( Ilya Ilich Mechnikov )
- Born May 16, 1845 near Kharkov, Ukraine, Russian Empire (modern day Kharkiv, Ukraine.) Died July 16, 1916 in Paris, France at 71 years old.
- Began college at 17 years old
- Received bachelor's degree in natural sciences from University of Kharkov in 1864
- University of Giessen to study marine biology
- Doctoral degree at University of St. Petersburg in 1868
- Professor of zoology and comparative anatomy at University of Odessa from 1870-1882
- Discovery of Phagocytes and Phagocytosis
- Contributed to many immune system discoveries
- Metchkinoff's Cellular Theory of Immunity: Based off of the discovery that in most animals-- including humans-- white blood cells are the first line of defense against acute infections.
"Élie Metchnikoff." The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica. Web. 11 Jan. 2016. <http://www.britannica.com/biography/Elie-Metchnikoff>.
"Elie Metchnikoff." Jewish Virtual Library. American-Israeli Cooperative Enterprise, n.d. Web. 10 Jan. 2016. <https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/Metchnikoff.html>.
Elie Metchnikoff. N.d. Wikipedia, n.p.
Phagocytosis.jpg. N.d. Spot.pcc.edu, n.p.
"Metchnikoff, Elie." Complete Dictionary of Scientific Biography. 2008, "Metchnikoff, Élie (1845-1916)." World of Microbiology;Immunology. 2003, "Élie Metchnikoff." Encyclopedia of World Biography. 2004, and "Metchnikoff, Élie." The Columbia Encyclopedia, 6th Ed.. 2015. "Metchnikoff, Elie." Encyclopedia.com. HighBeam Research, 01 Jan. 2008. Web. 13 Jan. 2016. <http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Elie_Metchnikoff.aspx>.