Ms. Long's Class
Adventures in Room 14
Our Classroom News
- We had a great turnout for our Grandparents Day last Monday. The students really loved having visitors and showing off all they know.
- September 19 Homework Folders come home.
- September 20 students need to wear black and gold for Running Man challenge Video. Second grade will be part of the district's video.
- September 23 homework folders are turned in to be checked.
- September 29th We are having an Second Grade Parent Night from 6 to 7pm. All parents and guardians are invited to learn more about second grade expectations, common core standards and Leader In Me leadership opportunities.
- Fall Break October 3-7
Our class mission statement- Leaders know the way, Leaders go the way and Leaders show the way.
Partners Asking Each Other Questions About A Book
Reading and Language
Last week, we really focused on the questions readers ask before, during and after reading.
We learned that it is really important to our understanding of the text to ask questions because it makes our brain think about the text as we read. In one lesson, we learned how to "stop and jot" which means we stop and write down our questions and thinking as we are reading.
You can further this strategy at home by letting your child "stop and jot" while they are reading for their homework. You can also ask your child questions about their reading to check their understanding.
We took a mid-unit assessment last Friday that had a short passage with 6 questions. If your child did well on this assessment, they are able to understand what they are reading.
If your child missed several questions they did not understand what they were reading and they will need much more practice with this skill both at school and at home.
Check you child's folder for this test and discuss it with them.
- Last week we started Module 2-Measurement.
- On Monday and Tuesday we took the pre-assessment. We spent the rest of the week using centimeter cubes to measure things. We learned to measure from edge to edge and leave no gaps or overlaps.
- This week we are learning how to use rulers and standard units of measurement.
- Give your child these tools at home and have them show you their skills!
8:00- School Starts
8:10-9:10 Reading Workshop
9:10-10:20 Reading Interventions and Small Group Instruction
10:20-11:00 Word Work/ Language Arts
11:50-12:45 Enrichment Classes
1:15-2:00 Writing Workshop
2:00-2:50 Math Workshop
Enrichment Classes Rotation Schedule
9/19 Monday- Music
9/20 Tuesday- Gym- Music
9/21 Wednesday- Gym- Music
9/22 Thursday- Art
9/23 Friday- Art
Classes will rotate every 5 school days