CLF Post 16 Newsletter
12th June 2015
Upcoming Post 16 Dates
19th June 2015
KOA Leavers Prom - Grand Hotel
24th June 2015
Plymouth Open Day trip
26th June 2015
JCA Y12 & Y13 Leavers Assembly 12pm - 3pm - Eye
29th June 2015
UCAS for Parents Information night 6pm - 8pm - Venue TBC
3rd July 2015
Cardiff University Residential Trip
10th July 2015
JCA Prom - Totos Wine Bar
10th July 2015
Bristol Brunel Inset Day
13th August 2015
AS/A2 Results Day & Clearing
5th September 2015
Exeter Open Day trip
Upcoming UCAS Dates
Students return into Year 13 and UCAS process begins involving:
use of UCAS booklet, assemblies/workshops, University visits, tutor/mentor 1-2-1s
UCAS evening for Parents and Students
Students to have completed quality personal statement draft and begun online application
Students begin to finalise application & work with tutors to perfect personal statements
Deadline for Oxbridge, medicine, dentistry applications to be sent
Half term (21st October)
Aim for submission of application
End of November
Deadline for all applications to be sent
- Emily Broadwell and Louise Munroe James from BBA have both secured fantastic 'Year in Industry' positions for next year before applying to University. Both girls have completed their A level studies a year early and we are proud of their achievements!
- CLF Alumni - one of our Ex students from JCA, Ruth Salmon has just finished her degree in Psychology at Plymouth University, where she achieved a first! Congratulations Ruth.
- Envision Update - our students are through to the semi finals, presenting their project at Burgess Salmon on Friday. Good luck!
- A big congratulations to Tom Jackson and Chloe Wood at HWA who have both obtained paid summer internships with N-Gaged and MITIE, respectively. They had to go through three rounds of interviews and were up against some tough competition. This will look great on their UCAS statements! Well done to you both.
Personal Statement session
JCA had an assembly this week about writing personal statements. There is an opportunity for students who are unsure if they want to go to university or unsure of what course to take to have a 40 minute 1-2-1 meeting with a HE specialist from UWE. Students need to contact Jennie (email@example.com) if they want to schedule a meeting. Meetings will either take place this month or in September. Students who are unsure what course to take but don’t want a 1-2-1 meeting should try using http://www.ukcoursefinder.com/ which will help to narrow down options based on the preferences selected.
Clearing 2015 : UCAS’ New Service For Applicants
All students can sign up for this (in addition to Clearing which applicants are encouraged to use in the usual way) if they submitted their application before 30 June and paid the full £23 fee. They need to sign up BEFORE A Level results day on 13 August.
It will allow universities and colleges to make direct contact with unplaced students once they have their results, to offer them a place on a relevant course.
- The aim is to help applicants secure a place more quickly,
- The service is entirely optional.
- Applicants who sign up can still go through Clearing in the same way as previous years – if they want to.
- Applicants don’t have to accept any offers they receive, and should consider all options before committing to a place.
- We'll ensure protocols and guidelines for contacting applicants are clear.
- Each applicant will be approached by a maximum of five universities or colleges.
- All current applicants from your centre will receive an email invitation in the week commencing 20 April with the option to sign up to this free service.
- If applicants who have signed up fulfil their offer conditions and receive a confirmed place on results day, their name will be removed from the service and they won’t be contacted.
For year 12's new UCAS buzzword is CLF2016, new UCAS booklets are available for your centres. please ask your Post 16 team for help or to request these.
Click below to download the letter for the UCAS Parents information night on the 29th of June at Kings Oak Academy at 6pm. Please contact Andy Hunter (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information.
Exeter University Trip
Contact us ASAP - spaces limited.
Cardiff and Plymouth University should have all money and permission slips in by now.
JCA Leavers Assembly!
CLF Year 13 Prom - Last chance for tickets!
Year 13 Prom organised by KOA students - this is taking place at The Grand Hotel on Friday 19th June. The cost is £22 to include a buffet and as much dancing as you can handle! If you would like to attend please see Michelle at KOA, money to be paid by 30th April.
Work Experience! The time to apply is NOW
It's time to start looking for your work experience places!! Placement is Monday 13th July - Friday 17th July so your time is fast approaching! For hints and tips click here