Viking Pride - February 22, 2021
A Note from Principal Pappas
Dear Valhalla Community,
On Saturday morning, most families in MDUSD received an email requesting online registration information to plan for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year.
The registration survey provides you the choice of one of two options for the remainder of the 2020-21 school year. It is imperative that we receive 100% participation for each student by March 1st.
The information will be used to assign students to an afternoon support teacher, either in-person or online. While families may have the option to switch to a different model at a later date, this information is being collected with the intent to use it for planning afternoon session assignments.
For each student enrolled, please choose one of two options for the remainder of the school year:
Option #1: Student continues with distance learning in the morning and then comes to the school site for “in-person” support in the afternoon two days per week.
Option #2: Student continues with 100% distance learning and will not receive on-campus support.
In response to community input, in both options, students will keep their currently assigned teachers in the morning time slots. It is possible that students may see a different teacher in the afternoon.
If you did not receive a unique and individualized “family-specific” registration survey on Saturday, you may click (or type) this link https://rebrand.ly/mdusdReturnToSchool to access the “general” registration survey.
If you need assistance with accessing the general registration survey, please call or email me and I will collect the information and input it into the survey for you.
Please note that finalized schedules will be released once there is agreement with our labor partners.
Thank you for your patience and flexibility during this unprecedented time.
Theodora Pappas, Principal
Valhalla re-opening checklist:
- Bathroom stalls taped off (every other one)
- Bathroom sinks taped off (every other one)
- Drinking fountains shut off/bagged up. Water bottle fillers open.
- Contactless COVID-19 health attestation for staff
- Contactless COVID-19 health attestation for guests
- Painting of sidewalk/common areas to show ingress, egress, and reminder of 6ft social distancing
- COVID-19 precautionary signage on doors and windows
- Plexiglass barrier in office and every classroom
- Safety door tag on all classroom doors
- Protocol for students or staff that exhibit symptoms or with confirmed close contact
- Protocol for contact tracing
- Contactless thermometers available as needed.
- Daily classroom and campus cleaning schedule - teachers to use door tags to let custodian know that the room has been occupied and needs to be cleaned.
- Parking lot rules established - the use of drop off zone for immediate drop off by parents (no parking - just drop and go)
Classroom preparation and supplies*:
- Hand sanitizer
- Disinfectant spray
- Face shield (teacher)
- Disposable gloves (teacher)
- Face masks (teacher and student)
- Student seats 6 feet apart
- A/B marking on desks (as requested by teacher)
- MERV 13 filters (Are all updated, except for Thor Hall)
*Supplies have been provided by MDUSD.*
Thank you Officer Bothello for checking in with us and giving input on reopening!
Sticker reminders have been placed in common areas to support staying safe!
Social distance markers to help keep us safe!
Re-Opening Plan/District Info:
From the 2/10 board meeting regarding reopening:
Summary: Mt. Diablo Unified School District (MDUSD) staff have drafted a safe reopening plan, following the Health Guidelines for Spring 2021. MDUSD has applied core principles when planning for and implementing the practices and protocol offered in this planning document. Prioritizing safety, maximizing learning, and promoting equity are critical drivers for each area addressed.
The protocols and practices offered in this planning booklet further instill our students with persistence, resilience, and adaptability that will serve them well now and in their future. The learning of content and skills is able to continue flourishing during the COVID-19 pandemic because of the commitment to high quality standards. All our decisions and practices are in support of our students learning as robustly and enthusiastically as possible.
Next Board Meeting: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 6pm
Every board meeting is very important. This board meeting will include more information about reopening when safe to do so. Please watch and stay informed.
At the upcoming board meeting this week, several items on the agenda also relate to reopening:
Upcoming Meeting Dates (2021):
February 24, March 10, March 24, April 14, April 28, May 12, June 9, June 23, August 11, August 25, September 8, September 22, October 13, October 27, November 10, and December 8.
Meetings will include a Closed Session, with no public access, beginning at 5:00PM, and an Open Session, with public access, beginning at 6:00PM.