February 25th Pony News
Building a Brighter Future!
KNOWING OUR NEW CREW
Mrs. Courtney Silvia, Kindergarten Teacher
Hello Ponies! I am excited to be part of the AMAZING Kindergarten Team!
I am originally from a sleepy beach town in Niantic, Connecticut (similar to the town portrayed in Gilmore Girls). I actually always knew I wanted to be a teacher. At first, I thought I would be an art teacher UNTIL I realized I do not have the ability to draw well. :) I then decided that I would focus on early childhood/early elementary school. I started teaching lessons in classrooms through my high school classes and continued on to earn my Associates in Education where I student taught in preschool and a first grade classroom. Right away I enrolled into a partner program to complete my Bachelor’s in Early Childhood/Elementary Education and student taught in a kindergarten and a first grade classroom. These experiences solidified my choice for wanting to teach early elementary.
I worked as a Special Education Assistant in Kindergarten classrooms for two years before moving to Texas in 2013. Upon moving to Texas, while I studied to be certified from out-of-state, I was a manager of a childcare center and was soon hired by Dallas ISD as Pre-K Teacher. I worked with them for three years. Luckily, I was called for an interview with Lewisville Elementary over the summer and I happily accepted the amazing opportunity to be a Kindergarten Teacher.
Fun Facts about me:
I LOVE Hawaii and actually got married on Lanikai Beach in 2013- I can’t wait to return
I have one son, Jacoby, who is 2 ½ and makes me smile everyday :)
I have one furbaby a miniature schnauzer, Lila, who is going to be 10 in March
I enjoy reading, and catching up with new shows on Netflix
My indulgence is a Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks
I am a huge Red Sox and Patriots fan
We have so many Big Mikes in our students! Are we their Leigh Anne Tuohy?
Know their story!
- Knowing your students.
- Knowing their numbers (data).
- Knowing their story.
Let me add one more sentence to that conversation. Most importantly...change their story.
2019 Campus Mission and Vision
- Open House is March 7th.
- 5:30 - 6:30 PM - K through 2nd Grades
- 6:30 - 7:30 PM - 3rd through 5th Grades
- Staff of all special programs (Counselors, Specials, Special Ed., Instructional Specialists): Please coordinate with your teams, so we have representatives during each block. Be available in the hallways and/or stop by your students' classrooms to meet and visit with parents.
Mobile Vision Clinic
Sharing Betty's Story
*** So proud of her! ***
Career Day - Friday, March 1st
- Time: 8:30 - 10:00
- Over 20 amazing guest speakers
- No Pony Time during this time (8:30 - 10:00)
- Look for more information from our wonderful counselors. :-)
Our Pony Week
Monday, February 25th:
- TELPAS window open 2/25 - 4/5
- Technology LF
Tuesday, February 26th:
- TEKS & ELPS Collaboration - 3rd, 4th, K
- 3-5 Lang. Arts Facilitator on campus
- Multilingual Coordinator on campus
Wednesday, February 27th:
- Dress for Success
- Learning Leaders (Principal)
- Vertical Alignment Meetings - after school
Thursday, February 28th
- Girls LWAL
- TELPAS 3RD WRITING SAMPLE DUE (PAST EXPERIENCE)
- K-1ST WRITING SAMPLE DUE
- Family Engagement Night 5:30 to 6:30 (ACE Program)
Friday, March 1st:
- TELPAS READING ONLINE PRACTICE (MAKE-UP SESSION)
- Career Day 8:30-10:00
Important Days Coming Up
- March 4th: NEU Rally 2:20 - 2:45
- March 5th: NO TEKS & ELPS Collaboration Sessions this week
- March 5th: AUTHOR VISIT(Library)
- March 6th: BLT 3:15 - 4:15 Poverty Simulation/Trauma informed session Part 3
- March 7th: 3rd Grade Symphony Field Trip
- March 7th: TELPAS SAMPLES DUE: 1 sample from K-3rd, and 2 samples from 4th-5th -personal narrative & Social Studies
- March 7th: Open House
- March 7th: Rotary Reads
- March 8th: STUDENT EARLY RELEASE/END OF 3RD NINE WEEKS.
Student Early Release Schedule for March 8th
The early release schedule has been adjusted due to an earlier release time. For lunch, kinder and 1st will each go through a serving line. Kinder and 1st will each receive 30 minutes in the cafeteria and will be eating at the cafeteria tables.
Click here for instructions
- Mrs. Myers. She does so many things for our Ponies. She is amazing.
- Thank you Mrs. Hernandez for the awesome Book Fair! - Izzy ;-)
- Berg & his class for teaching us all about protractors! Vertical collaboration and student led learning at its best!
- Rutherford for putting together such an awesome writing review unit for fourth grade!
- Rubio for staying calm under pressure!
- Valdes for supporting her teachers!
- Hernandez for the “Bookintine” in my box! ❤️
- Whoever put the great soap in the staff restrooms!
- McNamara for the pencils & scissors!
- Silvia for the filing cabinet!
- Mrs. Rutherford for all of the time and effort you put into creating the lessons for Saturday School.
- Maurier for giving me great ideas!
- MRS. ODEN: THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR HELPING ME MOVE AND REARRANGE THE TABLES IN MY CLASSROOM. YOU ARE AMAZING MRS. ODEN!!!!
- Mrs. Rutherford and Mrs, Guerrero for making Saturday School happen.
- Mrs. McNamara for not giving up on her kids.
- Mrs. Brinegar and Ms. McKensey for always finding a way to help our student help.
- Mrs. Rockne for being so encouraging to her students.
- Mrs. Morales for being available and supportive.
- Mrs. Carlson for being a great team player and covering an ARD meeting for another teacher.
- Mrs. Vando for being such an amazing professional. She loves and knows everything about our school.
- Ms. Becker for always doing the right thing.
- Mrs. Oporto for being a fantastic team leader.
- Mr. Ledesma fo being willing to spend his Mondays and Fridays helping kids after school.
- Mrs. Gray for her dedication to her students and her high expectations.
- Mrs. Bodiford for inviting her students to eat with her.
Happy March Birthdays
- Shuntel Green -- March 3rd
- Brandes Bodiford --March 4th
- Marisol Anguita-Otero -- March 5th
- Yvette Bernal -- March 5th
- Letiza Quezada -- March 12th
- Melissa Villegas -- March 18th
- Kristin Fraizer -- March 31st