanend so that your shopping benefites TMS.
- Use this link to connect to Amazon to shop and Tamanend can earn as much as 15% of what you purchase!
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS; or, shop at the Box Top Market Place where you will find vendors such as Best Buy, KMart, Justice and more.
- If you like to shop online, check out the eScrip Online Mall. When you sign up for an account, selecting Tamanend earns money for our school.
- When you recycle your paper using our Abitibi bin located at the back of our Main Parking Lot, you have not only helped the environment, you help TMS, too.
Notes from Previous Tamanend Connections:
Click here for up-to-date calendar information about both the 2013-14 and the 2014-15 school years.
- There is a Parent Portal app for your smartphone. Click here for more information.
- Click here to view previous Tamanend Connections from 2013-2014.
- For information about Tamanend's 2013-2014 Yearbook, click here.
- We frequently conduct safety drills here at Tamanend Middle School to ensure that our students are prepared for various types of emergencies. It is important that your student dresses appropriately for weather, including shoe choices.
- Because the Parent Portal allows parents/guardians to check student progress on a regular basis, we will no longer print and send home interim progress reports. We encourage all parents/guardians to log in and check the Parent Portal on a weekly basis. Parents have access to current grades, assignments, attendance, and more.
- Students may not arrive to school in the morning until 7:10 AM. That is when staff members are available to supervise students.
- Parent Volunteers Needed! Please sign up using our online form. Code word = tms.
- Click here to learn about CBSD efforts against bullying and for resources helpful to parents on this important subject and more.
- We need parents, students and staff for our Wellness Committee. If you are interested in helping with a fitness program after school, starting a vegetable garden in our courtyard, or have some other ideas to help our students and staff "go green" and stay fit, please contact Mrs. Mary McDonald, Mrs. Lauren Myrtetus and Ms. Brenda Scheffey about becoming involved in our Wellness Committee.
- To receive text alerts from CBSD, click here.