Developing Minds Nurturing Hearts- September 14, 2020
A Note From Dr. Wendland
It is hard to believe that we have already begun to plan for our goal-setting parent conferences to take place next week! As teachers prepare for these meetings with you, they will use questioning and student work samples to determine how best to help students reach grade-level goals. We are noticing that many students are receiving support from parents or other adults at home who supply answers or have students change answers without truly understanding why their responses were not accurate. Please remain from providing answers to your children, especially during instructional time. Doing so gives teachers a false sense of which students need help or reteaching. If you notice that your child is struggling with a concept or task, it is best to email the teacher directly to let him or know so that they can meet with your child to help. Thank you so much for your continued partnership during this time. I am eager to meet with you during our Coffee With The Principal this Thursday! Please be sure to review the information below and contact our office with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Be safe and Be well,
Mark Your Calendar
Important Dates This Week
Mark Your Calendar:
- Thursday, September 24th Community Club Meeting @2:30 p.m. CLICK HERE TO JOIN
- Monday, September 28th School Site Council @ 2:30 p.m
Friday Flag Salute
Friday Flag Salute With Friends
1. Record your child while holding your phone horizontally <----- --------->
Good morning, my name is ( first name, last name) I am in _____ Grade with (teacher's name)
Please stand for the flag salute (wait 5 seconds)
Put your right hand over your heart (wait 5 seconds)
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation, under God indivisible, with liberty and justice for all
Peace on earth
**It has been Collegewood tradition for many decades to say "Peace on earth" at the end of our salute**
2. Download the video as an mp4
3. Email me the video at email@example.com
I will be adding videos on Fridays throughout the school year.
Community Club Corner
Community Club News
Although we aren’t physically at school, our goal is to make it a memorable year for our students and families. We continue to collaborate to bring some fun experiences and spirit for our students. Cougar Wear is available online now, so you can get those Collegewood T-shirts and More! Please CLICK HERE to order your Collegewood gear!
We also kicked off our Annual Booster Drive on Aug 24th, we will continue to fundraise through October 2nd to help our students for the 2020-21 school year. Please check out our flyer for details and information on what your donations support. Click HERE to view all the details and donate online today!
*Please note: You can still choose to send in a check at checkout. Please mail your check directly to the school address attention Community Club:
Collegewood Elementary School
Attn: Community Club Booster
20725 E. Collegewood Drive
Walnut, CA 91789
BOX TOPS have gone digital. Box Tops for Education is a fast and easy way for you to help out from home. HERE’S HOW IT WORKS: buy participating products and use the Box Tops mobile app to scan your store receipts... even if you’re shopping online or doing grocery pickup, you can simply submit your e-receipts and earn for Collegewood! Your earnings may seem small, but they really do add up. The more people that participate, the bigger the impact to our school. Download the app today, and make sure to select Collegewood as your school.
Family Dinner Nights Stop by Chick-Fil-A City of Industry on September 24th. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to our school!
Our September community club meeting will be held on Thursday, September 24th at 2:30PM. You can find the meeting link on our school website under Community Club à Club Meetings. Hope to see you all there!
Thank you in advance to all our Collegewood Families for their support… Let’s make it a great year!
Sincerely, Collegewood Community Club
Thank you for your consideration and support! We greatly appreciate it!
All my best,
News From the District Office
Distance Learning Behavior Expectations
As a reminder:
- Please make sure your child has their camera ON
- Please do not encourage your child to eat meals or snacks while instruction is happening
- Teachers are working to determine what each child knows and how best to help them- - Please do not provide answers to questions to your child.
- Students should be fed and dressed BEFORE 8:00 a.m. and ready to start the school day on time
- Please remind your children, just like in the classroom, they should not be playing with toys, family pets, or siblings.
- Please note that GO GUARDIAN allows the teacher to monitor your child's screen activity while they are logged into their school account. This is to help teachers know when students have additional tabs open that are not related to learning, assist them with finding links, and provide other technical support. It is important that your child use their school account for learning.
You may review the district guidelines in their entirety by clicking HERE
Do you need information or support during Distance Learning?
Overall school concerns/questions/Special Education: Mary Wendland, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Overall school questions: Tamie Liptak, Administrative Assistant email@example.com
Enrollment/ Attendance: Gaby Manganiello, Office Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org
English Learners: Laura O'Donnell, Elementary Learning Specialist email@example.com
Intervention: Mindy Martin, Title 1 Specialist firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about how your child is progressing/homework/class questions: contact your child's teacher
Questions or help with technology: Help desk email@example.com
Questions and support with Distance Learning: Resma Byrne, Director of Special Programs firstname.lastname@example.org
Virtual Parent Symposium- Saturday, September 26th, 8am Please save the date for WVUSD Virtual Parent Symposium!
USDA Extends Free Meals Waivers through December 31st
Students will be able to receive meals at no cost. Meals can be picked up at several curbside meal distribution locations by a parent/guardian. Meals can be picked up for all your students at one location. Student does NOT have to be present.
Breakfast & Lunch are served daily from 11:30 a.m. - 1:10 p.m.
If you choose to purchase a school lunch for your child, please adhere to the procedures below.
1. Enter the parking lot with a mask on.
2. Place a piece of paper with your child's first name, last name and student ID number on it
3. Follow the traffic directions
4. Roll the window down and lunch will be provided to you
5. Meals will be charged according to eligibility status: Free, Reduced, or Paid.
o A Free/Reduced-Price meal application is available online at www.lunchapplication.com
*It is important that you remain in your vehicle at all times*
· $0.30 (reduced)
· $2.00 (paid/second meal)
· $2.75 (visitor)
· $0.40 (reduced)
· $3.00 (paid/second meal)
· $4.00 (visitor)
Below is some additional information on cost and payment for the National School Breakfast and Lunch Program:
- Meals will be charged according to eligibility status: Free, Reduced, or Paid.
- You may qualify for Free/Reduced-Price meals. Apply online at www.lunchapplication.com.
- Please deposit money into your student’s account via eFunds or send cash/check to your school site. Checks should be made payable to WVUSD - Nutrition Services and include student name/ID# in the memo section.
- E-funds online prepayment option is available on our website www.walnutnutrition.org.
How To Translate Newsletters
Translate All Newsletters
All newsletters are able to be translated in multiple languages
Translation on PC or Laptop
Click on the upper right-hand corner and choose the preferred language
Translation on Mobile Device
Click at the top of the page and choose the preferred language