The Scientific Revolution
By: Katie McKinney & Cameron Duhon
- Galileo Galilei: made the first systematic studies of uniformly accelerated motion and improved astronomical observations
- Edmond Halley: discovered the proper motion of stars and the periodicity of comets
- Johannes Kepler: discovered three major laws of planetary motion
Isaac Newton's Work
- Combined mathematics with mechanics of physical observation
- Established a coherent system of verifiable predictions in his Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica
- He applied algebra to geometry, which synthesized calculus and applied it to scientific problems
- The integration of algebraic and geometric thinking precipitated a scientific and mathematical revolution
"Age of Enlightenment." - New World Encyclopedia. Web. 04 Feb. 2016.
"Johannes Kepler | German Astronomer." Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Encyclopedia Britannica. Web. 04 Feb. 2016.
"Robert Hooke | British Scientist." Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Encyclopedia Britannica. Web. 04 Feb. 2016.