October 28 - November 1
I am excited to see the progress our class has made! Your child has been working very hard, learning new material. In Math, we are learning to recognize our shapes. We have been looking for the different shapes within our classroom, and naming them all. In Science, we are observing different types of rocks, soil, and sand. Our class has been discussing the importance these materials have on Earth. In Social Studies, we are learning about basic needs. We are creating a poster to decorate with pictures of things we need, as well as things we want. Our focus in Language Arts this week is rhyming. We are reading books about rhyming, recognizing rhyming pairs, and thinking of our own words that rhyme. Although we are working very hard in class, it would be a great idea to practice rhyming with your child at home. Below, I will put a list of recommended books to read with your child. If you would like to read any of them, your child can check them out at our school library and take them home. You may also purchase these books at most bookstores. Another great idea would be to pick out items from your home and have your child list words that rhyme with that item. This is not required, but this extra practice at home would be greatly appreciated.
I want to thank you for the opportunity to teach your child, and I look forward to meeting with you within the next two weeks. If you have any questions before we meet, you are more than welcome to email or call me. Enjoy the rest of your week!
- Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin by Lloyd Moss http://www.amazon.com/Zin-Violin-Aladdin-Picture-Books/dp/0689835248/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384409542&sr=8-1&keywords=zin+zin+zin+a+violin
- Is Your Mama a Llama? by Deborah Guarino http://www.amazon.com/Your-Mama-Llama-Deborah-Guarino/dp/0590259385/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384409584&sr=8-1&keywords=is+your+mama+a+llama
- Frederick by Leo Lionni http://www.amazon.com/Frederick-Leo-Lionni/dp/0394826140/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384409624&sr=8-1&keywords=frederick
- Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss http://www.amazon.com/The-Cat-Hat-Beginner-Books/dp/039480001X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384409649&sr=8-1&keywords=cat+in+the+hat
- Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet and Allan Ahlberg http://www.amazon.com/Each-Peach-Pear-Picture-Puffins/dp/014050639X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384409683&sr=8-1&keywords=each+peach+pear+plum
- Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae http://www.amazon.com/Giraffes-Cant-Dance-Giles-Andreae/dp/0545392551/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384409704&sr=8-1&keywords=giraffes+can%27t+dance
- Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown http://www.amazon.com/Goodnight-Moon-Margaret-Wise-Brown/dp/0694003611/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384409734&sr=8-2&keywords=goodnight+moon
- Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss http://www.amazon.com/Green-Eggs-Ham-Read-Myself/dp/0394800168/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384409756&sr=8-1&keywords=green+eggs+and+ham
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. http://www.amazon.com/Chicka-Boom-Classic-Board-Books/dp/1442450703/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384409776&sr=8-1&keywords=chicka+chicka+boom+boom