Mrs. Lee's Weekly Update
News for the Week of September 19, 2012
Your child will be bringing home a red Weekly Communication Folder each Wednesday with school and class information. I was trying to avoid two folders, but there was too much getting put in the Daily Folder. Please check the Communication Folder for important information, sign and return any papers, then return the folders on Thursday.
First grade will be taking MAPS testing this year. This will be used to determine each child's instructional level and measure growth throughout the year. Please see the letter concerning this in your child's Communication Folder. We will test on the following dates: September 27, October 4, October 9, and October 15.
- Reading Workshop- using strategies when we get stuck on a word: using the picture, getting mouth ready, stretching out words slowly
- Shared Reading- using reading strategies to decode unknown words, reading known words correctly, reading words in phrases for fluency
- Writing Workshop- using an Editor's Checklist, Authors write about things they are interested in
- Math Workshop- numeration: reading, writing, matching numbers and sets
- Social Social- learning about our community
School pictures will be October 2. They will take class and individual pictures. Please see the picture information in the Communication Folder.
A permission slip is in the Communication Folder for our field trip to Charlotte Children's Theater on October 18. The cost of the trip is $8.00. All money and permission slips are due by October 1.
Mark Your Calendars
- September 27- MAPS testing
- October 1- Field trip money and permission slip due
- October 2- School Pictures