Help The Ocean
Negative & Postive Ways Human Effective The Ocean
- Trash is becoming a larger and larger problem for us and for the environment. As we continue to waste more and more, we use more natural resources and increase pollution in our world.
- compromises the health of humans, wildlife and the livelihoods that depend on a healthy ocean.
2. Positive Ways
- The international Coastal Clean-- Is the biggest trash clean up for the ocean
- Recycling : 50-80% of marine debris is plastic. It breaks down into smaller pieces, but never goes away. The ocean’s five major gyres, giant swirling currents, often trap this debris
2. Oil Spills
- Spilled oil can harm living things because its chemical constituents are poisonous. This can affect organisms both from internal exposure to oil through ingestion or inhalation and from external exposure through skin and eye
- very "heavy" oils (like bunker oils, which are used to fuel ships) look black and may be sticky for a time until they weather sufficiently, but even then they can persist in the environment for months or even years if not removed. While these oils can be very persistent
- American Pollution Control Corp. (AMPOL) is a full-service environmental contractor that specializes in inland, near-shore, and offshore AMPOL leads the way to clean up Oil Spills with 24/7 response
3. Over Fishing
- Overfishing occurs when more fish are caught than the population can replace through natural reproduction. Gathering as many fish as possible may seem like a profitable practice, but overfishing has serious consequences. The results not only affect the balance of life in the oceans.
- The UN food and agriculture organisation (FAO) has estimated that 70 percent of the fish population is fully used, overused or in crisis.
Trawling drags huge nets through the ocean that scoop up every animal and the ecosystem in its pathway.
4. Dead Zones
- Hypoxic zones are areas in the ocean of such low oxygen concentration that animal life suffocates and dies, and as a result are sometimes called "dead zones." Each spring as farmers fertilize their lands preparing for crop season, rain washes fertilizer off the land and into streams and rivers.
- The dead zone forms in one of the most productive fisheries areas of the United States, and has led to increasing concern that catches are being adversely affected - or will be affected if hypoxic conditions continue or worsen.
- Safe Zones
Safe Zones are the best way to stop dead zones since it stop anything that kills coral reefs. Safe zones do cost a lot of money due to ask to not boat over the safe zone.
More Drilling is Dangerous and Won't Make a Difference
Projections from the Energy Information Administration indicate that an expansion of offshore drilling wouldn't lower gas prices until 2030, and then by only a few cents per gallon. With only two percent of the world's reserves, the U.S. contribution to the global market could never be high enough to significantly alter world oil prices.
- Ocean life migrate
The acoustic disturbance to marine mammals from offshore oil development is of particular concern, as underwater noise can affect communication, migration, feeding, mating and other important functions in whales, seals and walrus,
- Jobs & Tourism
There are more job opens in drillings, so more jobs is less poverty.
Tourisms will bring money into the company which will increases in safety for the ocean.
- Energy Efficiency is the Real Solution
The most effective way to reduce consumer costs for gasoline and to stop sending oil dollars overseas is to improve energy efficiency. We can invest in more efficient cars and trucks, cleaner fulls.