Athens Drive Band Program
The Pride of the Drive - Rising Freshman Edition, March 2023
Greetings Future Jaguars!
Congratulations. In just a few short months, you will begin your high school career. The staff, students, and boosters of the Athens Drive Band Program welcome you to the Drive! With high school registration happening now, we invite you to learn more about our award-winning program and hope you will consider being a part of our band family. Getting started is easy...
- Register for a class band elective.
- Sign up to receive emails from the band at the link below.
- Follow the band on Instagram @athensdrivebands.
- Join Marching Band in May & attend band camp at NC Wesleyan this summer. You don't have to do class band to march and you'll make 100+ friends before school even starts!
A message from our Director
Be a Part of the Band!
The only prerequisites are a great attitude and a willingness to work hard!
Things in the band world start happening before the new school year starts! Enter your information to receive emails regarding important upcoming events, including marching band registration!
WHEN and HOW do I get involved in band?
MARCHING BAND registration starts this May! The marching band has 100-150 members each season - more than any other single activity at Athens. Students interested in learning more should plan to attend our Marching Band Freshmen Orientation on May 15th or 16th from 6:30-8:30pm in the band room. Students interested in percussion or color guard are invited to attend both orientation dates plus a few additional evenings in May for skills assessment. No student is turned away, but assessments help to determine placement. The official registration form will be released on our website in early May.
COLOR GUARD is part of our marching band. This team of athletic dancers/artists perform choreographed routines using equipment like flags and rifles. Students with dance, gymnastics or cheer backgrounds are a natural fit for color guard and are invited to attend our Marching Band Freshmen Orientation in May. Skills assessments will be held at that time.
WINTER GUARD/PERCUSSION ENSEMBLES & JAZZ BAND meet during second semester and registration for these activities will be offered in late fall/early winter during the school year.
PLEASE EMAIL QUESTIONS to email@example.com.
You'll find everything you need to know about Athens Drive Band - detailed info on all activities, booster program, fundraising opportunities, calendar and more!
MUSIC ENSURES LIFE-LONG SUCCESS!
- offers a creative outlet
- relieves stress/anxiety
- builds confidence
- promotes self discipline, team work, responsibility
- provides mutual support
- facilitates learning in other subjects
- improves critical thinking
- enhances post high school opportunities
- improves reading skills, pattern recognition, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions about Band
- Can I participate in the STEM/Health Sciences Academy and still be in band? YES!
- Can I participate in sports and be in band? YES! Members of our class bands and extra-curricular ensembles participate in a variety of athletic activities - basketball, swimming, track, soccer, softball, lacrosse, tennis and more.
- Will being in class band hurt my GPA? NO! Upper level band classes (Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble) are weighted honors classes. Did you know that 70% of college admissions officers state that high school credit and achievement in the arts are significant considerations for admissions?
- When is marching band season? The season starts with band camp in mid-July and runs through mid December. During this time, students perform at football games, travel to marching competitions, and participate in local holiday parades.
- Will marching band take too much time away from studies in high school? Marching band does practice after school three afternoons each week and has scheduled performances at football games and competitions on some weekends. Students who participate still have plenty of time for school work, family, and other sports and activities. Having a full schedule helps students stay organized and productive!
- Do I have to pay to participate? There is a "fair share obligation" fee for participating in band activities. The band booster club offers a variety of fundraising and volunteer opportunities, as well as financial aid, to assist in fulfilling that obligation. No committed student is ever turned away from this program.
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES - You're Invited!
Mar 28 Winter Exhibition 5:30pm featuring Guard & Percussion (gymnasium)
May 15-16 Marching Band Orientation for woodwind & brass 6:30-8:30pm (attend one day)
May 15-16 plus two additional dates TBD Marching Band Orientation for percussion & color guard 6:30-8:30pm (attend all days)
May 25 Spring Concert 7pm (auditorium)
Jun 2 Marching Band Signing Party
Jul 24-27 Marching Band Pre-camp (band room)
Jul 30-Aug 4 Marching Band Camp (NC Wesleyan College)