AL PGCE Update January 2016
With Success Comes Challenge- Without Challenge No Learning
Year 2 students across the group feel supported by the PGCE program and shared their appreciation for different learning opportunities. In Reading we have begun Mindfulness Training with Joe Holloway. A couple of students have recently been hired by AL in Banbury to cover some variable hours. We also just hosted Wroxton College Teaching Interns visiting from the states in Banbury as a bit of an exchange. We have maintained 100% retention of students with over 50% of them pursuing Masters Level work.
Year 1 students also feel supported by the program and have often shared that they are learning new strategies each week to implement in their own teaching practice. They have begun mindfulness training with Allistair Woodstock in Oxford. They have had an 80% success rate on the first assignment with the other 20% needing a referral for a variety of reasons. From our first year rosters we have declined in enrollment: 2 have deferred in Reading; 1 was withdrawn from Oxford; 2 have deferred from Oxford. Reasons for these shifts vary and in all but one case the students expressed that they had been supported and encouraged to stick with the program but felt that their personal hurdles were too much of an obstacle right now.
Year 2 Action Research Topics
PGCE Year 2 Students across AL are engaging in action research. Each study responds to a different curiosity raised by the students. All the studies are grounded in learning theory, and ideology. By early May students will be presenting their findings. Some of the topics include:
Oxford University Partnership
We are partnering with Oxford University to provide opportunities for uni students whom are interested in teaching to job shadow our teachers/tutors for 3 days to learn more about the job. This experience will benefit the university students by providing them first hand experience to the world of FE and beyond and will benefit our FE students to talk with Uni students and hopefully become inspired. Check here for more information about the program- http://tinyurl.com/OxfordUniTeach. If you would like to sign up for a uni student to shadow you and or members in your department please complete this form: http://tinyurl.com/OxfordUniJobShadow. The first round is 15-17 March.
Teacher Awards Program
Under the leadership of Sian Cabrera we are launching an Activate Learning Teacher Awards program beginning in February. The program will be 85% online with the exception of a micro-teach session. After successful completion of this program teachers whom participate will earn the Award and be great candidates to begin the PGCE next year, Sept 2016. In this program teachers will become versed in the Learning Philosophy and receive some beginning teacher strategies to help improve instruction. WE will focus on ways to effectively embed maths and English along with formative assessment. Check here for more information: https://magic.piktochart.com/output/10087937-untitled-infographic
Year 2 Action Research Topics
- How to teach with Project Based instruction in an exam assessed course?
- What are some effective strategies for teaching multiple levels within a single course?
- If you teach Growth Mindset to struggling students will they themselves improve academically?
- Do students achieve more using Google Classroom for learning and completing homework then paper/pencil homework assignments?..