Thurmont Primary School News
Back to School - August 2020
It's hard to believe summer is winding down and it is time to start another school year. We know this year will be unlike any other and while our "Courage of a Cougar" means we embrace possibilities and overcome challenges we also know these are stressful times. Our first and foremost priority in the coming weeks will be to build strong classroom communities where students look forward to live online learning sessions and feel connected to their classmates, teachers and school!
Please check your mail for a letter coming from school. The mailing includes:
- Teacher assignments and opening information
- Google Meeting Class Codes
- General student schedule
- Essential school supply list for at home learning
- Schoology information letter and student specific access code
- Schoology support session information
As we work together to navigate these unprecedented times, we welcome the opportunity to bring love and learning to your children at home. We are here to support you throughout virtual learning and recognize that a strong partnership will ensure each and every child is successful this year!
Yours in education,
We took great care to review all feedback provided and create school specific schedules which honored the priorities identified by students, families and staff. We know individual family schedules will differ and flexibility is critical to ensuring all students can successful engage in virtual learning.
With this in mind, we have planned for:
- all virtual live teaching to occur daily before lunch
- all sessions will be recorded so they can be viewed/accessed at a later time if/when needed
- student work time is built in before lunch so there is no expectation for work beyond the typical school day
- student work time can be flexible and fit into each individual family’s schedule at the time(s) which is most convenient
- afterschool and weekend opportunities will be available for students to connect with staff members if/when needed
In the mailing sent this week, general student schedules were included for your child's grade level. The schedules are also linked below.
- PK Virtual Student Schedule
- K Virtual Student Schedule
- 1st Grade Virtual Student Schedule
- 2nd Grade Virtual Student Schedule
Classroom teachers will be sharing more specific and individualized weekly schedules of assignments to help you plan for your child's learning at home.
Virtual Meet the Teacher Sessions
During the session your child's teacher will review...
- virtual schedule
- accessing Schoology
- participating in Google Meet live learning sessions
- learning expectations
Your child's teacher will be emailing a link to join the Google Meet session.
Please know, if you are unable to join the live session it will be recorded and posted in Schoology for you to view at a later time.
Drive Thru Materials Pickup
Each child will receive a bag with instructional materials to support virtual learning at home. On Thursday, August 27th we will be handing out bags during the following times for assigned grade levels.
- PK - bus loop (directly in front of the main entrance)
- K - car rider loop (on the front end of the building)
- 1st grade - car rider loop (on the front end of the building)
- 2nd grade - bus loop (directly in front of the main entrance)
Included in their bag will be 2 special items...
- "Courage of a Cougar" bracelet - this is to remind us that we are all part of a special group and that anytime we need to feel the "Courage of a Cougar" within us all we have to do is look down
- TPS 1st Day of School Picture Card - this is to use to take a picture of your child learning at home on the first day of school. Pictures can then be shared on Schoology and posted to Twitter (@MBaiseyFCPS or @ThurmontPrimary).
Please stop by, and bring your child, to pick up these items so they can begin the year with everything needed to grow their brain, heart and body power!
Extended hours are available by individual appointment. Please contact the front office to make arrangements.
Schoology Support Sessions
Optional training sessions are being offered to support families in preparing for virtual learning. Our TPS staff are ready to help guide you through navigating the Schoology platform and answer any questions. Both virtual and in person sessions are available on a drop in basis.
Virtual sessions will be held on Tuesday, August 25th from 8:30-11:30am, Thursday, August 27th from 10:00-12:00pm and Thursday, August 27th from 5:30-6:30pm through Google Meet.
- Via computer: Copy/paste the link into your web browser: meet.google.com/zmq-bzuy-rby
- Via phone: Dial-in: (US) +1 636-707-2413 PIN: 114 834 985#
In person sessions will be held on Monday, August 24th and Wednesday, August 26th from 1:00-3:00pm outside on the sidewalk along the car rider loop. Desks will be set up 6 feet apart to ensure social distancing is in place. Please be sure to wear a mask if you are coming for the in person session.
Visit https://www.fcps.org/student-services/schoology for additional Schoology information, tutorials and resources.
Monday, August 31st - First Day of Virtual Learning in FCPS
- PK- Virtual Home Visits/Family Conferences
- K - Staggered Start Group #1
Tuesday, September 1st
- PK - Virtual Home Visits/Family Conferences
- K - Staggered Start Group #2
Wednesday, September 2nd
- PK - Staggered Start Group #1
- K - Staggered Start Group #3
Thursday, September 3rd
- PK - Staggered Start Group# 2
- K - ALL Students
Friday, September 4th
- PK - ALL Students
Monday, September 7th - School Closed for Labor Day - No Virtual Learning