Week of December 5, 2022
Greetings Kingsford Family!
Welcome to a new week of learning. This month brings so much joy and excitement for us all. This week we will celebrate students, prekindergarten-fifth grade with various awards. We are making every effort to send out invitations to students who will receive an award so that parents can join us. We know that all of our students are capable of achieving at high levels. Students who are not receiving an award for their first quarter performance should put forth a little more effort on assignments, assessments, and overall class participation to improve their academic performance. Also encourage students to ask questions when necessary.
We are excited about parents joining us as we open our doors for our in-person First Quarter Awards Ceremonies this week. All ceremonies will begin promptly at 8:30 am. We are placing a 2 guests limit per student to ensure families are able to celebrate their student's success safely. If planning to attend, please enter the building through the front door and stop by the main office prior to joining us in the cafeteria. We are unable to share a live-streaming virtual option with our families at this time, however, we will attempt to record the ceremonies and share the recordings with our school community.
Please note, parking can be a challenge when we have school events. Additional parking is available in the rear of the building near the tennis courts.
Wishing all a phenomenal week. Be safe, be well!
This Week at Kingsford ES...
Welcome to Kingsford Elementary School! This week is a five-day week!
- Ensure prekindergarten and kindergarten bus riders wear their safety vest to school every day.
- Submit lunch applications (https://www.myschoolapps.com/Application). If approval for free or reduced meals has not been granted your student needs lunch money. Lunch is $2.75 each day.
- Early dismissal ENDS at 1:15 pm.
Monday, December 5th
- First Quarter Awards Ceremony- 2nd & 3rd grades @ 8:30 am in the cafeteria.
4th Grade CogAt Testing
Tuesday, December 6th
- First Quarter Awards Ceremony- 4th & 5th grades @ 8:30 am in the cafeteria.
- December's PTA Meeting hosted by Mr. Chris Smith, PTA President. This meeting will be held virtually at 6:00 pm. The link is forthcoming.
Wednesday, December 7th
- First Quarter Awards Ceremony- Kindergarten @ 8:30 am in the cafeteria.
Thursday, December 8th
- First Quarter Awards Ceremony- 1st grade @ 8:30 am in the cafeteria.
4th Grade CogAt Testing
Friday, December 9th
- First Quarter Awards Ceremony- Prekindergaten @ 8:30 am in the cafeteria.
4th Grade CogAt Testing
It's Friday! Check your child's progress in SchoolMAX.
Learning in Action at Kingsford ES
Guilty or Not Guilty?
Today we went to court. We had to decide if the wolf was guilty or innocent. The jury had to listen to the evidence and then vote. We presented our arguments and we tried to persuade the jury so we could get votes. Guilty won the votes. It was fun. We did all of this to put the big bad wolf on trial.
Winter Spirit Week
- Monday, December 19th - Dress in your favorite holiday/winter color(s). Be mindful of the clothes chosen to wear today. Clothing must be appropriate for school. No leggings, short skirts/shorts, spaghetti straps, see-through clothing, crocs, or slides.
- Tuesday, December 20th - Ugly Sweater Day with school-appropriate bottoms.
- Wednesday, December 21st - Pajama Day (No slippers or crocs. Students must wear shoes with their entire foot enclosed.)
- Thursday, December 22nd - Crazy Fun Holiday Socks and Hat Day with school-appropriate bottoms.
Kingsford PTA News
Call to Action - Volunteer and Donation Opportunities!
Scholastic Book Fair (Dec. 12th - 16th) - https://signup.com/go/rDyZdum
2-3 Volunteers are needed each day to work the Book Fair and assist students in their selections. Volunteers will need to have completed PGCPS volunteer clearance.
Gift of Time & Donation for Student Fun! (Dec. 22nd) - https://signup.com/go/xtSJMSi
10-15 volunteers and donations are needed. Volunteers will assist admin and help our students participate in fun-filled activities in the gym, cafeteria and media center while the teachers will be given time to finish grading and tidying up their classrooms before winter break. Please donate so our students can have a great time! Volunteers will need to have completed PGCPS volunteer clearance.
Stock The Teachers' Lounge! (Every Month) - https://signup.com/go/uyFMRTE
As part of the PTA's commitment to teacher appreciation, we’d like to help stock the teachers’ lounge with snacks, drinks, and treats every month! Please sign up for whatever you’re able to contribute.
For detailed information on Volunteer and Donation opportunities visit:
Free Virtual Literacy Tutoring: BookNook
Free Math Tutoring
To learn more about the application process click on the link below:
- ENGLISH: PGCPS Volunteer Application and Approval Process
- SPANISH: PGCPS Volunteer Application and Approval Process
- FRENCH: PGCPS Volunteer Application and Approval Process
Visit www.pgcps.org/volunteer for more information on becoming a volunteer and to access the application.
DAILY HEALTH CHECK
All families are asked to monitor students daily to ensure they are well enough to attend school. Though COVID numbers have decreased we want to ensure we keep our community safe. Please keep your child at home if he/she is not feeling well and contact your child's teacher. Upon their return please send in a handwritten note (not through Class Dojo) or a doctor's excuse.
You should not send your child to school if he or she has any of the following symptoms:
Fever or chills
Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Muscle or body aches
New loss of taste or smell
Congestion or runny nose
Nausea or vomiting
Need School Supplies?
Contact our professional school counselor Ms. Twewaa at email@example.com if you have a student in need of school supplies. We have received donations from our community partners who are ready to support our families.
SCHOOL & OFFICE HOURS
Administration and office staff can be reached via email Monday-Friday. Please allow 24-48 hours for a response. While Class Dojo is available, email is the best way to connect with the administration.
Principal - Mrs. Jones - firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Principal - Mrs. Price - email@example.com
Principal's Secretary - Mrs. Williams - firstname.lastname@example.org
Need assistance, we can help-
- ESOL- Ms. Bedessem - email@example.com
- Lunch Accounts & Balances - Ms. Lopez - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Math or Technology- Mr. Flores - email@example.com
- Reading/TAG - Mrs. Mullennix - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Testing - Ms. Redmond - email@example.com
- Special Education - Ms. Marshall - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social/Emotional/Behavioral Concerns - Ms. Twewaa - email@example.com
- Registration/Withdrawal - Ms. Williams - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Transportation - Ms. Day - email@example.com
- COVID related questions - Nurse Neal - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alphabest Before & AfterCare - Mr. Hunter -
December 12 - School Picture Day
December 12-16 - Scholastic Book Fair
December 16 - Progress Reports Released to Families (Online only)
December 19-22 - Winter Spirit Week
December 23, 26-30 - Winter Break & Christmas – Schools and Offices Closed
January 2 - New Year’s Day – Schools and Offices Closed
January 16 - Martin Luther King Jr. Day – Schools and Offices Closed
January 24 - End of Second Quarter (45 days)
January 25 - Professional Day for Teachers – 1/2 Day for Students with Asynchronous Learning
LINKS TO PREVIOUS NEWSLETTERS
- Knights News Week of November 14, 2022
- Knights News Week of October 31, 2022
- Knights News Week of October 24, 2022
- Knights News Week of October 10, 2022
- Knights News Week of September 26, 2022
- Knights News Week of September 12, 2022
- Knights News Week of September 5, 2022
- Knights News - Week of August 29, 2022
- Knights New - Week of August 17, 2022
- Knights News - Week of August 5, 2022