Oakview's Latest News, Events, Activities, & Opportunities
Oakview recently recognized four outstanding teachers for their accomplishments in the classroom!
- A huge congratulations goes to Oakview's STEM lab teacher, Charnley DeMeritt on her election as our 2019-2020 Teacher of the Year! Selected by our staff, Mrs. DeMeritt will represent Oakview next year at the annual awards banquet. Her dedication to bringing STEM alive through hands-on, high-interest activities to our students made her an easy choice as our Teacher of the Year!
- First grade teacher, Mrs. Ellen Hearn, was recently selected as Oakview's reading teacher of the year. Mrs. Hearn works diligently to help her students become life-long readers through the use of small group work and lots and lots of books! We appreciate her efforts to create amazing readers.
- As Oakview's math teacher of the year, fourth grade teacher, Ms. Liz Teeple, implements math workshop in her classroom. This differentiated approach to teaching math allows all of her students to be successful and helps each one master math concepts!
- Coach Jen Miller wrote a grant proposal from Blue Cross Blue Shield. Oakview will receive $6,000 to help fund the transformation of our school's nature trail into a national demonstration site Fitness Trail! Coach Miller's continuous efforts to keep our staff, students, and families healthy is appreciated by everyone.
Phillip Reavis, Ph.D
Yearbooks for Sale!
Last Day to Purchase is February 1st! No additional yearbooks will be available for purchase after this date.
Calling all Scientists!
- 3rd grade-individual projects
- 4th grade- individual or group projects
- 5th grade-- individual or group projects
(Groups may contain 2-4 members from the same grade level.)
Excited?!? Find more information here!
Read Across America Bookmark Contest!
All artwork must be 100% original (no clipart, collages, digital art, or copying others). It can be in color or black & white.
The winning bookmark will be printed and distributed to all of our students. Thank you for promoting healthy reading habits!
IMPORTANT--Your Lowe's Foods Card needs to be relinked!
Business Partners needed for STEM Night
Oakview’s STEM Breakout Night will be Thursday, March 7, 2019, and we need your help! We are looking for businesses who are in related science/technology/engineering/math fields in our community! With such a growing interest in STEM careers, Oakview’s STEM Night is an optimal time to share what these local companies do with our families. If you know of a STEM business or are connected to one, here are three different ways businesses could partner with us that night:
Set up a small demonstration/activity for parents/students to stop by and visit to learn more about your connection to the STEM field
Provide us with materials and/or a display related to your company’s STEM connections to display in our cafeteria for you.
Donate an estimation jar filled with an item (or items) of your choice, such as candy or small prizes, to our estimation station for students to test their math skills. Closest estimate wins the jar which would be labeled with your business name or logo.
Week of January 27
- Wednesday, January 30: NAEP testing for select 4th graders
- Friday, February 1: 1st Grade 100th Day of School Celebration
4K Half day
Last Day of Spring Box Tops contest!
Last Day to Purchase Yearbook!
Week of February 3
- Thursday, February 7: PTA Board Meeting @ 9:00 a.m.
- Friday, February 8: ARMES @ Fine Arts Center program application window opens
Oakview's Lunch Menu can be found here
Children's Book Drive
This year's Book Drive recipient is YouthBASE. YouthBASE is a unique Afterschool and Summer program designed to equip K5-2nd grade children with the skills and abilities to overcome Behavioral, Academic, Social and Emotional difficulties so they may succeed at school, home, and in the community.
Box Tops Spring Contest!
It's that time again! The Box Tops for Education Spring Contest has begun and will run until Friday, February 1. In order to be counted for the class contest, please return all of your collected Box Tops to your child's class or to the dropbox in the school lobby by the deadline!
A bonus prize will be awarded to the first class to turn in 250 Box Tops!
1. Please make sure that you have not included any expired Box Tops (we don't get credit for expired ones)
2. Make sure to cut put each Box Top on the black outline (we have to cut off all excess packaging in order for them to be counted)
3. Don't forget to include your child's teacher name & grade level on the baggie/envelope, that way their class will receive credit. Prizes will be awarded to the 3 classes with the highest total number of Box Tops!
PTA receives 10 cents for every Box Top sent in! This adds up in a big way--thank you for your support of our students and staff!
2019-2020 PTA Positions Available
Each year, the PTA Nominating Committee works diligently to fill our PTA Board with hard-working and dedicated parents! And we would love to get everyone in the school plugged in somewhere to serve! So whether you have just a few minutes each month or an open schedule, please consider serving on the 2019-2020 PTA Board. Click here to tell us what your talents and interests are!
Spirit Night @ Chick-fil-A
Spirit Night @ Marble Slab Creamery