Sarah's bonus project
Why are volcanoes so bad ?
When a volcano erupts there could be lava flows, poisonous gasses, flying rocks, and mud flows. Every one knows lava is hot, but do you know that lava can reach up to 2,000 degrees in Fahrenheit? Luckily, lava usually moves very slow. Since it is so extremely hot it makes a great fire hazard. When the lava flows down the mountain it burns down everything in its path - all of the plants, trees, and villages turn to ashes. Another thing that comes out of a volcano is poisonous gasses. Lots of different gasses come out of a volcano, but the main ones are water vapour, carbon dioxide, and sulfur dioxide. Most of you already know what water vapour and carbon dioxide is, but not many of you know what sulphur dioxide is. Sulphur is a very toxic gas that can cause death. If you inhale this gas then you will experience shortness of breath, hard coughing, breathing difficulties, and tightness in the chest. Volcanoes sometimes shoot rocks out of their crater. The official name of these large rocks are bombs. The bombs are formed when the lava that has been shot into the air solidifies before it hits the ground. Volcanic bombs can be a large hazard to people near the eruption zone, because they are unpredictable, and can be very large. One more thing that could happen at an eruption is mud flows. Mud flows happen when the snow on the volcano melts rapidly and picks up all the dirt when it is coming down the mountain. Mud flows are usually the first thing to happen. They can come with such force that they can uproot the trees that get caught in their path. As you can see an active volcano is a very extreme environment where lava flows, poisonous gases are let loose, volcanic bombs fly, and mudslides flatten the land.
- Volcanoes are named after the Roman god of fire, Vulcan.
- There are volcanoes on other planets.
- Volcanoes can shot ash 17 miles high.
- Lava under the earth is called magma. It is called lava after it comes up.
- The volcano on Mars, Olympus Mons is the biggest volcano in the solar system.
- The worlds smallest volcano is called Taal. It is found in the Philippines and is only 406 meters high.
- There are volcanoes on Mars, Venus, and Lo, Jupiter's smallest moon.