Complaints and Concerns
Parents/Guardians are expected to make direct contact with the identified school member if they have any concerns regarding their child. To respect the interests of your child and that of the staff of the school, the following procedures must be followed.
Concern with a Teacher
If the concern is with the teacher or a classroom situation, the contact must be made directly to the teacher by calling the school’s office and leaving instructions for the teacher to call the parent or guardian. All staff members can be contacted using their Edison-issued email address or their personal or google-issued phone number for contact. It is important to remember that the teacher cannot take calls during instructional times. The school’s administration will be able to arrange a conference with the teacher if the parent so desires.
● If, after contact is made, the parent still has concerns, he/she is expected to contact the Principal for further clarification.
● If, after contacting the Principal, the concern is still unresolved, an appeal can be made to the CEO/Executive Director.
Concern with a Member of the Leadership team
● If the concern is with a member of the leadership team, the contact must be made directly with the Leadership Team Member.
● If, after contact is made, the parent still has concerns, he/she is expected to contact the CEO/Executive Director.
● If, after contacting the CEO/Executive Director, and the concern is unresolved, an appeal can be made to the Edison School Board Chair.
Concern with the Principal or Executive Director
● If the concern is with the Principal or Executive Director, the contact must be made directly with the Principal or Executive Director.
● If, after contacting the Principal or Executive Director the concern is unresolved, an appeal can be made to the Edison School Board Chair.
*All complaint responses shall take no longer than 3 business days to respond.
* If there is a language barrier between the school representatives and the parent/guardian, the school will secure an interpreter for all communication.
*If the concern involves a student with an IEP or 504 Plan, the school shall follow all State and Federal rules and regulations.
* If the concern involves a student safety issue, the school shall immediately notify the Executive Director.
*Under no circumstances will Edison consider first-impression complaints presented at public meetings. Individuals will not be permitted to submit a complaint during public comment at a public board meeting
*Please note that all special education complaints, including that a school has not implemented federal or state special education rules, or has failed to comply with an order issued by an independent hearing officer, should be filed with the Indiana Department of Education. See https://ichamp.doe.in.gov/ for more details.