Type 2 diabetes
Definition for type 2 diabetes
More about type 2 diabetes
- It is very common, more than 3 million cases in the United States per year.
-It can last for years or be lifelong.
Symptoms of type 2 diabetes
• Frequent urination
• Blurred vision
- Some cases there may be no symptoms.
Treatments for type 2 diabetes
• Insulin therapy
- Other treatments include
• Self-treatment ( such as a diabetes pump to prick your finger for blood to test your blood levels, to see if you need more sugar or not ).
Specialists you can see for type 2 diabetes
Endocrinologist- Metabolic/ Hormone disorders
Ophthalmologist- Eye diseases
Foods to stay away from if you have type 2 diabetes
• Sugary foods- They can cause a sharp spike in blood sugar levels and can lead to weight problems. Eat fruits such as pears, berries, etc.
• Fruit juice- Avoid all juices, including 100% fruit juice. They contain more nutrition than soda. 0 calorie natural flavored seltzer with a spritz of lemon or lime will do just fine!
• Dried fruit- It'll send your blood sugar levels soaring. Stick with fresh fruits instead.
• White rice, bread, flour- These "white" carbs can act alot like sugar once digested, and can interfere with your glucose levels. Replace with brown or wild rice, oatmeal, whole grain breads, etc.
• Full fat-dairy- Saturated fats in dairy products can raise your bad LDL levels and increase the risk of heart disease. Sone studies have found that it may worsen your insulin diet. Avoid dairy products made of whole milk, ice cream, cream cheese, full fat yogurt. Look for fat reduced or fat free dairy products instead.
• Packaged snacks and baked goods- Trans fats increase your “bad” (LDL) cholesterol, lower your “good” (HDL) cholesterol, and raise your risk of heart disease. And they are even more dangerous than saturated fats with people who have type 2 diabetes. In fact, no amount of trans fats is deemed safe for you to incorporate into your diet.
• Fried foods- Fried foods typically soak up tons of oil, which equates to lots of extra calories — and many are coated in breading first, jacking up the numbers even more. Overdoing the greasy stuff can pack on the pounds and cause blood sugar chaos.
Foods that are beneficial to people who have type 2 diabetes
• Complex Carbohydrates
• Beans ( black, white, soy, lima, pinto, kidney ) are a winning combination of high quality carbohydrates.
• Oatmeal ( it's packed with soluble fiber, which slows the absorption of glucose from food in your stomach and also keeps the blood sugar levels under control. )
• Fish ( another meal that will keep your blood sugar from rising. )
• Low-Fat yogurt ( it contains high-quality carbohydrates, and protein. It's an excellent food for slowing and preventing a unhealthy raise in blood sugar. )
• Almonds ( contains a high dosage of magnesium, if you have a high daily dosage it reduces the risk of diabetes by 33%. )
• Non-starchy Vegetables ( they are full of vitamins, minerals, and fiber! They are also a high source of high-quality carbohydrates, have a low impact on blood sugar too. )
• Wild Salmon ( omega 3s, help reduce the risk of heart disease. )
• Egg Whites ( high-quality lean protein and also low in carbs. )
• Avocado ( a monounsaturated fat, which are one of the healthiest. Improve insulin sensitivity, and also improves heart health. )
Long term effects of type 2 diabetes
• Kidney disease, also kidney failure.
• Diabetic neuropathy.
• Macrovascular problems.
• Heart disease.
• Nerve damage, also losing toes and fingers.
• High blood glucose can damage the body's blood vessels.
• Eye damage.
• Hearing impairment.
• Skin damage.
• Alzheimers disease.
The duration of aliment for type 2 diabetes
• If you do things that are necessary and beneficial to your treatment plan, such as eating healthy, excersising, and watching your blood sugar levels then yes, type 2 diabetes can go away. BUT some people may have it for life, it depends if it is genetic or not, and if you're doing the proper treatment.