It all began in 1938 when a young man not long out of high school purchased a half-acre of land about five miles west of historic Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia. James (Jimmy) E. Maloney established his small pottery kiln on Route 60 West, Virginia. He offered hand-crafted pottery made in the 17th-18th-century style that he had learned as an apprentice at the Jamestown Colony Pottery. Jimmy named his new business venture the “Williamsburg Pottery”.
What started as a simple roadside pottery stand continued to grow over the years. Dinnerware and glassware were early product additions, followed by many more kinds of merchandise. By the early 1980s, the business known regionally as “The Pottery,” was a sprawling, 200-acre shopping mecca that offered more than 80,000 different items.
James as a young child with his two siblings, Andrew & Marie
James working at Williamsburg Pottery soon after it opened
James later in life, an inspiration, a foundation and his legacy