BMS Library Media Center
Third Quarter News 2012-2013
Quick Library Stats for 01/18/13 through 03/27/13
- 2,172 library items checked out
- 867 individual student visits
- 21 class visits to the library
Classroom Teacher & School Librarian Collaborations
- Mr. Bloodworth- Taught 8th grade Advanced Pre-Algebra students how to create videos about math concepts using Windows Movie Maker
- Mrs. Brown & Mrs. Pace- 7th grade Language Arts students participated in a literary cafe about myths, legends & fairy tales in which students practiced a variety of literacy skills.
- Mrs. Schuldes & Mrs. Eisele- 7th grade Science students researched and created public service videos about genetic disorders.
- Mrs. Myllykangas- 6th grade Language Arts students learned how to access e-books in our digital collection.
- Mrs. Whisenant- 8th grade Language Arts students created a library display in the media center advertising books with brochures they created.
- Mrs. Brown & Mrs. Pace- 7th grade Language Arts students learned about the various steps in the research process and tools available for each step.
- Mrs. Dissinger- 8th grade Science students used the resources available in the media center to research minerals.
Busy nine weeks in the media center..........
Melody, the main character in "Out of My Mind" has cerebral palsy. By reading this book as a whole school in one day, our teachers & students engaged in meaningful conversations that set the stage for the various Disability Awareness activities held throughout the month by our Special Education department. We are currently working on next year's selection in order to continue improving this wonderful collaborative project.
During the month of March, we held several different fundraisers. We held a successful book fair in the media center. Many thank you's to our everyone that shopped at the fair and to our wonderful PTO for hosting Donuts for Dads during this time. We also sold heart shaped sunglasses and stovepipe hats. The funds raised will go towards purchasing materials and resources for our library program.
Sip and See with teachers in the media center!
Introducing the 2013-2014 South Carolina Junior Book Award Nominee List
- SCJBA 20 book reading challenge winner will be announced.
- Richland 2 Reading Competition will be held.
- Sixth grade students that participated in the Six Flags Read to Succeed program will receive their ticket.
- Students that returned a completed Blowfish Reading Program Bookmark will receive free tickets to the June 6th Blowfish Game.
- Book Swap
Blythewood Middle School Media Center
Mrs. Turner, Media Assistant