MCA Weekly Wrap-Up!
Primary & KinderPrep Family News - Jan. 19, 2018
Over the next couple of months, our elementary teachers are going to be spending time collaborating about "power strategies" for reading comprehension. In order for our students to be problem solvers and world-changers, they need to have the ability to read and understand text at a high level. In Christian education, this is so important to us because we want our students to read and ask questions with discerning hearts!
Hopefully you will begin to hear the language of comprehension in your household as your child reads and talks about what it is he or she is reading. Here are some of the strategies you can look for!
- Make Connections- how does the text connect to something I already know?
- Visualize- what do I see when I read this text/story?
- Ask Questions- before, during, and after reading
- Infer- ask "I wonder..." questions and infer answers using clues from the text
- Determine Importance- use text features like bold print, captions, and headings
- Synthesize- how do I use what I've read to create my own ideas?
I would encourage you to help your students use the language of deep comprehension as they read at home- picture books, chapter books, textbooks, and even Bible stories. We are excited to grow as readers and learners throughout this second semester!
More SOAR-ing Successes!
Updates and Reminders!
- ACSI Regional Spelling Bee at Maranatha means we will not have classes for grades K-6 on that Friday, January 26th. Jr. and Sr. High will still be in session, as well as KinderPrep.
- MAP's (Maranatha Association of Parents) Whooville Carnival is at the North campus next Sunday, January 28th from 2:00-4:00. Volunteers are still needed, and you can sign up right here!
Elementary Yearbooks On Sale Now!
A Note from Parents in Prayer
Parents in Prayer will meet Tuesday morning, January 23rd, from 8-8:30 a.m. in room 106 at South campus. We invite you to come pray with us! We hope to see you Tuesday for a united time of prayer with other MCA families!
Each week, we will ask for you to focus on a part of our MCA family. This week, please pray for our Extended Care staff (Ms. Falk and Ms. Gardner), Preschool Director Mrs. Hartwick, and our KinderPrep staff.
Upcoming After-School Clubs
MCA Speech Club (for grades 3-6):
In Speech Club we will work on:
*how to stand in front of an audience,
*make eye contact,
*use appropriate gestures and facial expressions,
*how to speak clearly, slowly, and audibly, and
*how to memorize a speech for competition
When: Every Thursday, January 11-March 1
Where: Multipurpose Room on the South Campus
*Transportation is provided for 3rd graders from the North Campus to the South Campus.
Cost: No cost to join. Students who participate in the ACSI
Speech Meet will be required to pay a $10 ACSI student participation fee
Who: Any 3rd-6th grade students
For questions, contact Mrs. Sutton at email@example.com
Bricks for Kids Lego Club (for grades 1-5):
See flyer below. Registration is completely online- please make sure you select our school!